General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/190/140

Height: 5'9

Default Cutting out bread completely?

The main problem in my current diet is that I can not control my bread in take. As soon as I have had one piece I just keep eating more and more. On a bad day I can eat as much as half a pack by myself. It is a big concern for me and it seems to be the main source of my weight gain.

Surprisingly I can go up to a month without eating any bread and still have no cravings for it. Also, when I am not eating bread I lose weight really quick and I usually get more energy. Because of this I am seriously considering cutting bread out of my diet all together.

My question is, do you guys think this is a good/safe idea?

Any advise would be highly appreciated
Fria34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #2  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Yep, there's no such thing as an essential type of food. Count yourself lucky that you've only got one big source, that you've found it out, and that you're able to cut yourself off of it for so long.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

There are no nutrients unique to bread or even grains, so go for it if you think it will help. I am one of those people who just can't have bread around so I do understand.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yes it is safe to eat a bread-free, wheat-free and even an entirely grain-free diet. There are many books written on the subject of grain-free diets, so I'd recommend just going to amazon.com and in the search bar typing "grain free diets" or the word diet and any of the following terms terms

Paleo, Primal, Neanderthin, Paleolithic...

then go to your local library looking for some of the titles that looked interestng to you.

One thing to keep in mind when giving up bread, is that modern breads and bread flours have often been fortified with vitamins and minerals that can be found in other foods, but some of these are foods that have become scarcer in the Standard American Diet.

What that essentially means, is that if you give up grains and bread, you will want to eat a wide variety of other plant foods.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

This bread baker gave up bread. It's essentially sugar, so you don't need it. I still make it for my family, but I skip it. Now that it's been out of my system, I don't crave it any more either.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #6  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: Started SB 12/18/09 334/-/?

Height: 5'6"

I can't eat bread either.I've tried several times and have decided to just give up trying for now cause when i do,my weight stalls Thankfully I've never been a bread eater so it doesn't bother me not having any.I can eat wheat crackers and popcorn with no problem,go figure.
If you know that's how it does you and is hindering your progress,try to find another grain that doesn't effect you like that.We have to find foods that work for us over the long haul.That's great that you're staying aware of how foods make you feel

Last edited by OnaMi; 03-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.
OnaMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #7  
SanityNow

Oh, how I love my mini bagels...
I can be very happy without bread, though. The thing with me and bread is because bread is so EASY, I can become lazy with other, better for me foods and default to bread.
So, yes, I agree with a no-bread policy
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I gave up bread and I feel great! Lose weight faster and I don't get sugar spikes that cause cravings, I'm way less hungry.

I do Atkins currently.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #9  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I don't eat any regular sliced bread but if I really want a sandwich I have it in a wholemeal pitta bread. I don't really miss it except the odd time when I crave buttered toast. Ooh well
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #10  
threenorns

sounds like you have a bread addiction - do you, by any chance, also like beer and creamed corn? if so, the yeast would be the culprit.

i'm the same way - i'm okay as long as i don't start but once i start, that loaf is *done*.