South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/195/165

Height: 5'6

Default Worrying things aren't working!

I'm coming to the end of the second week of Phase 1 and I'm worried I either didn't lose any weight or may even have gained some. The ring I wear daily all of a sudden is squeezing my finger today, and I just don't feel any lighter. I lost 10lbs my first week of Phase 1, could this just be backlash. To be perfectly honest I didn't think I was gonna lose any weight last week either and I did, so perhaps I'm just being paranoid, I'm just worried. Before starting SBD I had several weeks of weight gain or stagnancy, and I just don't want to go back to that. Yoyoing is the worst. I admit, I could have done better this week. I didn't eat anything not on plan, I just ate a lot and could have gotten what I ate in healthier forms. Any thoughts would be appreciated as it's kinda got me down. I don't weigh in til tomorrow which is also a bit of a struggle for me because I was weighing in daily, but when I started SBD two weeks ago I made a point to only weigh myself once a week. Any tips for getting back on my game? Should I do Phase 1 for another week? Thanks.
RingSize8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Maybe there was a lot of hidden salt in what you ate, and what you are experiencing is just water weight. Try drinking a lot of plain water to try to flush it out. And congratulations for losing 10 lbs. in your first week! That's fantastic!

Please remember that once you start Phase 2, you'll be losing at a much slower rate, which is normal and the healthy way to lose. Most of us follow a Phase 1.5, meaning we only have one starchy carb or one fruit a day, which is a way of "easing" into Phase 2.
Check out our stickied threads in our FAQ's for lots of helpful information on how to begin Phase 2, and good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

If you are finishing your P1 without eating foods that are not on the P1 list you are accomplishing your first great success! I always feel water weight in my fingers. I ate some off plan, and salty food last Sunday and my weight was up 5 pounds on Monday. I do not call that gaining. It took a few days but now it's back down.

You have done fantastic losing weight, so far. SBD is a great step in learning how to maintain losses while following a healthy lifestyle. No need to feel paranoid. Are you feeling better...less cravings....more energy??

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #4  
Getting back into it

S/C/G: 170/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Probably salt, as everyone is saying. Also, I had similar feelings during the second week of Phase 1 and was afraid of Phase 2 after feeling like I hadn't lost weight, so I did Phase 1 for one more week. More weight came off. I'm now in what some of us call Phase 1.5, very carefully introducing foods I didn't eat during Phase 1 to see how my body responds (some grains can cause cravings, some fruit can leave you feeling hungry).

Stay with it, weight loss will vary. Wise to weigh yourself once a week so you aren't fixating on the scale and the day-to-day variations like salt intake, monthly cycle, etc (on that note, I'm on the other side of the menopause transition, but my teen-age daughter can set off symptoms in me with her cycle. I have some water retention just before she starts her period.
smarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Could it be that time of the month? (TOM) Make sure you get lots of water and veggies in!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #6  
Goal: A Healthy Me

Height: 5' 6"

I feel the same way. The first 3 days I lost 4lbs (assuming mostly water weight), then gained one back so I'm down only 3 total for a week and a half on SB. It's so frustrutating - I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I don't weigh everyday, but everytime I get on it's the same damn weight.
Kelly J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

I'd agree the ring could be from sodium.

As for the fact you haven't lost this week, that is very common! Many beachers get a nice whoosh the first week and nothing or even a gain the second week. My theory is that you are losing a lot of water initially and your scale just finally catches up.

But, you did comment that you ate a lot so I will share that I can very easily overeat even "on plan" foods. That's a big struggle of mine - to just eat when I'm hungry.

I don't think you should continue PH1. Just read the FAQs, as suggested, and take transitioning to PH2 slowly. Hang in there!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 303/195/165

Height: 5'6

Thanks everyone!

I was feeling kinda down but reading everyone's responses actually made me feel much better. I end Phase 1 on Monday, and whatever happens, I haven't cheated (even though I REALLY wanted to a time or two), I've had way more energy, and I overall really like this eating plan. ...the sad reality is, I really need to start exercising. But again, thank you for your comments all. I don't really have anyone in my life who is losing weight (some are plus sized and staying that way, and others are thinner and don't really have to work at it), so hearing from you all really helps me.
RingSize8 is offline   Reply With Quote