Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #1  
T82

Unhappy Weight Loss and Sadness

I have been losing weight since November 2011 - have lost just over 20 pounds since then. Most of the time, I am feeling good and proud of myself. But I have also noticed that I have experienced days since losing weight where I feel sad for no apparent reason. Yesterday and today are examples.

I suppose I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this?

It's as if I am feeling these 'negative' feelings of sadness that in the past I would choke down with food instead of actually letting myself feel. But I don't know how to deal with it. I don't know how to not feel guilty for feeling sadness.
T82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I have days like that. I am still figuring out how to deal with emotions rather than choking them down with food. Usually I distract myself with my favorite TV show or surfing the internet. Sometimes I talk to my best fried and we laugh (or cry) which helps. I am starting to think that I may need meds though forthe anxiety and depression. I liken taking away my binge eating yo taking away my medication.. I am sure counseling would help too. What to you like to do? Do you have any friends to get out of the house with to clear your head? I hope you are having a good day.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I think it's probably normal, as long as it's not too often that you feel the sadness. I think the food and sugar used to cloud my head...in a way i'd ALWAYS be a little sad because i knew i was eating badly, but the food would dull the emotions a little bit. Once you eat clean, you feel better...but then the pain or emotions become more exposed when they are there.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #4  
T82

Thanks for your replies TiffNeedsChange and surfergirl. I think you're both right.

Tiff, I definitely used food as my 'medication' to dull my emotions. Surfergirl, my emotions definitely feel more 'exposed' now that they are not covered over by many layers of fat (and food).

Not only do my emotions feel more exposed, but I also feel more exposed. Like I don't have my security blanket of fat anymore. Sometimes I don't know how to deal with the extra attention - even if it's positive. Sometimes I'd just rather hide and feel sad inside without anyone actually having to see it. When I was fat, I could be sad on the inside but no one (even including myself) would have to see the effect on the outside. It was comforting. It was also self-destructive. But I feel so exposed now - like I'm naked.

I also feel guilty for feeling my feelings, like sadness. Like I'm not supposed to take the time to feel my emotions. Like I should choke them down or shut them up with food and get on with my day. I took a mental health day off from work today. It feels weird - to be honest about what I need rather than just going into work (at a restaurant) and eating a burger and fries and whoknowwhatelse just to get through the work day.

My sister tells me it's normal to have to take a day to yourself every once in a while. But I can't help but feel ashamed and as though something is wrong with me. Maybe I will know how to deal with this better in time...
T82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

I've had the same problem lately. I've been down and is losing my motivation to work out. I am still on track with my diet tho. So Im not too worried about it right now. I think its just a phase.
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #6  

I sometimes feel a little sadness at the loss of complete eating freedom. I really enjoyed just eating whatever the heck I wanted whenever the heck I wanted. Of course, I didn't enjoy the effects of that---namely, being fat. In some ways, I used food as recreation and company. I noticed that I would actually enjoy being a homebody---lying on the couch and just eating. I know objectively that that's just a waste of life, but for some reason, it just felt good.

Someone posted a couple of months ago about experiencing a period of "mourning" after we realize that we'll never being able to eat the way we did before if we hope to keep the weight off. I think there's some validity to that.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/169/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I sometimes feel a little sadness at the loss of complete eating freedom. I really enjoyed just eating whatever the heck I wanted whenever the heck I wanted. Of course, I didn't enjoy the effects of that---namely, being fat. In some ways, I used food as recreation and company. I noticed that I would actually enjoy being a homebody---lying on the couch and just eating. I know objectively that that's just a waste of life, but for some reason, it just felt good.

Someone posted a couple of months ago about experiencing a period of "mourning" after we realize that we'll never being able to eat the way we did before if we hope to keep the weight off. I think there's some validity to that.
Totally agree!! I've felt the same way pretty often. It's weird. But when you think about it, for a lot of us, overeating has been a companion when everything else could have been going horribly in our lives. It's the comfort we miss
bsbgirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/169/130

Height: 5"6

What a great thread! I sure miss being able to drown my worries and stress in a bag of ripple chips!!

Food has always controlled me. This time, I am taking control. MUWAH!
lcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

Yeah since I've started losing weight I too have noticed that there's been more days when I feel down. But 4 out of 5 days when that happens its related to weight/food stuff. Like if I see something I really want to eat and know I should not, or if I teeter totter on the same two pounds for a couple of days. Thinking of what I've given up food wise now makes me really down but then I think about how much I hate being the size I am and that kind of snaps me out of it
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I don't self-medicate with food anymore. I remember drowning my sorrows and calming my anxiety by hunting for some savoury or sweet chocolately goodness in the past, but the sick feeling that would immediately follow is something I don't miss.

I get where you are coming from, and since I'm doing so well with my food and exercise I too feel that I shouldn't be getting those 'down' days as much. When I do though, it's kinda strange, feels so different now, I guess because I look at food in a whole new way. I think having developed a healthier attitude towards my body, I respect healthy food a whole lot more, and tend to 'snub' junk food because of my calorie budget.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote