Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/160

Height: 5'4.5''

Default yoga or not?

So i'm new here so if i am posting this in the wrong place please let me know.

So a quick profile. I'm a single mom. I'm currently at 230 looking to lose 70lbs.

So i joined a gym about 5 or 6 months ago. I used it the first week....but not since then. I'm considering going to a yoga class tomorrow but i'm a little scared. I took a couple yoga classes in college but i really don't know what i'm doing. I dont want to be the big girl in the room struggling to do it all...

Dont know what to do i really wish i had a workout buddy.
discouragedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Definitely go! If you dont like it, you dont have to go again. And if your gym is worth its salt, then they will do their best to make you feel welcome. And if you go regularly, you'll get to know the other yoga regulars and then you would have a workout buddy! And even if that doesnt happen, you get to do yoga and have fun and relax in your own space. When I start a new thing to do with exercise, I go into it with the attitude that I'm just going to throw my arms and legs around and have fun, even if I dont know what I am doing. Doesnt matter if you dont know what you are doing, no one does the first time right?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #3  
Awesome

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

Most yoga instructors make available slightly less challenging variations on poses, or allow students to go back into child's pose (ie, at rest) if they're feeling overwhelmed. They're very understanding and appreciate anyone who has taken a step to learn about the practice.

A basic yoga class is a great way to condition yourself over time so that you CAN do those more difficult poses in the weeks and months to come.
bopbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Go for it. And if you need to, call the teacher and ask all your questions about how welcoming to newbies and to plus sizes this class is to get reassured.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #5  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Yeah go for it! Only go as far as you feel comfortable, and remember that everyone starts somewhere!

I'd love to start doing Yoga properly, although all I have here is some youtube videos.

Good luck!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #6  

We all have to start somewhere - I bet some of those fit ppl were the bigger people when they started.
No one cares honestly - I did hot yoga with a bunch of fit ppl and I ended up taking off my shirt, just a sports bra. Ppl are so focused on their own poses anyways.
All the beginners struggle, I saw some ppl with 6 packs who had to leave the room.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'7

I agree with everyone else. GO FOR IT! I started out with yoga. at 210lb, I was usually (although not always) the largest person in the class, but I never felt out of place or uncomfortable. Everyone is so into what they are doing, and if you feel like you look like a fool in certain poses, remember that if you do.. there is an entire class of people around you doing the exact same pose. Also, the teachers generally give alternatives for more advanced and more beginner students, to allow everyone to work out at their level. I would love to get back into Yoga, personally... Its also great for people with injurys.
sabri711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Yes, go! Go to a few different classes if possible, all instructors and classes are different. I had one class that I fell in love with back about 5 years ago. I was in the 240s-260s when I took the class and never once felt bad about it, even though I was the biggest by far. Give it a shot!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/ticker/145

Height: 5'1"

Go for it! I was 235 once and I did yoga! (I had done it on my own in my room for a while before but not seriously.) I personally thing no one is going to judge you. If it's a good instructor, they will help you modify the poses and they will help you get into them and help you align your body correctly. I'm still overweight and I go to a yoga class every Wed (a 2 hour yoga class), and next semester when I can't take anymore yoga classes through the college for credit I'm going to go take classes from her at another location. She always says "I always remember someone's body, but I suck at remembering names." They'll be able to read you and see where you need to go. Maybe try to show up a little earlier and talk to the instructor before to express your concerns. It might make you feel a little better and you'll be able to let them know you haven't done it in a while. Keep Calm and Yoga On
ihavethemusicinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #10  
The Last 10lbs!

I love yoga! Anyone, any size, any walk of life, can get good things out of practicing yoga anywhere anytime! Go for it!

Last edited by freedomreins; 03-02-2012 at 04:10 AM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I know how it feels to be unsure of yourself because of your size. When I joined my gym I wasn't much smaller than you and boy was I nervous! Luckily the instructors were patient and taught me how to do everything correctly. Any decent fitness instructor (whether it be yoga or not) will take the time to help you out...they want you to stick around after all!

Also, chances are people are so focused on what they're doing (especially yoga, where you really have to concentrate) that they won't care what anyone else is doing around them.

pixelllate is also right, you don't know where all of those "thin" people came from. They may have been thin all of their lives or they might not. I recently had an experience where new people joined my gym and thought I was just one of those people who were always fit until another member mentioned that I lost a lot of weight.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Height: 5'6"

Goo!!! I'm too cheap and poor right now to pay for a gym membership, but while I was in college, I'd go to yoga and yogalaties (yoga + pilates) classes. It was both fun and relaxing.

Like sontaikle said, most people are there with their own agenda to work out anyway.
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote