Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #1  
Ally

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Default Dieting around peer pressure?

So I'm the only one in my group of friends who's looking to lose weight. I eat way healthier than they do and watch myself around them. But they always keep telling me that I don't need to lose anything (which is nice to hear, but I'd rather have their support) and they're always trying to get me to eat things I don't want to. Like pizza and other greasy foods.

We're in college, so there's almost always an event with free food and I have trouble getting around not going or not eating while I'm there. I practically get food shoved down my throat =/ I by no means starve myself, but when I have the option to go to the Subway on campus and get a fresh salad I'd prefer to take it.

On the other hand, I don't like feeling like I'm ignoring them or anything
musicismysoulfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Have you tried carrying snacks with you? When I'm going to be at an event that has a lot of tempting food, I try to pack some snacks that I enjoy- preferably with some protein. a couple baby bel cheeses, some grapes, and triscuits are a favorite of mine. That way, I have something to eat so I don't feel left out, or hungry.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

The only person who tries to make me eat bad stuff is my Mom. I've got a 50/50 success rate with her. Used to be more like 25/75 but I'm improving!

I like a guy who eats kinda unhealthy and the last time I saw him he was eating junk food. He offered me some but I said no thank you and explained I don't eat junk food. He said "you're weird" but meh, he says a lot of things, I'm apparently not weird enough for him to ignore me yet so yay?
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS

S/C/G: 187lbs/ticker/143

Height: 5' 6.5

I've found that suggesting other options beforehand makes things easier.
So, if we go to the movies, I suggest that we get coffee instead of chocolate at the cinemas... or going out for sushi over thai, or making homemade pizzas for a movie night.
At uni, i make myself a sandwich and then get a coffee or diet coke or something with everyone else. Or if we go out for breakfast,
i'd make myself an egg white omelette at home and then get tea and toast or fruit with everyone else.

I've learnt that there are two ways to get around social situations; 1. planning ahead (so making food to take or eating beforehead so i am full, and 2. not taking about my diet.

once i reached the stage when it was obvious i had lost enough weight, my friends would actually choose to do the healthier option without my prompt. of course they now openly talk about how much they want to lose, which makes it easier for me to say no.

you just have to practice at it. i find losing weight at uni easier... i can pre pack my food beforehand when i study and my routine is better with exercising and what not
Meeel4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #5  
Ally

SouthLake, taking snacks sounds like a good idea actually. I could start that doing that pretty easily. I have a lot of healthy food on hand that I can really take anywhere.

Nadya - Haha, my mom is the same way. Whenever I go home to visit she always makes really amazing homecooked meals and she makes me eat it, at least I can pack in the veggies though!

Meeel4121 - So being conscious about what to order when eating out? That sounds pretty good too. We don't go out to eat often, usually it's just free food and we pick and choose. It'd be nice to have a healthy option, but of course it's more expensive when they try to feed for a bunch of college kids Most of my friends literally have no need to lose weight though, they're actually a bit too skinny as they've been told by their doctors. So they pretty much indulge themselves in everything.

I got a bit lucky tonight though. Unfortunately Subway was closed by the time I got there, but the event I went to had small egg salad finger sandwiches which I had 2 of (about half a sandwich, on whole wheat bread) and a couple swedish meatballs. It was good to curb the hunger I suppose...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #6  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I have a problem with peer pressure, as well; especially by my boyfriend! He seems to think that being on a diet is punishing yourself, as he worded it to me last night. "Eat the popcorn, you can punish yourself for the rest of the week!" Or if my friends are going off their diet, I find myself doing it, too. I have got to get better control of myself!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #7  
Warrior Princess

S/C/G: 355/299/175

Height: 5'9"

This might sound crazy, but I just pretend like everyone is out to sabotage me for nefarious reasons - friends, family, co-workers. My family is awesome and loving and we celebrate everything with food. With the exception of one, my sisters are all thin, so eating pizza and margaritas for them isn't a problem. For me, it is. Same with co-workers or friends.

So I just tell myself that they're trying to screw me up, that they want me to stay fat for whatever reason (mostly lies, honestly, my sisters are the best, they just don't get the struggle), that they think I'll fail eventually, etc.

For some reason thinking the world is against me and thinks I can't do it really helps me push through. Maybe working with a chip on your shoulder will help you too. Good luck!
Bridget Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #8  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Mimsy- This "Diet is Punishment" thing gets on my nerves too. Diet should be a reward for our body. You're giving it the healthy things it needs to live, not the junk that's gonna posion it. It's the only body you have so why treat it so badly?

I used to have a peer problem when I was younger. (In college and wanting to feel "Part of the group" )but now that I know what crud is in that pizza/candy/chips ect...then i just flat out say No. And I just think..."Man, sucks to be your body." Which is kinda weird because they might be thinner than me, but I'd rather not eat that. I don't ever say anthing other than just a "No thank you/nah that's okay." and normally they are fine with that. But if they press. "Oh, just a taste/ a little won't hurt" ect. then I let them have it in a nicer, more firm way. "I'm lactoce intolerant/I'm a vegitarian/I don't eat gluten/ I'm allergic." People tend to back right down after that. I almost never tell people "I'm on a diet." It always backfires. And sounds like you're being temporary (sp?) by me saying that I'm a vegitarian, it's more a lifestyle change, people know it would be hard to sway me away from that.

I think having your own snacks would be a good idea. Eating before you go to where their might be bad food. Being firm and stubborn with what goes in your body is also a good idea.

Last edited by Sakai; 02-27-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #9  
Ally

Mimsy - The diet is a punishment just sounds awful. I agree with Sakai about how eating healthy is treating your body. Junk food is a punishment, the body doesn't get enough nutrients it needs. Maybe you should try explaining that to your boyfriend?

Bridget_Jones - That's an interesting concept I guess, I'm glad you have something that works for you Personally I'd rather take the "No thank you." strategy of things
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Never, ever, tell anyone you're on a diet. Always tell them you are trying to make better choices and eat healthier. Actually, never "go on a diet". If you say you are on a diet, they will try to talk you into "cheating". The only thing you are cheating is yourself. Is one cheat meal going to kill you? No. But does it get you closer to your goal?

I could give a crap what anyone else eats, well except my kids, and I care even less for what people think about whatever choices I make for what I'm putting in MY body. The nerve of some people. Your body, your life, your choice. Don't ever let anyone dictate how you feel or how you treat yourself. They have NO right. These are YOUR goals. This is about YOU.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Jones View Post
This might sound crazy, but I just pretend like everyone is out to sabotage me for nefarious reasons - friends, family, co-workers. My family is awesome and loving and we celebrate everything with food. With the exception of one, my sisters are all thin, so eating pizza and margaritas for them isn't a problem. For me, it is. Same with co-workers or friends.

So I just tell myself that they're trying to screw me up, that they want me to stay fat for whatever reason (mostly lies, honestly, my sisters are the best, they just don't get the struggle), that they think I'll fail eventually, etc.

For some reason thinking the world is against me and thinks I can't do it really helps me push through. Maybe working with a chip on your shoulder will help you too. Good luck!

LOL!! Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #12  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

I can't imagine what that's like in college, but this exact thing happens to me every single time that I game with my friends. Either we go out somewhere without calorie counts, or someone brings a big honking bag of tortilla chips, or it's a "bring a pot-luck dish" day, and I can't do much more than guess at the count of everything. I've compensated by bringing my own snacks and food, but that's been with middling success.

Maybe just keep something reasonable-yet-yummy in your bags? And be honest and blunt with your friends; eventually, they might come to understand.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew80k View Post
Never, ever, tell anyone you're on a diet. Always tell them you are trying to make better choices and eat healthier. Actually, never "go on a diet". If you say you are on a diet, they will try to talk you into "cheating". The only thing you are cheating is yourself. Is one cheat meal going to kill you? No. But does it get you closer to your goal?

I could give a crap what anyone else eats, well except my kids, and I care even less for what people think about whatever choices I make for what I'm putting in MY body. The nerve of some people. Your body, your life, your choice. Don't ever let anyone dictate how you feel or how you treat yourself. They have NO right. These are YOUR goals. This is about YOU.
I agree with all of this 100%
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I can't imagine what that's like in college, but this exact thing happens to me every single time that I game with my friends. Either we go out somewhere without calorie counts, or someone brings a big honking bag of tortilla chips, or it's a "bring a pot-luck dish" day, and I can't do much more than guess at the count of everything. I've compensated by bringing my own snacks and food, but that's been with middling success.

Maybe just keep something reasonable-yet-yummy in your bags? And be honest and blunt with your friends; eventually, they might come to understand.
My friends have a few regular get-togethers: we do "meetings of the minds," a book club, and just hang out. I always make a few appetizers and a couple of easy dishes and they're always gone and raved about afterward. We rented a vacation house last weekend and I shopped and cooked all weekend and the food was devoured. I find that nobody will complain about eating healthy food if you don't mention the outright health advantages and if it tastes good.

My friends just know that I eat consciously and have for years. I don't diet, and I'm known for being the "chef" of the group, bringing things that they really enjoy.

Maybe next time your friends have some kind of pot-luck, you can make and bring a few things and try to limit yourself to just those things.

Many of the skinnytaste appetizers have particularly been hits among the masses.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #15  
Ally

Andrew80k - I wish I had read that a few hours ago -.- I told my roommate and friend when we were grocery shopping that I was beginning to "diet" and eat healthier and all I got were condescending comments for the next 2 hours about my vegetables, hummus and black beans. Then again, they do next to nothing to even attempt to feed themselves right, so at least I can trump them there.

It is difficult to keep myself confident and motivated about my goals when I'm surrounded by certain people, but I stick top it the best I can. Nobody should be allowed to tell anyone what they can/can't eat (unless it's a parent-kid relationship or a very unhealthy relationship in my personal opinion). I think I just need to quit worrying about their comments and focus on me. What's bad about it though is that I don't have a car, and they're the only 2 people I go grocery shopping with

Gabe That's where I'm at, more or less We don't really have pot-luck anything, but we do take late night taco bell trips. I've taken to leaving my wallet behind and drinking water beforehand (it's usually not long before I go to bed.) It's working so far.

Munchy I am very jealous right now xD It's comforting to know that your friends don't mind, and that we can provide healthy and really popular options too...