Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #1  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

Smile In a showdown with 106 pounds!

Hey everyone,
I have been to this site many times, but this is the first I've jumped in. I am a female in my late 30's.

I'm a lifer as far as weight struggles are concerned. I remember in speech class in high school one of the boy's topics on one particular day was banning women over 150 pounds from beaches!! (nice, huh?) I sat in the hall cowering, mortified being at 152 ... yet here I sit 20-something years later at 245!! If only the reason was I grew a foot in height since then. LOL

There have been times where I have had great control over my body, but many more years of loss of total control. A tragedy striking in 2001 was really the trigger that sent me into where I am now. Between that and the having 3 kids since ... the combo of beating myself up and mom comes last have done a number on me physically and psychologically.

My biggest obstacle in becoming successful is my very own self. I am one of those that say I am good for a week and on day 8 I have a bowl of ice cream, that somehow turns into being derailed for weeks because I become so disappointed in myself. So I am learning to turn that around.

I love healthy foods, fresh fruits and veggies, etc ... but I also am uncontrollable around chocolate, and in general portion control is by far my biggest issue with food. My meals are too large, I get seconds, I snack too much, I eat what my kids don't finish .. AH! It's that mindless eating that you don't really even have a clue that you truly consumed that much. So keeping track is key for me.

I am not sure why, or even really yet IF, this time is different. But I do have this overwhelming vibe of, my time is now, kind of thing going on.
Just posting here shows me I am on the right path, as I am trying to acknowledge that I just can't do this 100 percent on my own 24/7... like I remember Dr. Phil saying from way back.. How's that workin' for ya? LOL Not reaching out to anyone is NOT working, at all.

I am counting calories on a good old-fashioned Lotus (yeah, Lotus! LOL) spreadsheet, taking an intense dance class, doing Zumba once a week, and about to take on Jillian's 30-day challenge video. I have some Taebo videos waiting as well, as I was very successful with those in years past because I enjoyed them so much.
I weigh in on Tuesday mornings at home, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and offering support where I can as well! Thanks for reading! <--- My FAV veggie! Love it. LOL
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/172/150

well begun is half done!!! so, now u just have to keep going. i know it is easier said than done but it can be done. and whenever u r feeling low, 3FC is the place to check in. Nowadasy, i usually lunch and dinner with this site open, visit it just b4 eating and tht in itself keeps me away from indulging. try it!!!
iamritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Welcome to the club! You know, the only thing I can tell you that makes this time different from all others is that all the other ones stopped and this one won't. If you don't quit you can't fail, you just keep on trying and take every opportunity to make another, better choice. It can be done - one good choice at a time. And those add up to a pound, and then ten, and all the sudden you're several years in and maintaining a normal body, because it's the little work you do every day that gets you there and keeps you where you want to be. Not magic or a Herculean effort, but permanent changes in how you manage your body and time each day.

You can do it, just like the rest of us dedicated, imperfect chickies. And even at 500 pounds not a one of us deserves public shaming or to be banned from a beach.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 02-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #4  
August 2013 restart

Thanks so much, ladies!
That is a great idea about checking in before eating.
And you are so right about the one choice at a time. In my browsing today I came across someone's signature that said, I may not be able to lose 100 pounds, but I can lose 5 pounds 20 times. Amazing what a little perspective can do!
Thanks again for being so encouraging!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Daug! We all understand where you're coming from, and it sounds like you have a great plan underway... keep us posted!

Last edited by djs06; 02-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/249.6/175

Height: 5'7"

First of all

It's great that you have taken the first steps to a better, healthier life!!! I can so relate with a lot of your story, food has always been one of my biggest down falls. Huge first plate of dinner followed by seconds, then of course the chocolate ice cream is calling my name a few hours later!

I am really glad to meet you and wish you all the best, don't forget most of this journeys success is to stay in the right state of mind. We may slip and fall along the way but as long as we get back up, dust our selves off and keep moving ahead we can get to where we need to be!!!
suzukigurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

WELCOME!

So glad you posted. Well, you are getting started. It's wonderful that you like healthy food. I struggle with always wanting chocolate too. Sometimes DH and I will go on a 'cookie date' to Starbucks and I'll have my chocolate cookie or biscotti in a 'controlled' setting. If there's a food at home that you can't stay out of. Throw it away. I am famous in my house of dousing left over goodies with dish soap. Better in the trash than you.

I think one thing that has helped me when I am losing weight is planning. Plan, plan and plan some more. If you plan then thoughts of food/what will I eat next don't spin around in your head. It's decided.

If you stray from your plan... forgive yourself and hop right back on. It's life... life happens... just move forward.

I wish you well in your journey to better health.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #8  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Support is always important when you are trying to make a life change and the people here are wonderful!!

Quote:
My biggest obstacle in becoming successful is my very own self. I am one of those that say I am good for a week and on day 8 I have a bowl of ice cream, that somehow turns into being derailed for weeks because I become so disappointed in myself. So I am learning to turn that around.
We all have bad days it is going to happen! You can't let it completely derail you. Just mark it down in your calories, learn from it and move on! Make the next choice a GREAT choice!

Look forward to getting to know you! Keep up the great work!
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 248/234.6/150

Height: 5'6"

The ladies who responded before me pretty much said it all, but I just wanted to welcome you to the group too!

3FC, for me, is pretty much like what an AA meeting is for an alcoholic... I am literally on here several times a day, especially when I get a craving, feel weak, or just need motivation. I hope you find all of the support and resources that you need here - I am confident you will.

Your comment about being 152 in high school made me laugh... I was in the 150's in high school as well, however I thought I was "soooo" fat. What I wouldn't give to be 150 again!! LOL

I hope you get off to a great start and stay on track, and welcome to group!
strngsrvrbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I swear it's ok to throw away the food your kids don't eat. Getting over wasting food is such a hard thing to do.

Think of it this way, either way it's going to be wasted - on you or in the trash, so might as well be not on you.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270 / 264 / 200

Height: 5'4"

Hi Daug, I know what you have been going through with your life. This is a good place to get support. I haven't made any "friends" as of yet, but I do consider every one here a friend and a supporter.

Without good support its hard to stay on track.
Sactolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #12  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Glad you finally joined us in here; and forget that jerk from high school -- you know, he may be struggling with his weight at this very moment (I've seen that happen).

Support & encouragement can go a long way to helping us keep on track. Like another poster said, I find coming here regulary does just that -- keeps me ever mindful of my new lifestyle and the goals I hope to achieve.

Forgive the mistakes (the ice cream); and throw the leftovers out or put them into the freezer to make soup on the weekend (that's what I do). Be sure to get good healthy foods in the house; replace the junkies with good snacks. This will not only help you, but teach your kids how to eat well now; and the whole family will get healthier along with you.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 252.9/245.4/145

Height: 5'2

Wow! I swear you just wrote my story...except for the Lotus...LOL!

Really though, I just started my diet last Tuesday..weighed exactly 245...I am 5'2 and am 39. Oh...and I just ordered Jillian's 30 day shred video online yesterday since I've seen so many people rave about it. I wanted to try Zumba, but am too embarrassed to go to a class just yet.

I have only been checking out this site for almost a week now, actually this is my first post, and I read posts a few times a day to help keep me on track, and it has really helped! I read a few posts before breakfast while I drink my coffee. To start the day with motivation from the posts I read, and the AMAZING before, during and after pictures I see posted, is just a great way to start off with a positive outlook on my healthy day! It has really helped me, and I believe it really will help you too!

Good luck on your journey. Hopefully soon we'll be posting our own success stories and before and after pictures!
Jacks Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 248/234.6/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Big Mama View Post
I wanted to try Zumba, but am too embarrassed to go to a class just yet.
I really really really really really (did I stress it enough?!? haha) hope that you work up the courage to go to a Zumba class soon! I was the same as you, terrified to go. I am COMPLETELY uncoordinated, can't dance, and would get out of breath easily. When I finally worked up the nerve to go, I stayed in the back (Come to think of it, I still stay in the back because that's where the most room is... I can flail around freely LOL)... Anyways, nobody cared what I was doing, and I ended up getting a great work out and had fun. After I went a few more times, I started to learn the different routines with each instructor, and I had more fun with it.

I worked it up to something bigger than it was, and now I find myself downloading the songs and doing Zumba moves in my living room.

So anyways, I know it is intimidating, believe me, I get it. BUT, it is really great and I hope you can give it a try soon!

....ok...I'm getting off my soapbox now....
strngsrvrbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #15  
August 2013 restart

I absolutely cannot thank you guys enough. Seeing all of these encouraging words and advice yesterday and waking up to more today almost has me in tears. I feel like I am hopping off my little deserted island of doom. LOL
Today was weigh-in day and I'm down exactly 3 pounds. YEY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
WELCOME!
Plan, plan and plan some more. If you plan then thoughts of food/what will I eat next don't spin around in your head.
SO SO true... whenever I have been successful at weightloss it has been in large part because of planning!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strngsrvrbird View Post
I was in the 150's in high school as well, however I thought I was "soooo" fat. What I wouldn't give to be 150 again!! LOL
DITTO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I swear it's ok to throw away the food your kids don't eat.
It's funny, I have always been top notch in the common sense area, but when it comes to food all logic seems to go out the window! That needs to change big time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
Forgive the mistakes (the ice cream); and throw the leftovers out or put them into the freezer to make soup on the weekend (that's what I do). Be sure to get good healthy foods in the house; replace the junkies with good snacks. This will not only help you, but teach your kids how to eat well now; and the whole family will get healthier along with you.
Thanks! Learning to forgive and be easier on myself is THE thing for me to overcome. and by doing so I just know it will open a whole new world. One thing I am proud of is we've made sure the kids eat right and take care of themselves right... that was the one thing I was sure about when I became a parent.... my kids would absolutely not struggle with their weight as long as I could help it. I am at least proud to say we have been very successful with them so far... one of my main strategies is I eat the candy and junk they get on holidays and birthday parties before they do!!! ROFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Big Mama View Post
Wow! I swear you just wrote my story...except for the Lotus...LOL!

I just ordered Jillian's 30 day shred video online yesterday since I've seen so many people rave about it. I wanted to try Zumba, but am too embarrassed to go to a class just yet.
I am sooo glad you posted!!! and best of luck to you as well.I hope we get to travel along this ride together. The shred is great.. I have done it before a couple of years back and was surprised at what results 20 min a day can have. I figure it was a good way to kick off since its not a huge time commitment, but it did wonders for my stamina and energy level and I did see weightloss.
Definitely go to Zumba!! There are women of all shapes and sizes and it's almost like dancing in your own living room because everyone is concentrating so much on their own steps that they're not paying attention to you. I am not self-conscious at all when I go. I think it helps that it's just a community sponsored thing and not at an actual membership gym. There are some that bring their kids to join in, there are grandmothers, etc... diverse group and I never feel judged. And no one is really doing exactly what the instructor is. LOL Everyone struggles a little bit and just moves and grooves the best they can. LOL The key is to enjoy the music, have fun, and keep moving!

Last edited by DaugT; 02-28-2012 at 08:14 AM.