Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Default Flat Belly Diet Diabetes

Wondering if anyone has read this book and took it on? It's by the editors of Prevention and intended for Type 2, pre-, and insulin resistant. Just got the book and wondering what everyone's perspective was on it, what worked and didn't work for them, and what adjustments they would suggest if any.

I'm type 2 and still struggling with getting it under control. Also still in the phase of "WHY did this have to happen to me?" but sometimes at the stage of "Ok, I've got it. Now what? Get it under control. But how? Will I have the will power?" and then that goes back to "WHY!?!?!".
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #2  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

morning..
i have heard of it. don't know of anyone who's tried it.
dealing with diabetes does get better. it's just finding what works for you. that i find to be the most difficult part.
(i was born and raised in pleasant hill)
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Any weight loss will help, but do it sensibly so it sticks. Whether you follow whats in that book, use atkins, weight watchers, south beach or any other reasonable diet plan. Exercise reduces insulin dependence. The combination of regular exercise and even moderate weight loss makes a big difference.
GO for it.
Its ok to question Why? as long as it doesn't keep you from dealing with your issues. Has your doctor also prescribed meds, like metformin?
You CAN manage this and be healthy, maybe healthier than you have been in a while. GOod luck
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/257.4/130

Height: 5.0 Tall

Contact your local hospital and ask who the Diabetes Educator is and when they have classes there. They are a wealth of information as well as one on one counseling if you need it. Ours has a meeting the 3rd Wed. of the month. When I was diagnosed I panicked but then after awhile I decided ok what can I do to fix this. I couldn't find one diet online for diabetes. What I found out at the class is. YOu have to test test test right before you eat. 2 hours after you eat. I tested 4 times a day. I learned what foods made my sugars go up and what made them go up just a little. I can't eat oatmeal and toast but i can eat one or the other. It's all up to your own body. It's ok to learn slowly you don't have to do this over night. Books are ok but they don't address everyone. Each of us is different. Find out about that Diabetes Educator first. They go to school just for that purpose. Plus they give out free samples of new products and lots and lots of great ideas. Hugs
DiabeticDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/187/160

Height: 5'6"

I find the best for me is a nice long walk. Like 3 or 4 mile walk daily. I may try to leave a day out a week but most the time I do the walking. I also find myself eating alot of chicken and turkey. I am getting sick of those though.
izzycracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Julz, I'm interested in what the book tells you to do. Could you please let us know?

Also, there is a diabetes chat on here. You'll get some support there as well. While I'm not new to 3FC, I am new to this diabetes section. We'll learn together.

One thing I have discovered is that my numbers go down after I eat greens. Last night I had some asparagus and kale with a chicken thigh for dinner. My numbers yesterday were 120 first thing in the AM. I had an artichoke and some homemade deviled ham for lunch. Before dinner my reading was 104. 2 hours after dinner it was 96. I must have had sweet dreams last night because it was 108 this morning.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #7  

Think you need to talk to your doctor for recommendation on losing excess weight. And find ways that fit just for you. Also look for diet program. Don't always wonder on "WHY" but think on the "What and How". Always Educate your self on How to improve you health. do Exercise and reading articles like Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Loss.
julbaritua is offline   Reply With Quote