Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/145.5/135

Height: 5ft 3

Question Pulling an all-nighter??

Hey guys! I need some advice... >__<

My cousin is getting married this week and things are going to get really busy for me during the next few days as I need to go shopping for things to wear, attend the wedding parties, and go to other family related gatherings too.

I also have a LOT of work that's due in this week for school.

In my old "unhealthy lifestyle" days, I would survive this by doing a few all-nighters (or days where I'd only have 2-3 hours of sleep) and then drink red bull in the mornings/evenings, along with lots of other sugary snacks, to get by. But, as you all know, I've joined 3FC and I'm really committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle (good food, regular exercise and regular sleep!).

I think I have no choice but to seriously sacrifice some of my sleep time this week in order to get my work for school done.

I'm just wondering what you 3FC ladies thought of this? Have any of you 20-somethings done any all-nighters during your weightloss journey? Was it really detrimental to your ongoing weight-loss?? Any tips?

Thanks for reading!!
Em123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I don't know about for weight loss but it is very detrimental to your health.

The last time I pulled an all nighter with copious amounts of caffeine was age 19 or 20. I went to my 8 am class with Red Bull in hand and definitely wasn't listening to my body. I ended up passing out, hitting my head on a big, thick wooden drafting table then the hard linoleum floor. I was out cold for long enough for them to call EMS.

I understand needing to get stuff (truly! Part time student, full time employed with two kids 4 and younger) but don't do it at the expensive of your health. What if you fall asleep and run off the road, or hit a pedestrian? In addition, too much caffeine as you're already aware can be very bad for your system.

Get done what you can and when you can't do anymore, take a break. Your family should understand if you have to make your visit with them brief as well.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 02-22-2012 at 12:57 PM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #3  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I never do all nighters. I never have either. I just can't believe I can still function. I am pretty sure that if you slept 6hrs and added in an hour of exercise you'd be way more productive iny our awake hours than pulling through without sleeping.

I suggest you really plan your week meticulously and don't waste a single minute on stuff that you don't need. Try and be as productive as you can, but make sure you sleep and eat normal. Drink more water than you would normally. I notice when I study hard I somehow transpire more than when I am just sitting around. Maybe some green tea. And when you feel like you need an energy boost, do a short 20minute run or something.

Goodluck!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/136/125

Height: 5'6

I can tell you, I often have pulled all-nighters to finish papers, study, and just do general homework. It is not, I repeat, NOT a good idea. Staying up all night increases your cortisol levels (associated with increased belly fat), increased snacking tendencies, and decrease in efficiency.

I understand how stressful weddings can be, I planned my sister's wedding this past summer. I think the key to the next few days for you is going to be detailed schedules and letting people know that you want to be present for the wedding and festivities, and you need to also need to dedicate some time to studying and homework. School is important and you are paying money to be there. Yes, weddings are also important. Let others know what your situation is and let them know you need their support to be able to do it. Some things might have to be sacrificed, prioritizing will definitely help you.

Most importantly though, make sure you sleep some. Seriously, you will be much happier, feel better, and be much more efficient with the time you are awake. I know that sometimes having a gazzilion things to do and family pressures pushing you to take part in all activities when you need to be studying can be extremely stressful.

So, get some sleep and have a great time at the wedding! Good luck with the studying!
WinterRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Don't. Please don't pull an all-nighter. It's not worth it. Manage your time effectively so you get some sleep at least.

The last time I pulled an all-nighter was freshman year of college. After that I would make sure to get a few hours sleep if I ever did some poor planning and even if it was just a few hours it was much, much better than staying up all night.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/145.5/135

Height: 5ft 3

Hey guys!

Thank you all for your responses. You've all just made me realise how ridiculous all-nighters actually are within the context of a healthy or even normal lifestyle.

XLMuffinTop, although I don't drive to school, you're right that all-nighter is just not worth it in general, let alone as part of a healthy lifestyle. Like you said, I will just get done what I can and take breaks. Thank you!

Philana, you're completely right. I think I can and will limit the sleeping to at least 6 hours (I currently sleep around 8-9...) and be more productive throughout the day. I think I subconsciously let myself slack throughout the day thinking "oh I can just do an all-nighter to make this up later". I think a better solution is what you suggested, to be as productive as I can throughout the day. Thank you! I love the idea of doing exercise as an energy boost, I've never thought of that. (I always reach for caffeine instead ><).

WinterRunner... you're so right. Last year, I actually gained 10lb worth of weight I lost (out of 17lb) by giving in to all-nighters and the sugar-cravings they gave me whilst doing them. I shouldn't go back to the same habit. I will try organise my work load after I log off 3FC and schedule what I need to get done. I won't sacrifice my sleep time either, thank you!

Sontaikle, I definitely agree. I think I've become too used to the idea of "all-nighters". I have a few friends who do it and it just seems the norm around people I know in college... but reading all of your replies has given me a bit of a reality check. I need to stay away from believing all-nighters are the answer. I definitely need to become a better and more efficient student and manager of my time during my normal waking hours (it's something else I'm trying to improve on as well as commitment to a healthy lifestyle).

Thank you all for the reality check and the great advice!
Em123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #7  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

I wouldn't do it. When I was younger... I once stayed awake for 3 days. By the end it was like I was on drugs... I could barely see, everything was blurry and dark, I was walking into walls trying to get through a door, and it was like being sooo dizzy, everything was pitching around, i was slurring my words, i had waking blackouts where i'd be standing there and black out for a few seconds - I eventually just had to crawl to bed and not wake up for a long time... lol. sleep is SO important!
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I did this because I was working full time and doing school full time and ended up falling asleep in all my classes and getting in trouble. I wouldn't do it, try to manage things a little better. I'm sure family will understand if you don't attend every single thing they have planned that is up coming.

Now I pull all nighters but only because I have a baby, haha. But we nap during the day so I make up for it.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post

Now I pull all nighters but only because I have a baby, haha. But we nap during the day so I make up for it.
This is actually what I was kinda going to say. I would plan your time as best you can, if you need to ask for extensions and can because of the wedding, then do that, and IF you have to pull ONE all nighter, I dont think it will be the end of the world. It would be preferrable if you could pull it, and then catch up on the sleep as soon as you could though, e.g. hand in the paper at 8am, go home and sleep
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

The worst night of my life was the day I decided to work 8-4 at one job, then a 7pm - 7am night shift in the ER of a hospital. WHEW. That took a major toll on my body and I will never do that again - I was a mess after...crying...plus I ate everything in sight.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

It can be done. But not the way you used to do it and only if you can't manage the time better. I pull all-nighters. They happen, usually due to work (shift-coverage) and the like. You SHOULD be able to avoid it, but if you have to, drink sugar-free caffeinated drinks and eat normal meals for you at regular intervals, as if your day was just longer rather than resorting to snacking. And of course, get some rest. Even if it's a 30 min nap or just lying down to clear your head the re-set is good for you.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

unless you desperately need to, pulling all nighters in not healthy. I routinely work 24+ hour shifts and despite efforts to eat regularly and hydrate, you are never as alert, as safe, or as healthy. its no good to skip out on sleep for your school work if you work is just going to be subpar anyway, plus you could very well hurt yourself or someone else driving around on no sleep.
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote