Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Skirts/outfits question

Hey ladies!

I've never really been one for dressing up before I started to lose weight. Now I really want to start wearing skirts but I've having trouble making outfits. I have 3 skirts that are knee-length or longer; one's grey, one's black and one's a purple/white pattern. This is what they are, style-wise: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=898555052
I'm having a lot of trouble making outfits that look good on me with these. I still have a big belly (I swear, if it was gone I would stop losing weight tomorrow) so I think that's part of my issue. Do you have any ideas of outfits I can do with these skirts? Or, do you think I should ditch them and try something else (any suggestions on what the something else would look like)? I'd like to wear shorter ones that aren't TOO short, but if I can look cute in what I have I'd like to save my money. I'm terrible with fashion, so if you love it, please help!
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #2  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Those are cute skirts!
If you are worried about your belly you could wear them with a jacket and a nice pair of cowboy boots. Example of a jacket type that I think would fit: http://www.hm.com/nl/product/97198?article=97198-A

I also think you can just wear it with like a ton of layers. I love a hip-long tanktop with a pattern, then put a hiplong longsleeve in a single color over it and you can see the tanktop at the bust and at the bottom (it distracts from your midsection) and then wear a long/big knit scarf that I wrap losely around my neck before draping it almost down to my knees.

I don't know what's in fashion where you are at, but here all the girls wear leggings/dark panty-hose so it makes for being comfortable even in shorter skirts.

Have fun with it. I am SO looking forward to summer. I've been hiding behind my own casual style that drapes a lot around my belly/butt for the past 2 years and I am SO gonna go for the cute small dresses and stuff this summer when I've lost the weight. It's gonna be awesome.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I'd layer it with a tank top and then a cute sweater on top. I usually do that to hid my belly in jeans on days that I am super bloated. Mix it with flats or boots depending on what you have/prefer.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

For myself I find fitted skirts work best with my belly area, giving me an overall slimmer look. But I did wear stretchy skirts when I was bigger and found fitted tops over them gave me some shape and helped disguise my belly. Flowing loose tops only made me look bigger. I naturally tend to keep weight on my stomach so I usually go for the same style of tops, fitted bodice, perhaps with a ribbon under it, empire line tops are flattering. A fitted jacket is great too.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #5  
A broad on a mission

S/C/G: sz20/14/8

Height: 5' 4.5"

Ahh fashion my forté! If you have a belly, I would not recommend wearing cropped jackets. They will cut you off at an odd place and make you look short & stubby! When I wear skirts I always either wear something that shows I have some sort of waist (lol) or wear something that shows off my collarbones/shoulders. If you wear something that shows skin around that area, the eye will be drawn up to the skin instead of the belly I LOVE off the shoulder! Empire waists are your friend!

That skirt is a great option because it is fitted and then flowy at the bottom. With my skirts, I usually wear tights & boots with a small heel or ballet flats. Tops I usually wear: tank tops with a cardigan (normally with ballet flats for work), fitted turtleneck sweaters (LOVE them!), dressy sweaters/off the shoulder tops, polo shirts, and button down shirts (tank underneath) with a leather jacket. I hope that helps! Good luck
aBroadAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #6  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Something flowy like that would be really cute without putting too much attention to the belly :
http://www.hm.com/ca/product/97918?article=97918-D
http://www.hm.com/ca/product/93714?article=93714-J

Or something like that if you want a more serious (but yet sexy, god I just ran into that shirt isn't greeeeat!)
http://www.hm.com/ca/product/98193?article=98193-A
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

With my skirts, I usually wear tights. They help smooth the belly skin/fat out making you appear thinner. Don't wear something thats to loose as a top. It'll make you appear larger. Layers are good. A tank, and a see through top tucked into the skirt would look amazing. You want to show off your waist and define your curves. Tops that are snug around your body but with loose midlength sleeves would work with it too..

Last edited by baker23; 02-17-2012 at 04:20 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/130/120

Height: 5'3

High waisted skirts with a blouse or a top tucked in with a belt around to pull your waist in are great for hiding a belly. Looks really hot too
The skirt will just skim over your stomach and the belt will draw the eye to your pulled in waist giving an hourglass look.
Heels too to elongate your body.
A skirt that sits under your stomach does not hide it as much as the top you wear with it will either swamp you and make you look bigger if it is loose or it will cling to your stomach if it is tight.
It's great getting used to wearing clothes to show off your new body

Last edited by Rosey85; 02-18-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Rosey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

do you have any cropped jackets? love those things. any shirt with a jacket might look good.

as such:

http://images1.chictopia.com/photos/...943646_400.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...96_233x652.jpg

Last edited by valalltogether; 02-18-2012 at 11:15 AM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote