Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #1  

Default Job stress is freaking me out!

Hi all. I work at this really crappy job. I hate complaining because I searched for over a year for a job, but it is stressing me out. My boss is kind of like the boss from Devil Wears Prada except that I don't work in a glam place at all lol. The last 2 assistants quit. There's one assistant right now who used to have my position a year ago and still comes in sometimes. The assistant was the "perfect admin assistant" - think of Energizer Bunny (even has sleeping issues) so she is always "on" and I'm afraid that no matter how hard I try, I can't be as perfect as she is, so I look even worse in comparison. She just says these really biting things. I would leave except that when I was searching for jobs, a lot of them wants a few years of full time experience, and I graduated from 2010 with no real experience other than part time internships. I mean maybe I'll still leave on a bad note but I'd at least like to try to leave on a good note so that I can move on to a better job.
Everyone secretly calls her crazy and that "its not me" but i'm alone in the office a lot with her and when its rainy...and shes in a bad mood...oh geez!!
I'm trying to put a positive spin on this-it makes me even MORE determined not to stress eat because its not worth regaining all my weight. It also gives me more incentive to not let this job take over my life cause I'll get criticized anyways and put effort in moving on.
Anyways, I've always been a rather meek person and I am getting better at brushing things off (normally her moods freak me out all day and now after an hour or so I feel a lot better) but its really hard for me not to feel like "ahhh I didn't get this thing done!! I'm ruining the company!" even if its something super minor when she says mean things. I guess thats what happens in a tough job economy...
Thank you all for reading =(
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I was in a crappy job over the summer. I had just finished graduate school and the market for teachers in New York SUCKS and if there are openings they want people with experience. So I took the first thing I could—an assistant teacher position in a year round pre-k. They didn't disclose the amount of responsibility I would have in the interview and it really wasn't worth it for the low pay and long hours. I would come home tired and stressed and it wasn't long before I realized that it just wasn't worth it to stay.

I know how you feel, but I'm glad to see you're focusing on some of the positive. No matter how bad the job is you DO learn from it most of the time (even if it's what to look out for next time around) and you said you're getting better at brushing things off. You're also learning to manage your stress. So even if that's ALL you take away from this job, at least you took away something.

I learned a lot at my job too and it's helped me at my new one. Still, I don't think any job is worth going nuts over, but if you do have bills to pay it can be rather difficult I channeled my hatred of my job and used it as fuel to search for a new one. I found a much better job as an actual teacher making more than twice an hour what I did at my previous job and I have less responsibility, fewer hours and less stress! As soon as I found out I was hired, I quit my job the next day. It was halfway through July so I had a nice, month and a half vacation until I started teaching in September.

I know it's difficult right now, especially for people our age but for your health, search for a new job and leave as soon as you can.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #3  

Thank you so much! I am in NY too, so you totally get the job market and pressure =( It seems like almost expected here to continue working your bum off and I just worry about the job competition since its been hard to get some experience at a real job. I'm conflicted as of what to do. I want to be a standardized test tutor - I have to retake a test so that I can be a tutor, so I will be working on studying for that (after weight loss...I'll be working on balancing maintenance and studying) and if it works out, then...peace out crappy job! If not, I'll stay longer and continue searching - I refuse to work more than 1.5 years here!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote