Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #1  
Big Momma!

Height: 5,2

Default Trying WW for the first time... help !! So confused

Hello,
I am trying WW for the first time .I have 5 cook books that I am hoping I can use they are older Book ( 1988 and up too 2002) I know they just started the points Plus ..can I still use my Cook Books? I am wanting to do the reg. WW. count points and staying within 1200-1300 Cals. ( guessing thats about 22 Points)

I just want to do this right , this time...

I dont really have to Money to join up and do the meetings ( too far) so I mainly getting recipes from online or My CookBooks.

Is it ok to do the reg Weight Watchers? or better to do the Points plus?

Thank you !!! very much !!!

I plan on loosing 40 lbs..... shooting for 8-10 lbs per Month.

Sorry if I am so conusing ...
Jasmin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to WW!

PointsPlus & the older Points plans (aka Momentum & TurnAround) are different from each other. The actual formulas that they use to get the Points numbers are very, very different.

It's important to know this (and hence why you asked!), because the older cookbooks or older plan items that have Points numbers on them are going to be highly inaccurate for the purposes of PointsPlus.

Since you're just starting out, I would personally suggest going to a Meeting, even if it's just once, to get all the materials from PointsPlus and to hear how it works. If not, you might want to consider joining Weight Watchers Online, and using the eTools that they have available. Everything you need to know about PointsPlus is on their site, and it's the only plan that WW currently actively supports.

If you don't want to use Online or go to a Meeting, there's actually an At Home Kit that you can order from the WW site without officially joining anywhere. (There's a Sticky for the link to the At Home Kit at the top of the WW section here.)

As someone who is just starting out on WW, having that support and the materials would be a huge advantage.

That being said. The older plans still work. They aren't suddenly broken simply because WW no longer supports them. There are many members (especially on 3FC!) who enjoy Momentum/TurnAround better and are sticking with it. They're still doing perfectly fine! Again, nothing is wrong with the older plan.

In your case, since you have many of the cookbooks, it might be handy for you to use the older plan. But, do you have an older Points Calculator? Do you have the Plan Materials for the Older Plans? There's more to all the WW points counting plans than just counting points. There are the GHGs, and other things that go into making sure we're being as healthy as we can while also counting points.

I advise against guessing at Points in the beginning, regardless of which Plan you end up following. The Points, while somewhat near a certain amount of calories, are NOT exact, and trying to guess that in the beginning could be a detriment to your weight loss and a detriment to thoroughly understanding how the Plans work.

Neither plan is better. It's all about what is better for you.

Whatever plan you choose. Don't guess at how many Points you're supposed to eat. That's setting yourself up for possible confusion.

Either find a way to get some materials about the older plans, if you're still interested in following them. Or get an At Home Kit, join Online or join for 1 meeting at WW to get all the info you'll need to follow PointsPlus.

Whatever you decide, there are members here doing it, and we can help point you in a healthy direction along your way. Best of wishes on whichever plans you decide! ~
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #3  
Big Momma!

AHA ! thanks... I was just snooping around my Cookbooks, I am liking 3 of the books...but the rest are not giving me the points. I Need the points as I am new and want it easy at the beginning. My MIL gave me some Points help last Night but I will need a Calculator....so I am not sure if I am going with Plus Program or the *old* style.

I will look into going to maybe a Meeting, its just a gas/ Money problem here. And we live far out in the country without any Gym's. So I am getting treadmill till Spring/Summer.

Honestly I thought it was just counting Points...... lol... hmmmmm I want easy !
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

It is easy once you have the materials.Registration is free at most WW centers right now. All you need is to go join and they will give you all the materials you would need.So the cost of the meeting and the calculator is all it would cost you.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Honestly I thought it was just counting Points...... lol... hmmmmm I want easy !
It's not a complicated program, so I'm sorry if my post made it come across that way, but it's also not -just- Points Counting.

The majority of it is making sure that we're eating the right number of Points, but the other part of the Plan is all about how to most effectively use your Points, and making sure to encourage healthy eating and activity, etc.

If you are ever able to get yourself out to even just one meeting, you'll get the materials you need at the start. After the meetings there's often a session where they explain the plan in a little detail to anyone new. It's the materials + the in person explanation that might help you acclimate to the Plan sooner, and is also why I personally recommend it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #6  
Big Momma!

i bought the 2012 Books and calculator,,, and hoping to find a book with the Recipes that I can use with this program.

Thank you