Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 02:47 PM   #1  

Question What's the difference?

What is the difference between counting calories and the WW points program? I mean don't you have to count calories to figure out the points? I was doing low carb, but I couldn't committ. I'm looking for something else to do and I can't decide between the two. I've got to find something that I can stick to. But I need to be able to understand exactly what to do and what to eat. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Ginger
Old 02-28-2003, 02:54 PM   #2  

Angry

Excellent question. I'd like to know, too! thanks
Old 02-28-2003, 04:42 PM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Well in short, NOTHING.
All prpgrams you do yourself require you to count something, Carbs, fat, calories...you get the point.

Some of the bennifits of WW is most of it is calculated for you. You have a set amount of POINTs and you count down. So if you get 25 points, yopu keep subtracting until you get to zero, or you can save a few points for a special noght out.

The program works out for you fat/fiber/calories into a neet package so you do not have to count calories fat or fiber. Along with joining you get suportive meetings and a program that is nationally recognised so that when you buy some products points are calculated for you.

So all in all I think all programs rewuire you to count something, it is just a matter of what you choose to count.

Does that help?
-L
Old 02-28-2003, 08:11 PM   #4  

Yes that helped. I'm really ready to start a program, but I just can't decide on the right one. I'm tired of starting things and not finishing them. ie: low-carb diet. I have about 120lbs to lose, so this is a serious decision I am making. Thanks for your help.
Ginger
Old 02-28-2003, 09:00 PM   #5  

the benefit of the ww method is that it is a lifestyle you can maintain long term. you don't have to eat funky food or odd combinations of things for the rest of your life (well, you can. but only if you want to) to maintain a weight loss.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:41 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I like the points because it combines the elements that are inportant to me.. calories, fat, and fiber.

If you only count calories.. you are not watching fat.

ps. I also watch my vitamins and salt too.

good luck to ya!
Old 03-02-2003, 12:30 PM   #7  

I agree with Slimdown, and I think there is a BIG difference in the WW points system and "just counting calories". The part of the points system that includes or counts fat and fiber is very important . . . and if you want to do even better for your health, read the book "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy" (Harvard Medical School/Walter Willett) and count the kind of fats you are consuming.

I can't say enough good things about the WW plan, but I try to combine it with the nutrition information in the Willett book - I don't want to just lose weight . . . I want to be as healthy as I can get!
Closed Thread