General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/302/200

Height: 5'6"

Default recipes or ideas on eliminating white flour

Have started walking .....doing a mile now daily....and am ready to give up white flour as we all know it is the devil....I just dont know how or what I can make instead.....I can make bread if need be and I have been buying whole grain pasta ( the kids are ready to mutiny)
ANy cookbooks, websites , tried and tru things my fellow dieters have used???
Also is it my imagination or can u really notice a diference in you body from only walking a mile .....
Blessings
dinomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #2  

Just substitute whole wheat flour for white flour. I used white whole wheat, which is a softer wheat and has the benefits of whole grain, but is more like white. King Arthur has white whole wheat. There used to be a ton of recipes on here from Sugarbusters, but I don't think they are accessible anymore. Recipe sites will have search features you can use to find whole wheat recipes. I had mutiny with my kids at first too, but eventually, they all go used to it. They are all grown now, and they purchase whole grain products.

You might want to check on here and see if the South Beach Diet area has recipes. They would be made with whole grains, as that is part of South Beach.

Yes, I think just one mile a day can start to make a huge difference. A 30 minute walk a day will help cure insulin resistance, and give many benefits to the cardio-vascular system.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

If the kids don't like the whole wheat pasta, try the Barilla Plus pasta which is higher in fiber and protein and tastes really good.

And I too use the King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour for breads. To ease into it, you can do half and half or 2/3s WW and 1/3 white. If you want to buy bread, there are a lot of nice whole grain breads on the market.

I make nearly all our breads and the kids love the ww cinnamon rolls (minus 90% of the fat and sugar too) and I make ww quick breads too and pancakes. Sky is the limit.

Oh, a really nice pancake mix (if you are a mix kind of gal) is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hodgson-Mill-P.../dp/B004IMYBIS
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I just substitute everything 1cup white=1cup whole wheat. You can buy whole grain everything these days (bread, noodles, cookies even). Just make sure to check the ingredients because some "whole wheat" bread contains a lot of white flour too.

We make pancakes from scratch here (I'll see if I can find the recipe tonight) but basically just use whole wheat flour (and I add cinnamon and apples chopped up for flavoring, sometimes a smashed banana too). Ditto for pie crusts.

Good luck!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I just don't bake. Used to love it but gave it up and leave it for bday or holiday only. Then I used King Arthur.

Build your meals around other things. If you need a starch -- Rice, potato, sweet potato, barley, etc.

What is it you normally have?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/302/200

I bought some king arthur wheat at the store and found some whole grain bread at aldi that is delish..... we are carb addicts at this house so I'm going to try to phase things out one at a time. Had subs last nite with carrots and celery instead of chips .....
Been walking a mile a day this week and no change on the scale but I have noticed a little less out of breath going up the stairs and my balance is a little better...TY for all the replies....those cinnamin rolls UMMM gota try that
dinomama is offline   Reply With Quote