Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 09:00 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Wednesday, Feb 26th

Be Right Back (I hope )
Old 02-26-2003, 10:15 AM   #2  

Default Morning!

Good morning everyone....I was up through the night again...I was so exhausted after work yesterday that I didn't even eat dinner...so I awakened at 2 am with allergies/sinus/head cold and had a bowl of cereal...

Everyone is home and happy and back into our routine...gonna have a quiet morning with hubby after the kids go to school and then have lots of errands to do!

It is a beautiful day it is only -2 C today so it is lovely and mild.

Have a good day everyone!

I'll check in later!

Eliz
Old 02-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #3  

Default Mornin'

Ok Leenie, I'm here. You can quit hollering at me at work

Nothing much going on here.. I told Leens I should just list the same post here every day: up at 5, aerobics, drove to work and here I am.

Hope you feel better Liz.

I have a ton of church stuff coming up the next few weeks. Some of it even is good Council meeting tomorrow night, installation on Sunday.. then the mid week Lenten stuff starts. I love the Ash Wednesday service. Getting the oil and the ashes applied is very moving and really draws me in closer to the church. After that, every week on Thursday there will be a service of sorts.*whine on* The only yucky thing is on the 8th, I have to go on a council retreat. Now I don't know about you, but when *I* hear the word retreat, I think of going someplace pretty to relax and maybe come up with new ideas. This church's idea of a retreat is 6 hours on a Saturday in a conference room!! Arggh. I may be worrying over nothing and it may be just fine, but I feel like that is almost a punishment rather than a retreat. Of course I am also working on the church web site in between all of this. *whine off*.

That's all that is happening in my corner of the world.. sorry I am not more entertaining.

Btw, welcome Janie.. didn't get a chance to say hi yet.. so
Old 02-26-2003, 11:53 AM   #4  

Default Another snowy weather day!!!!

I love snow but this is ridiculous. We've had more snow and ice this year than we've had in years. This reminds me of the winters I had when I was a child (not that long ago, LOL!) We're expecting ice!

Linda,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad to be here! Your enthusiasm is overwhelming for your church. We belong to a local church but just haven't been very faithful. I love the church, but it's a large church and it's tough to get involved unless you know people. Of course how do you get to know people unless you're there? It's a catch-22!

I'm scheduled to have a little surgery on my arm where I broke it on Friday. I broke a piece of bone off and it's giving me problems. I will be sooooo glad when all this is over. I'm not one to sit!!!! I drive myself and everyone around me crazy. My poor husband doesn't even trust me to take a shower by myself because of my broken (healing) ankle. (Personally, I just think it's an excuse!)

April, I hope you're feeling better. How's it going, coming off of the Effexor?

Well just wanted to say Hi! Not much going on here! Still trying to decide how I want to go about getting this weight off. What do you gals do? What's been successful for you?

Thanks,
Janie
Old 02-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #5  

Hi Janie, I don't think I got to welcome you.

It is a rainy day here in the deep south. It has stopped for the time being but it will be back. The weather says that is will rain on Fat Tuesday thank goodness I will be at work. Nothing worse than watching a pared in the rain. I have done it many a time and it was fun while I was doing it (I was younger and stupid) but I don't want to deal with it now.

Leen you yell at people? No, not you!

Linda between you and Liz I don't know who is busier. I have said it before I will say it again. I wish I had your energy.

Jane I have had success with losing 11 lbs by watching what I am eating. I record it all and keep it between 1200-1500 cals a day. I eat whatever I want but in moderation. That might help you get started.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #6  

Hi Leens, Linda, Kemp, Janie and Liz,

Lizzie, I know what you mean about the sinus'...you do need to sleep!! That is what triggers mine, the old immune system just shuts down. Take care of yourself!!!!!!! I am doing a little better with the sleeping, hopefully I can correct this insommnia problem sometime soon.

Linda....what's cooking?????? Two more days!!!!

Kemp...WTG with the weight loss!!! Too bad we didn't live closer...my hubby is away again too LA this week and San Francisco next. He's got a trip coming up in the next two months to London...I'm trying to get up the courage to fly with him. Linda and I have this thing with planes

Leens...How is Gracie doing???? I hope she is well. Did you hear about the other horrific fire our way (Conn)?? This time a nursing home. Last I heard 10 dead and they think it is arson. This has been an awful couple weeks!! Those people and the night club victims and families need all our prayers and then some. I guess all of this can really put our lives in perspective.

Janie...once again welcome!! So Sorry to hear about your mom and your accident. I hope your surgery goes well and you are soon pain free. About the shower thing, take it from someone who knows...you are right!!! it's just an excuse As far as what I am doing for weight control, mainly exercise and portion control, I was going to LA Weight Loss before the holidays but got off track with Christmas, so my program is on hold. I am trying to get my butt in there again, it was going slow but it was working so I am going to make another attempt soon .

It's another freezing day here in New England. Thankfully over the weekend some of the rain and milder weather got rid of a bit of snow. The snow banks on the corners are easier to judge when taking a turn. The driving here has been awful. Can't wait for spring (if we have one)we will probably go right into summer the way things are going. Oh well, if this is my only problem...I can handle it!!!!

Hello to everyone else who visits today...Have a wonderful Wednesday!!

Meg

Last edited by meg 1+2; 02-26-2003 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Wow you girls are busy!

Liz - you said "it is only -2 C today so it is lovely and mild" ....mild?mild?mild? girl you have been in the cold wayyyyyyyyy too long!! haha - I cannot even imagine -2 and then to call it "lovely and mild" wow - you're a better woman then me! - it is like 40, rainy, wet, and windy here and I'm about to freeze to death. brrrrrrrrr I bet you would call that a heat wave around there.

Janie - did you read my late post yesterday? I noticed from reading your bio that we are almost the same age, both have birthdays in September and have boys.

Linda - your idea of a retreat sounds better to me then the 6 hour conference, but surely they'll do something to make it fun and enjoyable. They don't want anybody dying of boredom! ;-)

Hey Kemp - I will be at work on Mardi Gras too and that is fine with me - if I wasn't at work then I would be at home. I have lived in Lousiana all my life and I have never been to any of the Mardi Gras craziness - that is just not my thing at all - but I wouldn't mind being home for the day.

Leenie - that must be a big cup of coffee you are having?

Oops Meg - you slipped in while I was posting - nice to read your post - hope you have a wonderful Wednesday too!

Hope everybody gets to post a quick note.

I'm taking my boss's wife (who is a dear friend) to lunch for her birthday today, and really looking forward to it - because I love good food and good company.

later gaters,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 02-26-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:20 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Everyone !

Sorry I'm late, I just get wrapped up in work and the whole world dissapears not a good thing. But I'm here now.

Liz, feel better & get some rest.
Hey Janie, good to see you.
Meg we thought you skipped out on us, I'm happy your back

Sweetpea are you okay ? haven't heard from you in a while, did you get to see the doctor about tossing yer cookies & the squirt ?

Its so nice to see all of you, Yes even you Linny (snort ~)

Its been a trying winter for sure, with the snow, rain and all the tragedy's going on, its doesn't make depression any easier.
April how about shining that lamp on all of us we could use it.

Cathy enjoy lunch, there's nothing like good food and friends.
Kem don't listen to Linny I DO NOT YELL

Janie I try to follow a low calorie diet, nothing in particular, some times I do low carb and some times I just need my bread....gee I guess thats why I'm not getting any results This has been so far, one of my better weeks. What were you thinking about trying ?

Tipster, ttyl.

Talk to you all later, Love, Leenie
Old 02-26-2003, 04:14 PM   #9  

Hi to all of you

I was out for coffee this morning with my friends.....it is nice to see all the ladies....once a week we do this. Today there were 6 of us.

It is overcast today & -2 C.....Cathy....-2 C is mild & lovely....it is quite different from -2 F....now that would be really cold.

I have decreased the Effexor XR from 150 mg. to 100 mg....for now.....I do get somewhat nauseated at times....so am taking some Gravol...sometimes I only take half a dose.....I did get some Benadryl. I looked on Google for withdrawl symptoms....they can be quite nasty.

Am still using the light box first thing after I get up & feel really good....emotionally.

Leenie.......I wish I could shine the light on you all.....it does make that area of the room quite bright.

Liz....Hope you have a great day with your DH today.

Linda....my church isn't like yours....I never knew anyone there....it was Catholic....it seemed that no matter where I lived....all the Catholic churches were like that....people went to church & went home.

Janie....when you talked about your broken arm & the shower....I laughed.....6 years ago I fell & broke my right arm & had a cast on it for 4 weeks....my DH washed my back & the back of my legs.....the first morning after I had the cast put on.....DH came to outside the shower to wash my back & legs....the first thing I did was ....burst into tears. I was so upset that I couldn't do it for myself.....so I know how you feel....Janie.

Kemp.....11 lbs.....that is really great!!!!!!!!!!!

April
Old 02-26-2003, 04:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

duh on me - I was thinking -2 F - nevermind! :wink:

goofy cathy
Old 02-26-2003, 06:53 PM   #11  

Talking Finally. I'm home!

I'm home from work and am sooooooo glad! It's been a busy day!
I came home to a whiny little boy!!! I know that both my little ones have been cooped up in daycare which makes my little one especially irritable! He's 7y/o and loves school. When they are out because of snow, they have to go to daycare. I'm grateful it's there though.

Cathy, I actually have 2 boys and a girl. She's 11 and precious!
My oldest is by my first marriage and he's got lots of problems, his dad is an alcoholic and I have depression. Poor thing, doesn't have a chance! But he's not been around his father much. My husband (married for 13 yrs now) has been more of a "daddy" to him. I just keep praying for him. When he quit school, he'd been skipping for so long, he wasn't able to get caught up when we finally found out what was happening. He had to quit or repeat his senior year. He quit and hasn't been back. But I believe that God was showing me He was in control. I believe it's the first time that there was absolutely NOTHING I could do to "fix" it! Yes,
I did read your post from last night. We do have a lot in common! That's really cool!

April, glad your feeling somewhat better. how nice to have friends to go have coffee with! I had that at home in Ky. I miss it! April, why did you quit nursing?

Meg, I went to LA Weightloss and did really well with it a couple of years ago, but I had a hysterectomy and gained all the weight back during my recovery time 10 weeks! I loved the results but didn't like the fact that I gained it all back!

Kem, I have heard that most people who are successful at any weight loss program write down every bite. sounds like you have the right idea!

Leenie, do you work from home? I actually get more done when I work from home!!! But nothing else gets done! Yes, the shower thing is an excuse, but at least he's still looking for
excuses!!!

As far as weight loss plan, I have lots of ideas, just can't make a decision right now. It just seems right now, I could change my way of eating. I looked at the low carb option, but I'm not sure I could stick with it consistently. I may just go the cutting back and exercising (when I'm mobile again). I've tried every weightloss program/plan on earth! If it's too restrictive I can't stick with it!
I wish I was the person who says one day, "I'm gonna lose some weight and do it, then go on with my life". It's an obsession with me, but I do nothing about it! I used to watch my mom She was a closet eater! Always losing and gaining weight! I'd see her at 11pm cooking up something or digging in the peanut butter jar!
She wasn't bulemic but definitely a compulsive eater!

Well I better go and try to get some rest. I've got work to do that I brought home! YUK!

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Janie

Last edited by Janie61; 02-26-2003 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:40 PM   #12  

Janie.....tell me something......what type of job do you have?.....I mean.....with a broken arm & leg you can go to work.

About going out for coffee....we moved here about 25 years ago. There was just me....DH & 3 sons...the 3 sons are all grown now.

We had no other family here....my birth family are all back east....I came from a family of 7 kids....very close knit.

So....we had no other family here.....I joined aqua fit in the late 70's....about 1985....I met all these ladies at aqua fit....after aqua fit we would go out for coffee.

These ladies.....some of them are the ones I have coffee with....one group on Wednesdays & one group on Fridays. None of us goes to aqua fit now.

I quit nursing for a few reasons....had been doing it for 27 years....worked casual for the last 20 years....then got tired of being called to go to work at the last minute. I found it hard doing these night shifts as I was getting older....the sleeping part.......trying to sleep...in the daytime was the worst part of it.

My mother was a closet eater also....maybe I should say a bedroom eater....there were lots of times...when I was a kid.... I went to ask her something....& she would be eating peanuts in the bedroom. She had a weight problem also.

April
Closed Thread