Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #1  

Default Planning on starting back with Dh! Advice?

I lost with WW years ago but this time I'm starting back with my husband. Any advice? He does most of the cooking in the house. I'm going to sign up for the online plan and let him use the mobile app (I'm thinking it'll help him learn WW).

Any advice for WWing with a spouse? We have two kids so we're going to have to be creative with exercise.
tuhraycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #2  

Doesn't the mobile app access and update your online info? You don't get 2 people for the price of one!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #3  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, as Quilter said if you both want to do it, you'll have to pay for two people. The mobile App and online are connected to a single account.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

As the previous posters have mentioned, the mobile app is connected to one account. Only one person will be able to use the account for their Points information.

You can either sign both you and your husband up for two separate accounts, and you'll each be able to use a mobile app with different logins. Or you could order an At Home kit, and let your husband use the calculator to track his points.

As for doing it with a spouse... each individual is different. Is it okay with you if your husband says things like "Do you want to be eating that?" if you want a cookie or would you rather he not turn into the Food Police? Talk it over, and keep communication open. I would caution not to turn it into a competition or a race to goal. That has the potential to unintentionally cause frustration if you don't lose the same rate as your husband.

Rather, give each other positive reinforcement when you choose healthy things for meals. Or nudge each other to go for walks. Give credit when you've done well.

If he does most of the cooking, then encourage him to try some new recipes. Or make sure to keep a lots of vegetables on hand so they can be added into recipes that he already makes. (Hey, they're good for the whole family, not just the parents!)

Exercise doesn't have to be something formal like going to a gym. You have hiking days with your kids. Or just go outside to walk or run around with them. If you have a DVD player, you can even pop in an exercise video. Some kids enjoy doing them with their parents.

There might be times when you'll have to get creative, but remember that you never have to be perfect. You just have to be making improvements over what you used to do.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/Tracker/140

Height: 5'6

The one big piece of advice that I have is to be aware from the beginning that usually men loose much faster than women. When my DH and I joined, I was not aware of this and got very discouraged when we were eating all the same things and he would practically lose 5 pounds by sneezing.

Oh, and since he gets more points than I do, he just eats more. Like, I plan on 1 serving for me, and 1 1/2 to 2 servings for him. That might help you out.

Good luck, you can do this!
mollymeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225-(32 bmi)/196/174-(24bmi)

Height: 5'10"

My husband does get more points and usually loses twice what I lose which is frustrating, but I have been more successful losing weight since he started. We do not police each other because we both understand that no food is "bad" or off limits. We both have our own monthly pass and free etools. We go through recipes together and whoever cooks usually weighs the servings and then dishes it out for the other. I am glad he joined. It has done wonders for my weight loss.
SASCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #7  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Have fun with it! I'm on WW and my boyfriend is having to eat like me because I do all the cooking. He absolutely loves it. My advice is come up with a weeks worth of meals at a time.

Take time to look over all the great recipes available to you on here as well as WW. It's much easier to go grocery shopping one week at a time instead of a few days at a time and you'll find you come up with much better, more interesting recipes. We are on a very strict budget and this week we have had some amazing food. You can do it much more cheaply if you prepare in advance too.

As for the mobile app, your points are going to be much different as well. I would say if you both want to do it either sign up for two accounts of as Lovely said, order him an at home kit so you can do it together.

I think it's great that you and your hubby are joining together. Healthy relationships (both emotionally and physically) are fantastic! Welcome back!
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote