Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

Default Freezing Greek Yogurt?

I had a bad experience with the last greek yogurt I bought it had a mold patch with in 2 days of opening it. A BIG mold patch. I purchased it at our local Walmart ( which will not allow the return of food products any longer.. wouldn't know why) I can only assume somewhere along the line the yogurt was left out to long.

So to my real question... Can you freeze greek yogurt? Does it change the texture or anything?
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I don't know about the freezing part, but if the yogurt was Chobani, they'll send you a coupon if you call them directly.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #3  

That is good information to know thank you so much Riddy!!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I've had greek yogurt in the fridge for a week or so and still be good. never had it go bad in 2 days. umm... when it does go bad it just goes sour, never seen mold grow on yogurt. did you check the expiration date? I don't know Walmart's food return policy but it seems like maybe your yogurt was left out and then put back on the shelf or was just old and left on the shelf... I'm not one to return food but maybe in your case I would of returned it with a receipt so that store would be more careful.

Last edited by ringmaster; 01-25-2012 at 03:55 AM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

You can freeze it but it will change consistency when it's thawed and become kind of grainy. I experimented when I had to go out of town and still had part of one of those big containers. You can try it and see if you don't mind. If you use it for something like smoothies it's probably not a problem.

I am surprised you saw the mold so fast. I have never had mold happen to me with live yogurt even though I regularly keep yogurt in the fridge (unopened) way past its expiration date. Like, there is some in my fridge right now that I bought 6 weeks ago that I am working through and it's fine. (Long story involving a premium yogurt brand that I only buy when it's "marked for immediate sale".)* If it's "live" yogurt, normally the only thing that should happen is to get a little more yogurty (sour), because the yogurt bacteria transform the milk so that other bad critters can't grow there. But perhaps the wrong spore just happened to land on the top of that container after you opened it. I am always careful to go in only with a clean unused spoon, and I do use it within 3-4 days after I open it.

*But you might not want to live as dangerously as me. "Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice"
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #6  

bronzeager~ I had used a clean spoon.. the spot was close to the edge and had not been there when I opened it originally. And the yogurt its self smelled great ( I am one of those people who smells their food .. I smelled from what I had on the spoon.. my mom is one of those til it has mold on it or smells bad its good types.. you sort of get in a habit )

I do not buy milk from our local walmart because I have had it taste sour after getting it home and opening it the same day and well with in the sell by date. I worked there back in the day and saw some of the stuff that happened so it doesn't suprise me. I think I will limit my yogurt purchases to another grocery store.

Last edited by qtkitty; 01-26-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

That's weird they wouldn't take it back though. My mom had a cheese from Sam's that went bad and they took it after she had opened it. But then we noticed that it was also past its expiration date, so maybe that was it.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote