Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

Default Weight Gain on Ketosis?

I've managed to stay in Ketosis for a week now, and I even dropped a few pounds. But last night I went to my mom's, and ate quite a bit. It was all induction-friendly foods, such as turkey and salads. I weighed myself this morning and I'm up 6 lbs! I'm hoping this is just water weight, but I don't understand how this could happen as I only do light excerise and I'm nowhere near my TOM. It couldn't have been that much food!

Is it possible to gain weight during ketosis?
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

It is possible to gain weight in ketosis - calories still matter. However, I think I can confidently say that you did NOT eat enough last night to gain 6.5 pounds. Most likely it's water weight - which can be caused by a million different things - for me one of the biggest culprits is sodium. Just hang in there and ride out this fluctuation.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #3  

It sounds to me as if something you ate had too many carbs, possibly hidden sugar, or you simply ate too many carbs from legal food. When you do this, your body will flood your tissues with glucose and water, and you magically gain a Ton of weight overnight. Don't fret too much, just drink your 64 ounces of pure water + an extra few glasses every day until the weight comes off, and you body will let go of that water over the next few days. You might see most of it suddenly come off in a "whoosh", or it may take two-four days, but it will come off. Just get in your water.
Mikani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies. I'll definitely be taking in more water.

Another weird thing, last night I sort of had my period, except my period was just last week! ???? It was light and stopped after a few hours.

My mother thinks that the weight loss is just messing with my hormones. I'll be making the dreaded gyno appointment anyway, though.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #5  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

My cycles got messed up when I was doing Atkins back in 2010, and I remember another person here who experienced the same. I had a mid cycle period and the doctor said it was most likely due to the fact that I changed birth control types so I'm not sure if it was from Atkins or not.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #6  

See i am having this issue as well. I know i am in ketosis. I have all the symptoms, checked with sticks, and i use spark to track my food intake. i am down 3 lbs *tentative not sure its not just water* in almost 2 weeks. Maybe its because i am 37 now but i thought i would lose more by two weeks. i am over 250.

I am getting really frustrated because my mother and sister are "willy nilly" about it and are losing, meanwhile i track everything i put into my mouth. My sister ate a BOWL of ice cream and cheated one day and is still losing, she is only 2 years younger and no more active.

I am just ready to cry and quit. i keep thinking ok some morning i am going to get up and it will have moved 5lbs or something. My clothes are not any looser. I feel better, but i am getting demotivated because it seems its dragging.

Info:

I was eating 1400 i upped that to 1600 because i read too few calories hurt, my carb intake was less than 20 most days it was less than 15. I am eating lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage (all measured and tracked)

I am eating, steak, tuna, chicken

I use only mayo almost daily

and 2 tbl sp of ranch every other day at 2 carbs

My ratio is

Fats 72.8%
Carbohydrates 1.7%
Proteins 25.5%

Also track water, i drink 5 or 6 16oz bottle of water not counting any extra water with single pack or 1 soda (which i am scared to even drink) i did drink store bought tea last week you know with the yellow lid that has splenda, it says 0 0 0 0 for everything.

~sigh~ anyone been through this that maybe they can give me a light at the end of the tunnel. ALSO my "aunt" is expected next week so i hope that is it

Last edited by Biloxibound; 02-06-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: for water
Biloxibound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

I'm sorry you aren't losing, are you exercising at all? Looks like you are on the right track, but there may be hidden carbs somewhere. I remember a girl here who was taking chewable vitamin c and didn't realize all the sugar that was in it. I know you say your clothes don't feel looser but you still may be losing inches, which you won't know unless you take measurements.

It could also be because of TOM approaching. Try lowering your calories back down to 1400 as well, I don't think they were so low that they were causing you to stall.

The good news, you are still losing, even if it is slowly.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #8  

Have you restricted the coffee or tea in your diet?

Originally, I decided to do things 'right' and stop drinking coffee...But since I've started drinking it again, I've lost a tiny bit. I'd see if the lack of caffeine is affecting your weight loss efforts.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #9  

Thanks ladies

LOL when i say i log everything that goes into my mouth i do! Nope no vitamins, i walk on the treadmill 3x a week, i play just dance a lot like an hour or 2 at a time. I cut out tea i dont drink coffee. I think i am going to bring my tea back, i was scared because i buy the tea in the jug at the store that has splenda, and then i read 1 packet of splenda is a carb, so then i am thinking how many are in a gallon. I am making myself nuts with trying to "do the right thing".

Example today of menu was

Atkins Vanilla shake for breakfast

Lunch was a tuna crab cake, and a cup of iceberg lettuce with 1 tblspoon of ranch and peper.

I have not had dinner yet, i am not snacking.

Its just odd because i did this before and worked nights and did not exercise at all and lost weight. I am afraid its the shakes, they are such a lifesaver but if i have to give them up i guess i will.

The thing is I KNOW i am doing everything right this time. Hopefully the end of this week will bring better results. I was hoping i could come across someone who had a similar reaction, and could say "oh yeah happened to me by week 3 i was down XX pounds" LOL

Thank you so much for responding you just dont know how much it helps to see people willing to help

I made a new thread instead of hijacking this members http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atki...ml#post4207848

Last edited by Biloxibound; 02-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Biloxibound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

Maybe it's the Atkins shakes. The bars and shakes make me stall. Some people can't lose with them, there's a whole sugar alcohol debate about them.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You also have to consider the actual weight of the food you ate. It's going to appear as weight gain until digestion is completed (which can take up to 3 days). It's like if you drank a quart of water and stepped on the scale. Until you pee, the scale is going to register a two pound gain.

And as already mentioned, the calories still count. You can gain on ketosis, if you're eating more calories than you're burning. I've stalled and even gained weight on very low-carb diets, including Atkins induction. I had to add a portion/calorie control element, so I ended up choosing a low-carb exchange plan (and have experimented with different alottments of exchanges to get my carb levels just right).

It's important to remember that your body doesn't work on a daily or even weekly schedule. You have to look at big-picture trends.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote