Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Default Any Runners out There? Tips for a beginning runner

Hey! I want to become a runner.

What I mean is Ive been going to the gym regularly & Id like to start running.

I weigh 274 so I get out of breath pretty easily - usually after a minute or so. Any tips to help me build up my endurance?
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I highly recommend the couch to 5k program (just google it - there are LOTS of sites). It will work you up from running a minute at a time to being able to run for thirty minutes. It was GREAT for me. I finished it in November and now I'm running a few miles three times a week pretty easily. I downloaded a podcast (this one here) so all I had to do was put on my ipod and run when the voice said run. If you're a beginning runner in crappy shape (like I was), this program is exactly what you need.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Big fan of the C25K here!

If you are not in any kind of shape be sure to take it slow. A program like C25K was great for me because I wasn't a runner at all and frankly, it overwhelmed me. C25K began at a perfect pace for me.

I'm also a big fan of having proper shoes for running (or any high impact exercise). Any running shoe store will be able to check your gate and recommend a shoe that would be right for you. If that's not a possibility, I would aim for a shoe with good support at least.

Good luck! I was never a runner and found a lot of satisfaction in being able to do it as regular exercise
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #4  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Try this

January Running Thread
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 179/162/120

Height: 5'3

definately the couch to 5k!
good luck!
lilypad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Definitely couch to 5k type programme and definitely invest in good shoes! Ive been running for a while and am recovering from an overuse injury from running in bad shoes- not worth the risk!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks for all the advice guys! I appreciate it! ^_^
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/159/150

Height: 5'8

hello!
I started running last summer with absolutely no endurance or whatsoever. now i'm preparig for my first 10k. what really helped me is interval training. I've bought myself a watch (dont know if I'm allowed to post the name, but here is it: Casio LW-S200H-4ADF) with an interval beeper. I started out running for 2,5 minutes and walking for 1 minute. skiwky i0ve improved my intervals and speed. also, the interval training is good for you because it's dynamic and you wont be bored while running!
if you have any other questions, please ask or PM!
aleksandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/120/110

that's great that your looking into running, it's a great thing to do and once your used to running it can be really nice to run long distances .
About 20 minutes 3 times a week is ok, you can do as much as you want as long as you feel comfortable. it is a good starter but you might enjoy it enough to do longer as you get used to it.

Also I'd love to share some tips:

a) Make sure you get a GOOD pair of shoes because your feet are very important and you don't want to ruin them.

b) Pace yourself, You will get more out of your workout if you can do the whole time instead of speeding through the first 6 minutes and then walking the rest. Instead, start off with a job or light run and slowly go to where you are comfortable.

c) If your having trouble going for the full 20 minutes do intervals, 5 minute run 1 minute break.

d) Get a water bottle
pattyhues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #10  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

Hey, running is great! I started with difficulty about 5 years ago and I can't stop any more, because it feels like flying!

I started by choosing a 5km loop and trying to get through it as fast as possible - that meant that I had to run maybe 2 minutes and then walk 3 minutes and so on until I got stronger and was able to run the whole way

Starting slowly is very important and motivating.
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #11  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Also if you are running outside make sure you stay safe, run where there are plenty of other people around or with someone, and dont play your music too loud with earphones that are too good at reducing outside noise Something someone mentioned to me that i never thought about
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I'm a beginner myself and here is what I was told... start out running once a week. Walk the other days, stress duration rather than speed. As you get better, switch from running only one day to running two and then three, etc.. Interval training, as aleksandra said, is helpful, too. Make sure you wear the proper shoes and stretch first! If you find that you are really struggling, don't be afraid to slow down. If you push yourself too hard, you'll do more harm than good. It's a work in progress so don't expect rapid results. I've been running off and on for a few months now and I still can't break 13.5 minutes on my mile but I only run when I want to.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #13  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASaladandaDream View Post

I weigh 274 so I get out of breath pretty easily
lol I'm a 165 pounds and get out of breath really easily when I run too. so don't worry much about that part it happens to all of us doesn't matter the weight!

The other ladies have given great advice, C25K I tried doing, it would work for me if I had more dedication to it. I will probably pick it up again in the spring time, because I can't run on treadmills I hate them and feel like a hamster in it's wheel. I also find it easier to run outside even with hills and all.

Good luck! Keep up posted on how it goes!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Height: 5'6"

If you can, breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth.

I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but it's a tip that my in-shape, runner sister gave me, and it's worked for me so far it's worked.

I don't get out of breath as fast.
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 135/131/115

Height: 5' 4.5"/164cm

i really want to build up my stamina, too, so perhaps i'll give c25k a go :-)
gogosj is offline   Reply With Quote