Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default WW again and again- why?

I have been an on again off again member of WW for a while now. I started with the Personal Selection plan and became a lifetime member. Years later I tried the 123 plan and didn't really lose much weight- I got all of the program material. Then I thought I'd go back with Winning Points and give that a try. I never really lost more than a couple of pounds total. I have all the material. Recently I joined WW at Work for an 8 week session. During that 8 week session I lost 5lbs total and again received all the program material that I already had. So now here I am at 185 (which is 2lbs. higher than where I was when my WW at work session ended) and I'm trying to decide if I should go back to WW. But I feel like that would be a waste because I am just going to get the same program materials over again- I stopped enjoying the meetings a long time ago so I would really just be getting weighed. So my question is, how do you keep going to WW over and over again paying for the same things that you already have? I just feel like going back would be a waste of money because I can weigh myself at home. Maybe its just the accountability but is there more?
Old 02-21-2003, 11:05 AM   #2  

I don't always get a lot of new information out of the meetings, but they do perk me up and remind me that I am not alone! The WI part is also great incentive.
I am a huge fan of WW, it has served me well. HOWEVER, maybe it is not the program for you. For this program to work, you have to be willing to DO it, stick to it, and make permanent lifestyle changes. Forever!
I didn't quite wrap my mind around the forever and permanent part after the first time, so I gained a lot over my pregnancy. I understand this part now, though, so I think I can maintain better when I get back to goal.
If you do decide WW is for you, coming here is great support!
Good luck, in whatever you decide!
Old 02-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

I go to WW with 2 other friends then we all go out for coffee afterwards. So that probably helps when some weeks I don't feel like going but go since I know they are waiting for me. Also it seems to re-charge & re-motivate me week after week. I like seeing the new people & I think their enthusiasm rubs off as well as seeing lifetime members still come. Also when someone makes goal they are so proud of themselves & so is everyone else - I find it very moving. Every once in awhile we switch our meeting day & listen to a different speaker. Thats seems good to get different perspective from different speaker, as well as different views from the people there. Overall, for me I think going to the meetings & being part of a group with the same goals really helps me. I have tried several other diets & they all work for awhile, but I always seem to back-slide soon enough.
Also these boards are great & I find they help to keep me on track throughout the week.

Good luck with whatever you decide & remember, there are lots of us just like you out here - you are not alone.

Bye for now.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:23 PM   #4  

I went back to WW in May. This must be my 9th time since I became a lifetime member 15 years ago. Why do we go back? We all hope that this is the time it will penetrate the inner layer of brain that it has eluded previously. Personally, if I don't go to the meetings, then the only person I accountable to is me, and I don't trust me... It's important to find a leader and a meeting that you are comfortable with. I am back with the leader I became lifetime with and made a great friend there. She and I really support each other and call each other when we're stressed. Don't give up, each time you go back it means you want to do something positive for yourself. Go for it! I know you can do it!

Stacey
200.8/171.0/140
Old 02-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #5  

Default WW Again & Again

I've been feeling the same way about going back to meetings. I have been reading a book called "Flip the Switch" by Jim Karas and boy it's very eye-opeing. Maybe you can try and get a copy at the library or even purchase it. (Costco has it for $14.95, cover price is $24.95)

Hope it helps!
Old 03-02-2003, 05:27 PM   #6  

Default It's a head thing

Don't go back until you can understand why this time will be different from the other attempts. It isn't about the program. It is about having the right perspective. No program will work until you are committed to working it.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:09 PM   #7  

I get the impression that you have no idea what does motivate you. If the meetings don't motivate you, and apparently they don't, then you need to do some research on motivation.

I'd recommend some soul-searching, a great deal of thought re: exactly why you want to lose weight and what you are expecting to be different about your life when the weight is lost. What Dianne says above is true - it isn't about the program; it is about you and what you bring to the program.

I wish you the very best of luck!! WW works, but only if you want it to enough to work at it.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #8  

It sounds like you aren't ready to lose weight - or perhaps you have the diet mentality instead of the permanent lifestyle changes. You know, you can never return to your old way of eating. You have to make these changes forever. Are you ready for that? You can get a lot of support here but research has shown that those who actually attend a group in person lose 35% more weight and keep it off longer. Do you contribute to the group or just sit there? You need to get involved.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:56 AM   #9  

I started my third time with Weight Watchers January 8th of this year. I'd decided to change my attitude about it all and realize that I need to continue going for the rest of my life because I'm just no good at making food choices myself. I ned to see other people in the same boat. Whether or not I like the message of the meeting, the motivation tends to rub off on you if you continue to go - even if you're barely paying attention. I pick up something that helps at almost every one of them.

Have you thought about following the program six days a week? It helps from feeling deprived. You can have that one day per week to eat the junk that got you there in the first place. It will take you longer to lose but it will keep you going! (It worked for me the first time when I lost 30 lbs. and I'm doing it again)

Keep going back, keep giving Weight Watchers your money, keep hanging out here for advice and motivation, and please let us know how you're doing!

Kathy
Old 03-12-2003, 06:11 AM   #10  

It sounds like either WW is not the plan for you, or you are not ready to lose weight. There are so many different diet books on the market, maybe you could go to the library, take out the ones that interest you, and see which plan would be best for you that you can live with. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #11  

I like the meetings. I've made a few new friends there and enjoy hearing about all the successes that particular week. If I were just weighing in, I'd save my money and do it on my own.

I wish there were individual counseling available. I've stalled in my weight loss and could really use some advice from the WW leader. She did look over my journal and everything was the way it should be, however, I need some tricks to get over this platau.

The hardest part about losing weight is making up your mind to do it. You may not be there.
Closed Thread