Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat January 9 - January 15

It's time to get my head back into the notion of going outside when it's cold. Seems like each year I'm surprised by cold winds and invent, anew, the notion that it would be more comfortable to just stay inside. Sitting.

So today will include a long journey outside. I mean, I own a winter coat, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good morning all!

Bill Going out in the cold can be a challenge. Since I work out there all day I've experimented over the years with various ways to clothe myself for the cold. I've found 3 layers to be the most effective against all kinds of weather - except sleet.

I'm glad to be home, gettting back into stretch/strength routine. And relieved that I'm at red line, a lb. down from last weigh-in. Now if only I could convince Mudpie that no, she has not taken over as the head of the household . Lots of dominating behaviours from her last night, and this morning she's sulking.

Today I'm going to buy my dad a cheap cane and leave it at his house with minimal discussion. If he uses it to get around the house - fine. If not, his choice. Rome was not built . . .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

From last week's thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
I am finally back to my pre-surgery, pre-Thanksgiving weight and feeling fully recovered; yay. This is a great relief, as many people told me that surgery is a prime time for "permanent" regain. I was determined not to allow that.
neurodoc - That is so exciting! I am sure quite a bit of people gain during post-op because they aren't as active and then they struggle to get it off. I am sure it is quite a relief to not have fallen into the same hole.

New week here, and I'm hoping this week won't be as crazy as last week. It helps that we don't have a holiday in the mix. Last week I had four days in a row where lunch was delayed for some reason or other, and I think that's an issue for me. My blood sugar gets low, and then I eat things I shouldn't in amounts I shouldn't in order to get it back to where it should be. Don't want to fall in that ditch again.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageta View Post
From last week's thread:

neurodoc - That is so exciting! I am sure quite a bit of people gain during post-op because they aren't as active and then they struggle to get it off. I am sure it is quite a relief to not have fallen into the same hole.

New week here, and I'm hoping this week won't be as crazy as last week. It helps that we don't have a holiday in the mix. Last week I had four days in a row where lunch was delayed for some reason or other, and I think that's an issue for me. My blood sugar gets low, and then I eat things I shouldn't in amounts I shouldn't in order to get it back to where it should be. Don't want to fall in that ditch again.
I find that eating at regular times is a big help. I almost always eat at the same times every day. If lunch or any other meal is delayed how about a bit of yogurt or maybe a protein bar that will hold you and keep you from overeating or eating the wrong things ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday everyone.
First full week of work for me this year. It will be a long week though as dh has left for a couple of weeks, and I still have older dd home. We have 2 cars for 3 of us, and the two girls each think they NEED a car each day. It was worse last week when we had 2 cars for 4 of us! I'm exhausted already as I woke up at 4:45 yesterday and today. I had to work early yesterday and today I just beat my alarm. I'm also working early this Saturday and Sunday, and next Saturday and Sunday, so I'm in for some tiring weeks ahead. We get Martin Luther King Day off though so I have that one day to look forward to.

Dd is going to come to school with me Wed-Friday to observe the Special Ed classes at my school. That will hopefully go well but I'm sure I will have difficulties getting her up in time to go to work with me! She is going to teach Special Ed, so observing more classes and teachers will be helpful for her.

My nephew was also born over the weekend! We are thrilled. It is their first child (my dh's younger brother) and we wondered if they were going to have any! Dh will be able to visit briefly (they live in London) next week when he is traveling....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

Tomorrow will mark the beginning of the second week on Nutrisystem for me. I took yesterday "off" and will continue to do so on Sundays because of having the in-laws over for lunch and dinner. But, I was quite careful of what I ate yesterday (some YUMMY mahi mahi for dinner) and didn't go over 1500 calories and didn't gain over the weekend. It's all good.

Ah, it's cold here too. Weird how we have such cold nights in the desert. The other day the weatherman was explaining that the coastal areas have a 20 degree change from night to day and we have a 30 degree change. I can't remember why he said it was that way. But it makes for interesting clothing around here--you can often tell the tourists because they aren't as bundled up as the locals! Perhaps coming from a cooler locale makes them impervious to the nighttime lows we prefer to stay out of.

I, too, feel better when I eat at regular intervals. For me, breakfast is best between 7:30 and 8, snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 3 and dinner at 6. I'm still trying to figure out why I must have a dessert each day. I don't really want it, and I'm never hungry for it, but they keep saying to "eat all your food". This is the only drawback I see of Nutrisystem--so many desserts and breakfasts are sweet and I just don't have a sweet tooth and I'm afraid I'll gain one on this diet.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Good morning!

just don't have a sweet tooth and I'm afraid I'll gain one on this diet.
I do have a sweet tooth and that is the reason I have to diet.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

The weather has been really lovely (for January) here. Today I did my wog outside in short sleeves. Hooray for global warming?

I am at/over my red line today though. I'm having trouble getting into gear so far this year. Exercise is right on track but I've just been eating slightly too much. I haven't been eating much dessert, I haven't been eating much junk food, I haven't been stuffing myself extra-full . . . . I just keep having seconds of dinner. Sad that something that seems so small can make such a big difference.

We decided I can't take Carter with me on my wogs anymore. I had thought since I was building up slowly it would be okay for him to build up slowly too, but after the last couple he was acting kind of gimpy the rest of the day so I think it's just too much for him. He loves going with me -- he even knows how my watch works so when it beeps for me to start a run interval, he speeds up. He's never lagging behind or anything like that, he's out ahead the whole time. But he doesn't really know his limits and later in the day we will see him looking like his bad leg just isn't moving as easily.

Or it's possible that it's unrelated to the wogging and he's just been running up and down the stairs or jumping on our bed when we're not home. In any case we will stick to brisk walks with him instead.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #9  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I'm sitting at home waiting for my new washing machine to be delivered "anytime after 12:00". I will be glad when it gets here, but waiting is annoying. Emma would love to go for a walk right now, and I would love to take her, but I've got to stick close to home. I'll try to sit down and study my lines, and am just hoping I can focus (I need total silence and no distractions to focus).

My relaxing weekend changed course when a good friend who just moved back to a nearby town called and said "I'm on my way down! Let's hang out!" I'm so glad she's nearby again, but I needed to study my lines! My Saturday involved wine, pizza, and staying up until 3 am. It was so fun but I feel behind now. I did cook some healthy foods for the week ahead.

Jessica, how sad you can't take Carter wogging for now. He sounds like a great wogging companion! Maybe you could still take him once in a while, build up as you said, just more slowly.

Michele, congrats on your nephew's birth! I'm also looking forward to MLK off.

Neurodoc, great job staying on track during your recovery!!! That can be really tough, especially when activity is restricted. Kudos!

Dagmar, funny how pets get mad when they're told they're not the ones running things. Good luck with your dad.

Pageta, Bargoo, Allison, I also need to eat at regular intervals. Not only do I get hungry, I get hangry ("Hangry" = hungry + cranky). Part of my cooking over the weekend involved prepping healthy portable snacks to carry around. I always bring a little extra when I pack up my food for the day in case of hangry emergencies. My BF can not eat all day, then eats a pretty normal dinner, then goes to sleep. I don't understand it.

Have a great week all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #10  

Another one weighing in on the eating at regular intervals. I get "hitchy" - I leave that one to your imaginations - when I don't get my grub at regular intervals. DH can do the same thing as Megan's BF. But he does get quite cranky if he doesn't get caffeine at regular intervals.

So my dad was very pleased to get the cane. Men! Such fickle beings . . . And his "miraculous recovery from old age" continues .

We had a beautiful day again but the wind picked up rapidly in the afternoon. SO GLAD I didn't take off my tights when at home for lunch. And now dinner is already cooked - I my slow cooker.

Great evening all!

Dagmar
Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Speed boating with my wife on her birthday last Saturday ~

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
COOL! I love that Angie is driving!

Dagmar
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Speed boating with my wife on her birthday last Saturday ~

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
Gary, what a great day. Those big boats with their steeply raked smooth hulls make me feel really small, though they look really cool, like a piece of modern sculpture.

And I must ask this: During the wildlife sequence, in the picture that appears after the sea lions and the cormorants, what is that creature sticking up out of the water? Is that a spiky tail fin that I spy, of some kind of fish? Or is that what a sea lion's back flipper looks like?

There be dragons?

Last edited by saef; 01-10-2012 at 09:32 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6

Hi all.

Been awhile since my last post. Alot going on here. Gained eleven pounds back (on purpose) making my new weight: 125 lbs. I was too thin at 114 lbs. and lacked energy and frequent headaches. Surprisingly, due to dropping (excessive) cardio from my routine and mainly concentrating on my diet and weight training, I actually look smaller than before. I have much more energy and my focus is back once again.

Anyhoo...there's been absolutely no snow by me whatsoever and the weather forecasters aren't calling for any major storms until March so working out at home leaves me no wiggle room to make excuses, lol.

Just trying to take it one day at a time. That's all.

Last edited by fitmom; 01-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #14  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

My new washer is here and it looks like a space ship! It looks really high tech, lol. My old dryer still works but now looks sort of sad now in comparison to its new, sleek friend. Now I just have to get high efficiency laundry detergent and I can finally do laundry at home again.

I have been doing a lot of "hurry up and wait" the last two days at work and in personal life. I have crossed some things off my to-do list so hopefully now will just be normal busy levels. I've been eating the healthy food I prepped over the weekend and it's been keeping me really full, which is of course the goal. It's protein-rich and I added some healthy fats to dishes to keep me full. Pat on the back for good meal planning to me.

Activity has been lacking over the last two days due to work, rehearsals, and waiting for that darn delivery truck. I planned to walk Emma this afternoon and now it's raining, supposed to keep doing it for two days straight. We might suit up and head out anyway, at least until we hit Emma's rain tolerance. She will walk in some rain but not a downpour. We both need to stretch out legs!

Hi fitmom, glad to see you again! Did you add a new avatar? You look great! Glad you've found a more comfortable maintenance place for yourself. The weather has been strange this year.

Gary, looks like a fun time! Happy birthday to Angie! I could have told you women make the best boat drivers.

Dagmar, I'm not good about using my slow cooker very often even though I should - what a great tool! Do you have any good slow cooker recipes to share? I saw a slow cooker recipe on the Hungry Girl website last week for "Yippee-Ki-Yay Spicy Southwest Chicken Chowder" that sounded great. I've bought the ingredients and plan to make it Thursday.

Shannon, JayEl, and my other fellow Southerners, stay dry out there!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Busy day...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote