Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/302/150

Default Walking with problem toe pain

I could use some advice. My 2nd toe on my right foot starts hurting about 15-20 minutes after I start walking. And it only hurts when walking, not when doing low impact aerobics or anything. I've had this off and on for years and because it's not discolored or swollen, the doc says it's not a big deal and just needs rest, but I'm really afraid it's going to keep me from exercising as much as I should.

What can I do to prevent the pain in the first place? I ice it afterward which helps immensely, but the pain limits the amount of walking I can get in. Are there insoles that would help? How about taping to the toe next to it? What do you recommend?
stranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

I think it is because of the pressure of your weight.

For people who are heavy, there will be high pressure to the foot area because that is the place where most of your weights will focus on.

An alternative would be to avoid exercises that involves walking and try to find other exercises that you enjoy.

As you become lighter, the pain will subsides as less and less pressure are involved.
wanzulfikri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I deal with foot pain too

Hi So I have a more advanced issue than toe pain alone (Posterior tibial tendon dysfunction and plantar fasciitis) but I think physical therapists' advice will work for you too. MY Dr. and PT told me not to do anything that causes pain, which is walking for me so instead of walking they want me to do the stationary bike and swim. Also, you may want to have a gait analysis done ( a store called Varsity sports does this near my house) to make sure that you have the right kind of shoes for your specific needs. Insoles can also help which are also determined on an individual basis, but one word of advice-do not get anything that is gel or too soft because your feet need support. Good luck!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/181/135

Height: 5'7''

I lost a lot of weight all last year. My feet got a lot thinner and narrower.
I have a LOT of extra toe room in my shoes now.
You might have excess fat putting pressure on a muscle or nerve, which then causes the pain.
When my mother lost 50 pounds and got below 200, the pain in her feet began to go away. My mother had insoles, and the doctor cut out the area around one of her toes that hurt. As she dropped more weight she didn't need any insoles.
I bet when you lose more weight the pain will subside also.
MARLA26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #5  

Okay, so you're able to do other low-impact weight-bearing exercises. So it's probably not just you're-too-heavy.

How, specifically, does your toe hurt? Where in the toe? When in your stride-- when you strike the ground, when you roll through when you push off?

How old (or how many miles, roughly) are your walking shoes?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #6  

Thank you, MariaMaria.

I do not have a normal gait. My right leg is 1 1/2 inches longer than my left, which is probably part of the problem, but there's nothing I can do about that. The toe feels pretty numb, worst when I sit or lay down. It's the top of the toe, all the way around. It doesn't hurt when I push off and bend it, oddly, but at rest or during the initial strike on the floor.

My shoes are pretty old, I am hoping to get some new ones later tonight.

EDIT: Oops, meant to add that I wanted to have some idea what to look for when getting new shoes, insoles, stuff like that which might help. Knowing the insoles shouldn't be too soft is a big help.

Last edited by stranded; 01-08-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #7  

I think with the leg length difference you're looking at a visit to a sports medicine person or a podiatrist for help here. (And I'll be interested to see how others chime in.)

My gut reaction is that the at-rest stuff is some kind of pinched nerve and the foot-strike is something else, FWIW. And it it were me I'd wait to get in-person advice before trying to fix the impact pain via shoes.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #8  

Since the doc didn't seem concerned (just saw him on the 23rd) I was hoping that meant this wasn't something to see a doctor for. I'm a medical transcriptionist and know the ortho/sports medicine people in town and... let's just say I didn't want to have to go there.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #9  

Major leg length discrepancy and pain when you're not walking is way beyond anything I feel comfortable even speculating about further.

I hope you figure out what's going on.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #10  

Me too! I don't think the toe is from the leg length directly, this is something I was born with but the toe problem is comes up only when I walk a lot. I wasn't trying for major medical advice, I hope I didn't sound like I was. Just something to tide me over so I could keep walking and not have to rest for so many days that I lose momentum with exercise.