General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Oral fixation?

Lately I've found that the hardest part of dieting is not fighting hunger, but the sort of addictive feeling of eating as a form of soothing. While dealing with the internal issues that trigger eating is more of a long-term goal, I'm wondering if any of you have some in-the-moment techniques for calming a nasty oral fixation.

Also, gum, so far, has not worked for me
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know what you mean. For me, gum can help, but not always. I like frozen grapes. One cup is 100 calories and takes a while to eat. I save lots of calories for the evening precisely because of this issue. Try making some air popped popcorn. Another route is to simply keep your hands busy. Painting a picture or your nails, coloring books (yeah, sounds childish but is surprisingly relaxing), crochet/knit, organizing your photos or closet, scrapbooking, dance around, suck on a lollipop, sugar free popsicles (they have ones that are only 15 calories each), go for a walk, use kinnect if you have it to dance around, you get the picture. The idea is to keep busy so that you don't just focus on putting food in your mouth. Have you tried a cup of hot tea? Sometimes that helps people too.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #3  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Gum didn't work? darn, that's always been my backup, especially at the computer or in stressful situations.

How about tea - more luxury types?
Repeated application of lip balm - though this could become another bad habit.
Frequently brushing your teeth when getting the urge?
Aromatherapy/Incense?
A healthy smoothie of some type?

Congrats on your success so far, I must say!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Good that you don't smoke! That would be a hard habit to break for someone with an oral fixation.

I know the feeling you are describing - I don't think there is any way to "solve it", unfortunately. I find I need hot beverages ALL the time. I started simply sipping on warm/hot water. It is soothing.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Same as Unna! I make two cups of coffee in the morning and keep it very hot, sipping on it carefully. When it gets cool enough to gulp I reheat it. Those two cups last me until lunch.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote