Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #1  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 244/199/140

Height: 5"5

Default About Calorie Counting....?

I have decided to give regular calorie counting a try. No points, exchanges, or what have you. I just created a Fit Day account and according to this I can eat 1,532 calories a day in order to achieve a loss. Is it just me or does this seem a little high?

I mean before when I gave calorie counting a try(with out the use of tools) I stayed around 800-1,000 calories a day. It seemed to work for me and I don't ever remember feeling hungry. I had the occasional cravings for things like chocolate and Chinese/Thai food but that was it, but nothing like weakness.

So I guess what I am asking is should I folly fit days recommendations or stick with what worked before?

Thanks!
And Happy New Year!
WannaBaSkinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

If anything 1500ish seems a little low for your weight. Then again I don't know how much you're exercising.

Try 1500, or maybe even more. If you find after some time you're not losing then you can always lower your calories for the day.

I lost mainly eating 1200, but I didn't get to that level until I got closer to my goal weight. The first 30 pounds I lost eating around 1500-1600 calories a day (my estimate, I wasn't really religiously calorie-counting then)

I wouldn't go with your old calorie counting style. That's probably much too low to safely lose weight for someone of your height and size.

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't think 1532 is too high I think it sounds a bit low considering your goal weight of 145.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

im an inch or so taller than you and heavier than you, i eat 1200-1400. id say 1500 is a good starting point, thats what i started with but i found it hard to eat that much food in a day so i am for 1400 now but often times dont make it there lol its all about finding what works for you. alot of ppl told me 1800-2k cause of my height and weight but than id lose half-1lb a week if that, instead of the 2lbs im aiming for. they dont take into account my lifestyle or how badly ive damaged my metabolism with crash diets, so thats why i say start at 1500 and adjust. if you need more add more if you need less than subtract. i wouldnt go lower than 1200 tho unless you were like 4'11 which youre not.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

1,500 doesn't sound terribly high to me either. I started at around 1,800 a day and was losing consistently. I have been pretty off track for the last six months or so, but am jumping back in starting at 1,700 a day and will see how that works for a few weeks. I think it really depends heavily on your activity level.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Ticker.

I am currently having this same dilemma. I am using the VidaOne program and it tells me exactly how many calories I should be consuming daily with moderate exercising to achieve a certain weight in a year. I played around with the numbers and it ranges from 1700-1800 per day.
I rarely eat breakfast and should probably start, but so far today I have only consumed 210 calories. This is 20 Light Lays, a pickle & a sandwich (turkey breast and two slices of 45 calorie per slice whole grain wheat bread).
I know I need to consume more to keep my metabolism in check, but I'd feel like I am over eating.
MissGuided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #7  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 244/199/140

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGuided View Post
I am currently having this same dilemma. I am using the VidaOne program and it tells me exactly how many calories I should be consuming daily with moderate exercising to achieve a certain weight in a year. I played around with the numbers and it ranges from 1700-1800 per day.
I rarely eat breakfast and should probably start, but so far today I have only consumed 210 calories. This is 20 Light Lays, a pickle & a sandwich (turkey breast and two slices of 45 calorie per slice whole grain wheat bread).
I know I need to consume more to keep my metabolism in check, but I'd feel like I am over eating.
This is it to a "t". If I'm not on any plan or watching what I eat I eat wayy to many calories.(clearly since i'm over weight.) But when I do diet and eat low/fat free foods I come in under count?! Its really frustrating...
WannaBaSkinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBaSkinnybride View Post
This is it to a "t". If I'm not on any plan or watching what I eat I eat wayy to many calories.(clearly since i'm over weight.) But when I do diet and eat low/fat free foods I come in under count?! Its really frustrating...
I'm having this same issue right now maintaining in that I can't seem to eat enough to maintain. I only want healthy foods now and I'm currently paying the price for eating a small peanut butter cup and some frosting during making a gingerbread house (which is ridiculous, both were really really small amounts! Ah well). Honestly though that dark chocolate peanut butter cup from trader joe's was WORTH IT.

The important thing is to lose weight slowly and safely. The best way to do that is to eat a good amount of healthy calories and slowly lower the amount as you close in on your goal weight.

It may take time for you to get used to eating more, but nobody is saying that you have to jump into this change. You can slowly add more as you go along. You may also consider calorie cycling.

I've been slowing adding to the amount of calories by doing the following:

It's a slow process but the important thing is to eat healthy and give your body the nutrients it needs. It also pays to get used to eating more and planning to eat more because you'll have to do it at maintenance. Don't push planning for maintenance off because THAT is much, much harder than losing weight and requires much preparation.
          Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #9  
          Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Also, I remember seeing studies that say if you eat the "low fat" or "no-fat" alternatives, you'll wind up craving more/consuming more. That's why I, at the moment, chose the regular versions of foods in moderation of course. But you need to eat! Fuel your body properly.
          Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 01-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I've been attending a physical fitness boot camp for the last four weeks. Part of the program consists of nutritional counseling. I've been advised that I should eat no less than 1500 calories a day (5-300 calorie mini meals) so that my body doesn't go into 'starvation mode'. I have consistently lost weight on this plan.
          seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 01-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Ticker.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Kara View Post
          @MissGuided, not only are you n0t eating enough, you're not eating very healthy.
          What is considered 'eating healthy' by your standards, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by MissGuided; 01-01-2012 at 06:51 PM.
          MissGuided is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227/243.8/146

I didn't read what everyone else wrote, so sorry if I am repeating anything...that said, I don't think 1500s is bad, but I think if you might like calorie cycling. That's what I have been doing, and I really like it. I go between 1200-1800. That way, your metabolism doesn't get set in a routine. I eat more calories on days I work out, and less on days I don't. Granted, I am not losing very fast, but I have NOT been working out like I should. It would be going a lot better if I did. Just try a few different things, and see what seem realistic and comfortable to you.
          noelle8310 is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 227/243.8/146

I think you might like** not if.
          noelle8310 is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

just responding to ppl on this thread barking at others because their plan doesnt fit into their standards.i get sick and tired of ppl that tell me im not eating right, im the one that knows my body, not them. i know my body feels amazing when i eat 13-1400 right now and i know it feels like crap when i eat more. im not gonna bloat myself and make myself sick and lethargic because im not following someone elses standards. then they say oh youll gain it back when you eat maitenance! uhh no i wont. im not going to go from eating 1400 to 1700 calories at maitenance in one day. im not going to shock my body. i slowly decreased to 13-1400 until i was where my body feels good. im healthier now than i ever was. ppl get really messed up when they see youre not on the exact same plan thats working for them. every ones lives and bodies are different, what works for one person isnt going to work for everyone. im tired of hearing the fear tactics that youll gain it back or youre body is gonna be sick and youll stop losing weight! yea cause if i eat 700-800 below my maitenance im magically going to conjur up fat to make up for it out of thin air. youre not going to gain weight eating less its not magic. if that were true people wouldn't be able to starve to death, they'd just get to a point where they just stalled forever and eat food than boom-they are magically fat. and wouldnt die. stalls happen and they end. just do what makes YOUR body feel right, you have to experiment. YOUR body could feel great at 1500 or 2000. no one can tell you whats right for you, unless they are your doctor, as long as youre losing on avg 1-2lbs a week youre probably not going to do alot of muscle or metabolism damage, especially if youre working your muscles . sorry that im dramatic its just everyones so different and i hate ppl getting up in arms cause someone is different

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 01-01-2012 at 07:46 PM.
          CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #15  
          Leveling Up

Quote:
          Originally Posted by charlaine09 View Post
          just responding to ppl on this thread barking at others because their plan doesnt fit into their standards.i get sick and tired of ppl that tell me im not eating right, im the one that knows my body, not them. i know my body feels amazing when i eat 13-1400 right now and i know it feels like crap when i eat more. im not gonna bloat myself and make myself sick and lethargic because im not following someone elses standards. then they say oh youll gain it back when you eat maitenance! uhh no i wont. im not going to go from eating 1400 to 1700 calories at maitenance in one day. im not going to shock my body. i slowly decreased to 13-1400 until i was where my body feels good. im healthier now than i ever was. ppl get really messed up when they see youre not on the exact same plan thats working for them. every ones lives and bodies are different, what works for one person isnt going to work for everyone. im tired of hearing the fear tactics that youll gain it back or youre body is gonna be sick and youll stop losing weight! yea cause if i eat 700-800 below my maitenance im magically going to conjur up fat to make up for it out of thin air. youre not going to gain weight eating less its not magic. if that were true people wouldn't be able to starve to death, they'd just get to a point where they just stalled forever and eat food than boom-they are magically fat. and wouldnt die. stalls happen and they end. just do what makes YOUR body feel right, you have to experiment. YOUR body could feel great at 1500 or 2000. no one can tell you whats right for you, unless they are your doctor, as long as youre losing on avg 1-2lbs a week youre probably not going to do alot of muscle or metabolism damage, especially if youre working your muscles . sorry that im dramatic its just everyones so different and i hate ppl getting up in arms cause someone is different
          While everyone is different there are some things that just aren't healthy. The OP said she ate 800-1,000 calories; that's not enough! She's 5'6" so she's not short at all (shorter people may be able to safely eat below 1200, because they're smaller and require less in general). We are simply offering advice and telling her that 1500 calories isn't high at all (and it's quite alarming that she thinks that 1500 seems high).

I know the maintenance thing was a jab at me, and I don't understand what was the cause of it. If you haven't had to maintain before, you can't really understand how difficult it is. I haven't even been maintaining for long and I can see that I should have planned for it more and I see so many people making the mistake and excuse of saying "I can't eat more." They shrug and decide to just worry about maintenance when they get there.

Well, unless you're short and at a really low weight, you can't really sustain yourself on 1200 calories forever. Learning strategies and plans NOW can help when you get to your goal weight so you do maintain. I'm not saying that one will magically regain if they keep eating low, but rather they that they'll keep losing weight and maybe get too thin! Diets that are also too restrictive may lead to binging and weight regain.

I offered up advice to safely add calories to one's diet. I'm not saying "THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO," because it's not. However, like a lot of posters on here, my hunger cues are messed up. We sometimes have to work around that to ensure we eat healthy and get to and maintain a healthy weight. Like you, I've found what works for me; maybe it'll work for someone else too.

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-01-2012 at 08:22 PM.