Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Runners/Joggers be honest with me... 5K question

What's the longest time you can take to run/jog a 5K and still be "in the pack."

I've just started back to regular exercise and would like to work toward jogging a 5K. I will train until I'm confident I can do one and finish with pack, even though it will be toward the back of the pack.

I have this irrational fear that they will start packing up the race and letting the cars onto the streets while I'm still working at it. This happened to a friend of mine when she ran a marathon.

So please tell me what you think. While I'm very overweight, I'm 27 years old and walk throughout my day, so while my weight sounds high, I still think I'm capable of training toward jogging a 5K.

Thanks!!!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

It totally depends on the city and type of race you run. You're in SF- the average race time there is going to be certainly faster than the average in my hometown in Tennessee. A hilly race may attract more serious runners than a flat course.

What I would do if I were you is google 5Ks in SF and find past race results. Find a fun run or family-oriented 5K and check out the times. I'm going to take a huge guess and say if you can run a 5K in 35-38 minutes you will meet your goal of being still "in the pack."

Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #3  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'm not sure I can call myself a runner/jogger, as I haven't been able to run now for almost 8 weeks, and I was only a "runner" for about 8 weeks before that! I did run a 5K during that time though, after having started running only 4 weeks prior to the race. I, too, was worried about being the slowest one there and finishing the race well behind everyone else, as my only goal was to be able to get through the race without stopping to walk. I unintentionally ran the race at a faster pace than I'd been training at - which was still pretty slow, but rough for me on a very hilly route - and finished with a time of 36:29. I was 70th out of 103 people, and the slowest four times among all racers were > 60 minutes. There was several people who did a combo of walking and running for the race, which accounts for the slower times. Others could give you a better perspective from more experience, but I'd say that if you're planning on running the whole thing you are unlikely to be at the back of the pack.

Good luck with your training, and have fun!!!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Keep in mind that TONS of the experienced runners are there just to work on their time. Don't even try to keep up with them - that wouldn't be a fair goal for you.

There will also be a lot of more unexperienced runners (due to the short distance) that will ensure that you aren't alone. No one is going to be closing down shop on you!!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/136/133

Height: 5'-5"

Bigger races will have more "slower" people. Find a bigger race that's walker friendly and I guarantee that you won't be anywhere close to last! I like the idea of googling past results of the race that you want to do.
Trail Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #6  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Height: 5' 7"

Like others have said don't worry about the pace of a "race.". You are going to see all types of joggers at an event. The one and only organized run I have completed so far (thanksgiving day) had all types of runners. This was my first 5k and I completed in 35 mins, but I have since been running the same distance in 37 min. I am almost 55 and feel good that I can even run this far. Just don't push it and have fun.
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Most races will publish a max time that the course will be open for. There are usually people that walk the whole thing especially if it's a family-friendly or fundraiser run, so if you run any of it you will be golden. My son and I did a 4-miler earlier this year and finished in 1:15, I think, and were probably about 2/3 of the way back (out of 10,000 people so nowhere near the end).
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Thanks everyone!!! I had no idea all these 5Ks around me would post last year's times online but they do. I'm going to work toward finishing in 45 min and then sign up for the next convenient one. I have no idea if that will be in 8 weeks or 6 months but we'll see. Jogged/walked for 30 min twice this week, taking an off day tonight and I will be back at it tomorrow and Friday

Last edited by Underwater; 12-28-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote