Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 01:47 AM   #1  

Default questions for ya'll

Hello, I guess that I should introduce myself.
I am 23, happilly attached (not married), dealing w/ weight loss and depression as well. The depression has been a consistant part of my life for well over 6 years. However, I was only just 'officially' diagnosed 6 months ago. A bad episode almost tore apart my relationship and I agreed to seek help... the NP that I went to was very impressed with my ability to cope... astonished that logic was able to overcome many suicidal tendencies... and according to 'the test' diagnosed me as severe clinical. So, I started Paxil. It helped. Alot. But, it is too expensive for me to refill the RX. Ironicly, I lost my job days before my health coverage began directly due to another bad episode.
Which leads me to my questions:
1- Is there any way that you know of to get more affordable / or free medications. I don't think that there are any gov't help that is available.... and I'm not even positive that depresion is considered a handicap.

In the past year it has cost me 2 jobs. I am unemployed and trying hard to deal w/ it as I search for another place of employment....

question 2 - Is there any legal protection to keep this from happening again? Like, if I inform them of the condition, ... I don't know. Anything?

Thanks for your help. I am totally tired right now, but I'll post a Bio as soon as I can. I'm addicted to 3FC, so I'm sure I'll be back soon.

TTFN
-Washu-
Old 02-16-2003, 11:03 AM   #2  

Default Got some caffeine. hope I can help a little

Good Morning Washu and welcome to what we affectionately call the "nutty boards". You ask some good questions. While I am not a medical nor legal expert by any stretch of the imagination, I will try and see if I can give you some ideas.

One of the things our President supposedly was going to work on when he took office was an way to make prescription medication more affordable to people. I think he was primarily gearing this for seniors, but it may very well apply to others. It hasn't happened yet. At this time, there are private health plans in existence. Some may or may not cover your depression. They might deem this a pre-existing condition. I have switched health plans over the years and have never had a problem with getting my depression meds covered. ( I was diagnosed 9 years ago). One place to get medication is from your doctor. They have tons and tons and TONS of samples. If you explain to your doctor your current financial position, that you had to stop taking meds, she/he may provide you with enough samples to last awhile. Another way to get help would be to be declared disabled, but that would mean your doctor would have to diagnose you as such. I believe Disability Insurance is a state run program ( at least it is in California) and things can vary drastically from state to state.

As far as legal protection, I am not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that you believe you were let go due to your depression? I think that in order for you to be protected, your depression would have to be declared a handicap... like deafness and blindess.. etc.. It is illegal to discriminate in employment based upon certain disabilities. There are all sorts of legal qualifications and determinations on this, so it isn't as cut and dried as it seems. I may be wrong here, and hopefully a legal eagle will be along to correct me, but I do not think at this time in our country depression is classified as a handicap.

Your doctor is the best resource for you to start with. Yes, it will cost you the dollars it takes for a visit, but I think it would be a wise investment. If you just call your doctor, I think it might be easier for them to say no to your request for free samples.. since you aren't there and the phone tends to de-personalize things.

I can really empathize with the cost of medications. I am carrying my own medical insurance right now, since I am a contract employee. Times are very tough in the job market , so try not to take being unemployed as a personal relfection upon you. The question isn't IF you wil get a job, it is WHEN. You eventually will get a job.. it may be a week, it may be a month.. or more. Try temp agencies. I hope you have already filed for unemployment insurance.

Good Luck and keep posting. During the week, we have a "Daily" thread.. a new one for each day. I hope you'll join us there.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:25 AM   #3  

What state are you in? I work for a "community services board" in Virginia, which are government (state, local and federal) supported mental health & substance abuse centers. Although not all states have a system of Community Services Boards, most states have something similar set up. We provide services on a sliding scale basis, which means that fees for service are based on one's ablity to pay. Also, individuals using our service have access to prescription drug programs that provide prescriptions either for free, or at a discounted rate, provided the individual is willing to fill out extensive paperwork (actually, the clinical staff usually take on that task, if I remember correctly...) Just a thought!
Closed Thread