Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 03:09 PM   #1  

Red face does anyone else read cookbooks?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has the odd hobby like me of reading recipes? I especially enjoy the line of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks-if you're not familiar with them, they're published by two friends in Ohio and have very down to earth, easy to make recipes for everything from appetizers to desserts. Their books contain charming illustrations and stories about where the recipes came from (a lot are submitted by people around the country who have mothers and grandmothers that handed down the recipes). They're not low fat (except for one of their books) but I can adapt many of the recipes to be healthier.

Sherry
Old 02-15-2003, 03:11 PM   #2  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Oh my goodness - I thought I was the only one who did that. People think I'm crazy when I say I read cookbooks. I love them, I must own 100 of them. I just love all the things people think of to do with food.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I am reading "Lake House Cook Book" - written by Trudie Styler (Sting's wife)
Beautiful pictures! They grow their own organic food.

It's a wonderful hardcover book - got it on ebay for $8

Jerie - one hundred cook books

Sherry - I love gooseberry books! - I have one of their christmas books - more then just a cookbook, also had craft ideas.
Do you they have a low fat one?
I just love getting their catolog!

Dana
Old 02-15-2003, 05:07 PM   #4  

Default cookbooks....

I am so glad to find out I'm not alone in my cookbook collecting habit. My husband just rolls his eyes, and says "you don't make all these different recipes, why do you keep buying cookbooks?" I also subscribe to Taste of Home, Light N Tasty and Quick Cooking .

Dana, I love Gooseberry Patch books. The one healthier cookbook is called "Good For You." Check their website quickly-gooseberrypatch.com, cause they're actually discontinuing that one.I think it's marked down to clearance for eight or nine dollars.
I have two of the Christmas books, a cookie one, a dessert one and several "all around" cookbooks-I think about eight of their books in all. I'd like to buy more when my budget allows

You might also like the "Among Friends" cookbook series too (check amazon) They are kind of like Gooseberry patch, which lovely illustrations and stories.

I didn't know Trudie Styler had a cookbook out. I'll have to look in the library. I am a big Sting fan, too.

Sherry

Take care,
Sherry
Old 02-15-2003, 05:45 PM   #5  
Catwoman

I love cookbooks with nice glossy pictures, I hardly ever cook any of them but love browsing and checking out how beautifull the food is. I'd like to be able to cook and present food like that. I get ideas from the books and make things to suit me. I also love cooking shows on cable, watching professional chefs cooking and how they do it. I figure I can't eat that much food anymore but I can still watch it and drool!
Old 02-15-2003, 06:43 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quick Cooking is the best magazine ever made. Their headquarters is about 20 minutes from here, it's a cool place to visit.

So yeah, I read cookbooks. I have about 15-20. I like church cookbooks the best.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #7  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Well, I do have about 100 cookbooks, but a lot of them are inherited from my step-grandmother and my father. I really love all the very old ones. Some of them are just hysterical. One of my faves is one from about the middle 40's called "healthy family cooking" put out by Crisco. You can imagine how "healthy" the food is when each one is either deep fried or has at least a cup of shortning in it. I also have one of my mom's from the early 30's that tells you how to treat your servants. (no, she never had servants either)

I have never heard of the "gooseberry" cookbooks. I'll have to check them out.

Last edited by soiley; 02-16-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

sorry gals, don't read cookbooks. But I do enjoy a good recipe. I used to get quick cooking, but with my change of lifestyle I ordered light & tasty instead. I rarely made anything from quick cooking, but I made 4 reacipes from my 1st issue of light & tasty so far!! The recipes are more complicated, but they turn out great!
Old 02-16-2003, 11:22 PM   #9  

See, Quick Cooking & Taste of Home have healthy recipes interspersed (is that a word? ) in w/the other ones. I wish they would put out a cookbook: Quick Cooking's Healthy Recipes.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:27 AM   #10  

Default cookbooks..

Yes, I wish there were a Quick Cooking Healthy cookbook too.

I am good adapting many of their higher fat recipes-use lean ground turkey instead of beef, all lower fat cheese, etc. But some of their recipes are way too unhealthy, and I don't make them at all. I can't believe the amount of butter some of them use!

I do have many quick lowfat cookbooks, though. I can post their names if anyone is interested.

Sandi, I like Light N Tasty, too.

Take care,
Sherry
Old 02-17-2003, 07:42 AM   #11  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Yes, Sherry..
I would love to get some names of your low fat cookbooks
Old 02-17-2003, 09:55 AM   #12  

Does anyone else have Looneyspoons? It's a wonderful book w/diet tips in the margins, such as "You can have 10 baked potatoes for the same fat grams as a small order of french fries", etc.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:12 PM   #13  

Oh yes!!!
I use cookbooks as my "window" into other people's/ country's. I also collect the old Time Life series of books that each featured a particular country. I have learned so much trivia about other cultures this way it is amazing. The new book section of the library is also my haunt- they have those overpriced but gorgeous new cookbooks, and I seem to be the only one checking them out (everyone else is grabbing the "diet" ones). I think my all time favorite bedtime reading is "When French Women Cook" by Madeline Kamman (spelling?) Makes me cry every time as she recalls the amazing women who brought her up and taught her about real cooking. Glad to know I'm not the only one!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #14  

Default cookbooks...

I like the LooneySpoons cookbooks-I 've gotten them out of our library several times. Check those out, Dana

Some of the low fat cookbooks I have are by Evelyn Tribole-they are put out by Rodale Press (from Prevention Magazine) and are called Healthy Homestyle Cooking and More Healthy Homestyle Cooking. (but some of these recipes are time consuming. I also have three cookbooks by Holly Clegg-they're all healthy, and one is quick and healthy. Your library probably has those. Another one I've used for over ten years is called "Set For Life", which uses very basic, regular ingredients. I love their recipes for spaghetti pie and sweet and sour stir fry chicken (you make the sweet sauce with honey-yum!. That one also has a buch of low fat mexican casserole recipes. They're low fat as well. That one I believe is out of print, but check the library, or the used book website called "Advanced Book Exchange." (do a yahoo search) You can find most any out of print book on there. (my other addiction-buying fiction and mysteries!) Since I'm a former vegetarian, and now a semi-vegetarian I have a lot of meatless cookbooks, but many of them were those small ones put out by Pillsbury that they sell in the grocery store. I also like the cookbooks released by Prevention magazine-I think the one I have is called "Eat Up Slim Down.' It was put out with two different titles.

Hope this helps. I can dig up more titles if you need them. I'm going by memory. When I have more time, I'll post some of my favorite recipes here.

Take care,
Sherry
Old 02-19-2003, 11:25 AM   #15  

I love to read cookbooks!! Especially the old ones. I recently goit some of my dh's grandmother's old cookbooks from the 40's. They are just fabulous and filled with so many silly tips.
Closed Thread