Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175+/113/120

Height: 5'6"

Default So far I am holding my own...what gets you during the season?

Hello fellow maintainers! I am doing good and holding my own this season. The temptation is great and I have indulged in sweets HOWEVER I work out daily...it seems to be saving me. What tactics are you using to maintain over the season? What are your favorite indulgences...I love holiday cookies
sisypheanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

So far I'm having luck limiting cookies to special occasions such as a holiday party. I haven't made anything at home yet this year - not having things around sure makes it a lot easier not to each such things. Just sayin'...

I'm trying to make the season special in other ways - Christmas music, for example. I love baking and have a long list of things I like to have during this season, but I've decided to only make one or two and wait until much closer to Christmas. Call me Scrooge but it's working.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm more or less ignoring Christmas, hoping it will go away.

I guess not. Still, I am doing my best.

What I struggle with is the short days and the early darkness. I try to schedule more things in the evenings that would get me out of the house. I keep thinking that being in motion can save me.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I just pretend like its no different than any other season. Temptations are always there, and I always give in occasssionally, but just because it's Christmas doesn't mean I should do it more.

I also exercise daily and winter is training season for me so I actually am working out a little more.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I don't actually indulge more than usual in a treat, etc but there's not being able to sustain my daily workouts due to guests, travel, business ... Like being away for a week before thanksgiving, having guests the week of thanksgiving and then having major home repairs on and off since. It bothers me when my hour-long bike is the thing that relents.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageta View Post
So far I'm having luck limiting cookies to special occasions such as a holiday party. I haven't made anything at home yet this year - not having things around sure makes it a lot easier not to each such things. Just sayin'...

I'm trying to make the season special in other ways - Christmas music, for example. I love baking and have a long list of things I like to have during this season, but I've decided to only make one or two and wait until much closer to Christmas. Call me Scrooge but it's working.
I'm doing much the same. I love my homemade egg nog, and last year [when I was just fat and not on a plan], I made a batch once a week or so. This year, I calculated the calories, and it comes to approx. 200 calories per 1/2 cup---Ouch! I'll still have some, but I'm waiting until the weekend before Christmas to make it.

Also, I'll have some treats on special occasions, but I won't use the season as a reason to eat for month as I've done in the past. Also, I am exercising 6 days a week for at least an hour each time (often more).

Finally, I cycle my calories, so I have a few lower calorie days (1400), which means I can have some higher calorie days, which I use for some treats.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Look around us, fattening fare is everywhere- pretty much 365 days of the year! Whether it's a holiday occasion, girls night out, birthdays,weddings, anniversaries, happy hr., vacations etc. That being said- this holiday season coming up is no different in regards to food for me.

I will still continue my 80% on plan & 20% off plan. I just tweak as necessary- for instance having a lighter breakfast & lighter lunch & I always continue on with my exercises daily for each occasion that ALWAYS seems to pop up!

Christmas Eve I will nosh on an ample piece of homemade pecan pie & I will probably wash it down with some boozed up eggnog- guilt free!

Maintenance is all about making decent CHOICES the majority of the time. I can't have 100% of EVERYTHING all of the time, but 80/20 is very very do-able for me!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175+/113/120

Height: 5'6"

Great ideas everyone. I especially like the "keeping busy" idea It will get harder the next week or so--I have treats to make for several different things. I think I will try and send all the treats to their intended destinations and not keep any extras!
sisypheanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I am trying JUDDD to see if this will allow me to enjoy the treats easier. It has been almost a month trying it. So far, I like the experiment. I will always measure myself and my food everyday. No isle of denial ever again.

Last edited by Karen925; 12-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Most of Christmas is at home this year. Christmas Eve is at my cousin's and I will concentrate on talking to people, rather than hanging out in the buffet room or living room, eating. I am designated driver so no booze that night.

I will have 2 glasses of wine with Christmas Day dinner and one helping of dessert. Someone will undoubtedly give me cookies and I will eat a bunch of them - my personal weakness is gingersnaps. I will atone and move on. And I will have 2 beers and one small bag of chips on New Year's Eve.

I have all of this posted on my fridge already. Plan ahead and I succeed much more frequently.

Oh and I will work out daily - yoga or weights and a walk later on in the day. And lots of gallery/museum visiting during post-Christmas week.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #11  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

this is my first 'Maintainers' post. I weighed in at target 119lb this morning and have been hereabouts for about a month i suppose.

I'm sort of worried about the Christmas break, firstly because i've recently lost weight and therefore not as entrenched in good habits as a longer term maintainer, but secondly i'll be on holiday for 4 weeks over the holidays.

Actual Christmas should be ok - i'll be with my parents in UK and they're healthy eaters and they're old now, so small portions!

28th December-13 Jan though, i'll be in US! US is scary!! We'll be eating out all the time as we're staying in hotels, and the portions there are really massive compared to here and healthy choices more difficult. So i'm a bit worried about what the damage will be. I know i don't have to eat what's on my plate, and i'll try to maintain some discipline, but the other factor is that i am on holiday, and the temptation will also be to drink alcohol in an evening every day too.

I'm not especially worried about putting on weight, but i'm more worried that it will be difficult to get back to my current habits again afterwards.

Anyone got any top tips about controlling calories when on holiday in hotels?!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange82much View Post
this is my first 'Maintainers' post. I weighed in at target 119lb this morning and have been hereabouts for about a month i suppose.

I'm sort of worried about the Christmas break, firstly because i've recently lost weight and therefore not as entrenched in good habits as a longer term maintainer, but secondly i'll be on holiday for 4 weeks over the holidays.

Actual Christmas should be ok - i'll be with my parents in UK and they're healthy eaters and they're old now, so small portions!

28th December-13 Jan though, i'll be in US! US is scary!! We'll be eating out all the time as we're staying in hotels, and the portions there are really massive compared to here and healthy choices more difficult. So i'm a bit worried about what the damage will be. I know i don't have to eat what's on my plate, and i'll try to maintain some discipline, but the other factor is that i am on holiday, and the temptation will also be to drink alcohol in an evening every day too.

I'm not especially worried about putting on weight, but i'm more worried that it will be difficult to get back to my current habits again afterwards.

Anyone got any top tips about controlling calories when on holiday in hotels?!
I would probably eat light for breakfast & lunch, walk a lot rather than take taxis, and save most of the calories for dinner & drinks.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #13  
Long-term maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I just pretend like its no different than any other season. Temptations are always there, and I always give in occasssionally, but just because it's Christmas doesn't mean I should do it more.
That's my approach too. My hubby and I always go on a hiking holiday at Christmas. We stay in self-catered accommodation so we can control our food intake - and I always return to work a little lighter and leaner.

My biggest weakness is fruit mince pies, but somehow I don't think I'll succumb this year.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange82much View Post
Where in the U.S.? Large cities have more varied options than many smaller places. I can eat well quite easily in Manhattan or Los Angeles or San Francisco, but have fewer options while traveling in rural northeastern Pennsylvania.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #15  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, I have a unique situation this year to keep me on track. Traveling to a family wedding New Years Eve. Last time my family saw me I had just reached the weight I am now so wanted to make sure I went back North at the same weight 16 months later.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote