Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default It's December!

The season of parties, goodies, stress, more goodies, and more stress. How's everyone handling it?

I'm limiting my exposure - not baking until i'm with my nephew and his family [as much as possible - i might make up some cookie dough and freeze it]. and going to small gatherings only, since there's less chance to eat and more chance to talk [at least for me].

one of my friends has invited me for latkes next week, but she says that they're very greasy and she's always trying to de-grease them. ONE [more like 1/2] will be enough for me.

what's up with you?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I have seasonal depression and though the vitamin D is helping, I still struggle. Emotional eating is a reality so I am limiting my exposure to stress as much as possible. Staying with my no drama family and friends and saying no to parties that involve anything or anyone that causes me to stress out. I need to stay focused on exercise, eating well, and the love of good people!!

Happiest of Holidays, Jiff!!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/139/152

Height: 5'5'

I have my op on the 19th so xmas is at my sisters with family and as I live next door I can go home and rest if it gets to much. I got my son a water slide so the kids will be outside all day playing with that. I hope it not going to be hard with all the food smells and mums Greek so lots of food.

Last edited by INVU; 12-08-2011 at 04:52 AM.
INVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #4  
Releasing the inner hiker

I'm staying away from the teacher's lounge. Seriously, the place is a dieter's nightmare.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 12-08-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Umm, I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I'm essentially eating what I want, when I want :P I thought with my husband having been laid off, we would eat out less frequently, but in reality, we do it just as often. I just don't have the desire or energy to cook after working all day (and work has NOT slowed down at all!), and my weekends have been busy (so no time for prepping ahead), and Jeff's culinary prowess extends no further than putting a frozen pizza in the oven! So we still eat out every night. I do bring lunch with me to work most days so I'm at least not eating out twice per day, but eating very healthy has been a struggle. I'm up to 191 on my scale (was about 185-187 when I first found out I was pregnant), so I'm not doing too badly overall, but that's a lot of gain when you take into account that I lost 12 pounds initially in my first trimester!

As for holiday food/goodies, if I need to make/bring anything anywhere, I usually do flourless peanut butter cookies (using Splenda, erythritol, or Whey Low), so it's fine if I have some.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

RECIPE, please - Jilly - they sound good - maybe they need some chocolate chips!?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #7  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

I just finished up my last rounds of doctor visits before meeting the surgeon in the spring. They were pleased with my health, everything seemed fine as far as vitals.
So now I'm not allowed caffiene (*SOB*, but decaf is 'tricking' my brain for now..), and no alcohol. No epsresso and wine for Xmas eve!
I'm drinking tons more water, by using some crystal light (1/2 of those bottle tube things), which fills me up.
I've started my prenatal vitamins and my D w/citrate.
The nurse says they'll probably call me in Feb to start my optifast.
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
RECIPE, please - Jilly - they sound good - maybe they need some chocolate chips!?
Based on the good ol' Paula Dean recipe:

1 egg
1 cup peanut butter (I've only ever used creamy, but I've heard you can use chunky if you like)
1 cup granulated sweetener (obviously, Paula uses straight up sugar)
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Combine all ingredients. Roll dough into about 1" balls, place on cookie sheet (don't have to separate them by too much, as they don't really spread while baking), and press lightly in criss-cross pattern with back of fork. Bake for about 10-12 minutes in preheated 350-degree oven. Remove from pan to rack to cool.

A few tips I've learned along the way: don't press them too hard with the fork because thin cookies can become crumbly.
Do NOT overbake - when you take them out of the oven, you should be seriously questioning if they are cooked through in the middle. When you scrape them off the pan to the cooling rack, you will think they are too soft. They will firm up as they cool. If you cook to long, they either become easily burnt underneath or become too dry and crumbly.

I have made these with added mini chocolate chips also mixed in - works great I opted for "mini" chips since I make the cookies small.

I've also done a variation where I used almond butter instead of peanut butter and then mixed in some dried cranberries - DELICIOUS, though slightly higher in carbs/sugar due to the cranberries.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

So far no issues with me but I'm still in the honeymoon stage so I am very vigilant about what I eat. I've made lots of cookies and while a little tempted have not indulged. This year my husband's family comes over on Boxing Day and I make a big dinner with 3 decadent desserts but I feel like it'll be fine. I have 2 Xmas lunches and a dinner but not eating at the dinner, just staying for like 1/2 hour then going (it is a buffet and I can eat like 1/4 cup of food so not worth it, just putting in an appearance) and for the lunches I'll order something healthy and get most of it in a doggie bag. I have some times when I kind of miss not being able to have all the treats etc but overall not a problem.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote