Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #1  

Default sleep eating/binging

Hi everyone. I think I've posted on the depression part of this forum before. Anyway, my main problem for over the last year is not just that I binge on junk all night after dinner, but that I actually get up in the middle of the night, eat alot(never cook, just eat foods that don't require cooking, but all junk) and go back to bed. I do have a memory of it. But while I'm doing it i feel like i'm in a trance, if that makes sense.

I thought it could be the lunesta I take at bedtime (but I've taken it before with no binge eating) but even without it, I still do it. I do take klonapin as well, but also have taken that before without sleep eating. I just don't get this! As it is, I'm already taking in way too many calories between dinner and bedtime,but then what I take in while I'm in a trance really does me in!

I've even tried seeing a hypnotist for this and it didn't work. Does anyone else have this? I know it is "binging" but since it's during sleep I just feel I can't prevent it.
cookfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/147/135

Height: 5'4''

I've had problems with sleep eating as well. It's especially bad when I take Nyquil for some reason. I never remembered doing it but would wake up in the morning with bowls and wrappers around or in my bed. So strange!

Although you may not have had these symptoms before on your meds, it is a common side effect. I work in a psychologist's office and do therapy/testing myself. I would talk to your doctor about these habits. Some people remember it, others are more in a trance like you said. Medication can be tweaked until these symptoms are better controlled.

I would also suggest eating dinner later, with lots of vegetables and proteins to fill up so you won't have the desire to binge.

I know it's aggravating, hope that helps a little. I've been there! It gets better!
LSUgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #3  

Thanks! I could try taking my klonapin earlier I suppose, but then I probably wouldn't sleep through the night at all, but wake up, eat,and not be able to get back to sleep. I have substituted melatonin for the lunesta but still sleep eat. I guess my only option is weaning myself from knonapin completely. I have talked to my doc about this and honestly he said he didn't know much about it. (which sounds hard to believe but true and he's supposed to be one of the better ones around)
cookfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #4  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

Try seeing a therapist. There could be much deeper reasons that you're going in the middle of the night for food... It could be psychological, or it could be physical... Sleep eating can be a symptom to certain diseases (I watch Mystery Diagnosis a lot).

At night, try tying yourself to your bed? Maybe when you wake up to go eat it will remind you to stay in bed...
Or if you live with family, buy one of those kids' alarms that beep whenever your bedroom door opens.. That could wake up your family and they could stop you.
Just some ideas.
Good luck.
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 269/184/149

Height: 5'7"

It is 100% your meds. It says it right on the label. I used to MAJORILY binge eat on ambien. Lunesta does the exact same thing, but not to the degree as ambien did. I used to wake up w/ crumbs in my mouth and bed on ambien. Now I am down to 1/2 lunesta or 1 mg and I don't do it anymore.

I also follow a food plan though too now.
Sheila7 is offline   Reply With Quote