PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #1  

Default Help to make new hair grow?

So, my hair has always been fine/thin. In the past few years, though, it's gotten even thinner (which I know several of us have experienced, unfortunately). I'm not LOSING a large amount of hair, I'm just not growing any NEW hair. Does anyone have any suggestions, or have you found anything to help stimulate new hair growth?

If only there were some way I could transplant all of these active hair follicles from my chin and cheeks to my scalp....
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #2  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Typically that signifies A vitamin deficiency somewhere. Do you take daily vitamins?
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #3  

Nope, none at all. Should I start w/a multi, or a specific vit.?

Last edited by 4myloves; 12-05-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #4  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

One thing with PCOS is our vitamins are out of whack most of the time. Its harder for us to get the needed nutrients from a balanced diet because of the hormone fluctuations. Personally I take fish oil and a prenatal to help with hair/skin/nails I also take cinnamon with chromium to help insulin resistance along wiht calcium with vitamin d for bone health and vit c for overal limmune health. I take these daily, seems like a lot but REALLY helps me. I would get a book on managing PCOS it will have lists of vitamins commonly used for PCOS/insulin resistance and then talk to your doc about the risks/benefits of each. Sometimes it is trial and error until you get it right I would defo start on fish oil and a prenatal though (prenatal is more complete for women than other ones). It takes bout 30 days to see any inkling of results (vitamins have to build up) but my hair has never been healthier and my nails actually grown and dont break easily now, I used to NEVER be able to have long mails, they were too brittle.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I second the prenatal and fish oil to start. That's just basics.

From there you can decide what else you might need and at your next lab consider what's up with bloodwork. For instance I came out low on D and B12 so that got added in.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/176/130

Height: 5"9

Have you ever heard of perhaps having a thyroid problem? (an in-active thyroid gland) I do, and am now taking medication for it, and my hair loss isn't as much now.
STARLETpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I second the vitamins and supplements. I have a good balance now, and my hair is better and my nails are stronger than ever.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #8  

Monday I started taking a "Hair, Skin & Nails" vitamin and fish oil. I'm taking them before bedtime (and one HSN in the morning), so hopefully they'll "soak in" to my body better.

My lack of hair really started to be noticable to me after I had my little girl. Like I said, it's always been really fine and on the thinner side, but after I had her, it has become practically non-existent (no new growth).

I've also started using coconut oil on my scalp to see if it might spur some new growth.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #9  

Oh, I also took "before" pictures. I'm going to start monitering this the same way I do my weight loss!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myloves View Post
Monday I started taking a "Hair, Skin & Nails" vitamin and fish oil. I'm taking them before bedtime (and one HSN in the morning), so hopefully they'll "soak in" to my body better.

My lack of hair really started to be noticable to me after I had my little girl. Like I said, it's always been really fine and on the thinner side, but after I had her, it has become practically non-existent (no new growth).

I've also started using coconut oil on my scalp to see if it might spur some new growth.
I checked my head today and, voila!, new hair!! I've been taking the vitamins since the 12th, so almost two weeks, but I've been using the coconut oil for three weeks. I hope the growth continues & gets FULLER as I continue the vitamin & coconut oil regime!

Last edited by 4myloves; 12-22-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #11  
Yo-Yo Dieter

S/C/G: 204/204/135

Height: 5'8

I just started the Hair Skin and Nails, I was already taking a prenatal etc. So now it is a mix of vitamins. I haven't noticed much of a difference yet but because of cost I will use up the bottle before moving on. The other miracle vitamin is viviscal, I haven't tried it but it is next on my list.
What I am curious is why the coconut oil? did you read something somewhere or know what it is supposed to help do?
CADreaming1 is offline   Reply With Quote