Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Default What to say when people ask about weight loss

I get uncomfortable sometimes when people ask me how much i have lost and how much more weight do you want to lose. I feel this is personal information. I would never ask someone how much they weigh, or how much weight do they think they need to lose. I dont know if i am being ultra sensitive. Unless i come right out and share the information, why do people ask this?
I will say what i have lost when asked, but then they say how much more, and i usually answer until i feel good, and they will persist. It is like they are trying to figure out how much i weighed.

Does anyone have a simple answer that stops the question?
kelly1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I haven't found a simple answer to stop them except to be slightly rude and walk away. Haha. I think they really ARE trying to find out how much I weighed/currently weigh. Which is none of their business. This always seems to come from people who are uncomfortable about how they look and I think they are trying to make themselves feel better by going "Oh, she weighed 230, I'm not THAT fat like her". All they want is to know that they weight less than you so they can still look at you and feel "better" about themselves. And that pisses me off! When I realize someone is doing that to me I stop enabling them. When they ask how I did it I'll either say something like "Dunno, just eat veggies" or say "I run 6 miles every day". Hehe. Depends on if I'm feeling like just getting away from them (first answer) or like getting into a fight (second answer). Maybe that's not the best way to handle it, but that's how I do. So if you really just want them to stop and get away from them, I would say: give them an incredibly vague answer and walk away. Say you don't weigh yourself. If they have nothing to work with they'll have to give up eventually. My biggest opponent (lol) with this is my next door neighbor who is best friends with my mom, so she's over at our house constantly. The vague answer & run away tactic works on her. Though, she has also made comments about my weight in the past so I would love to fight a bit with her...but again, mom's best friend. Can't really do that. :P
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #3  
Started IP July 8th

S/C/G: 325/210/210

Height: 5' 10"

I have a lot of people ask me how much I have lost, honestly I am pretty proud to say that I am down 79 pounds since July.
And frankly if they seem interested I tell them I am down 104 since this time last year, and they are always like WOW.

As for how much weight left, no one really asks me that, but I usually say how much I have left to go, I think most of the time people are just curious how much weight we are trying to lose to see how big a number it is.
I don't think people are really trying to do the math, I am sure a few do, but I never tell people how much I weigh at the time anyways.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, take the compliments as they come in whatever format... I am sure you were much more sensitive about telling people your weight BEFORE you started, you know your plan, you know your goals.

I too would probably just stick with the (until I finish getting healthy,etc.) type answer as well.
But men aren't as critical about their weight.

Of course I was over 300 pounds for a long time, so compared to then, I don't feel bad at all now lol.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 161/132/120

Height: 5'2

You are not alone - people are so nosey!! I give vague answers and try to change the subject unless it us a very close friend.

I am also becoming increasingly amused by the 'how did you do it' question. When I answer I eat less and exercise more they are either visibly dissappointed or react as if I have just confessed to an eating disorder. I am considering telling the next person I eat magic beans!
Michelle2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/161/150

Height: 5'2"

I know it can be hard sometimes but I can honestly say I am honest and open with anyone who ask me. I will never tell anyone how much I weigh but I will tell them how much I have lost or how much I have left. When they ask how I tell them I am on a program called Ideal Protein through my doctor and not only am I losing weight I am getting healthy. I sometimes briefly tell them about the program and tell them if they want to know more they have a wonderful website.

I am proud of what I am doing to get my health better and my weight under control and anyone who ask or needs help I am willing to tell. Everyone feels different that is just how I handle the situation. I am sure there are those people who are calculating in their head how much I weigh but for me my heaviest weight is in the past and I just keep telling myself that!!
hwmgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

I am with Wayward...I love telling them that I have lost 36 pounds and only have 9 to go!!! I love it because they are noticing and many times it is their way of complimenting!!! I also love that hwmgrl tells them that she isn't losing weight she is getting healthy!!! That is awesome!

Here is my philosophy...people know we were overweight and if telling someone that I have gotten rid of X amount of pounds or telling them about the program inspires them, then I am all for it!

I also figure they aren't trying to figure out how much I weighed prior to the plan because they already probably have a number in their head!!! Anytime that I tell anyone I was up to 175, they either seem completely shocked or not...either way...I don't care! It is my skin and I own it. There was a story for each of those pounds...as there is a story now with each one vanished!!!

Own it girlfriend!!! You work too hard not to!!!

And by the way...YOU ARE DOING AMAZING!!!!!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #7  

The only people that know how much i weighed at the start of this is all of my IPers on here. Not even my boyfriend knows, or my daughters. I guess i feel no one would really understand except you guys cause you have all been there and know what it is to struggle and gain excess weight. I just feel it is one of the society rules, you dont ask people how much they weigh. Dont get me wrong, 90% of people have been very complimentary and have said very nice things, I just dont like to share to much personal information. I do get uncomfortable when i have to imply i weighed 250 lbs!!! Maybe i havent come to terms with what i did to myself yet....
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpnme View Post
I am with Wayward...I love telling them that I have lost 36 pounds and only have 9 to go!!! I love it because they are noticing and many times it is their way of complimenting!!! I also love that hwmgrl tells them that she isn't losing weight she is getting healthy!!! That is awesome!

Here is my philosophy...people know we were overweight and if telling someone that I have gotten rid of X amount of pounds or telling them about the program inspires them, then I am all for it!

I also figure they aren't trying to figure out how much I weighed prior to the plan because they already probably have a number in their head!!! Anytime that I tell anyone I was up to 175, they either seem completely shocked or not...either way...I don't care! It is my skin and I own it. There was a story for each of those pounds...as there is a story now with each one vanished!!!

Own it girlfriend!!! You work too hard not to!!!

And by the way...YOU ARE DOING AMAZING!!!!!
Oh, and thank you for the lovely compliment!!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

If you feel like they are having fun at your expense then put them on the spot. Turn the tables and ask them "how much do YOU think I've lost?" or "How much more do YOU think I should lose?"
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/144/150

I totally agree that this is personal info. Why can't they leave it at hey you look great!
JKfromIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #11  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMolly View Post
If you feel like they are having fun at your expense then put them on the spot. Turn the tables and ask them "how much do YOU think I've lost?" or "How much more do YOU think I should lose?"
Love it! That would shut them up pretty quickly! And I bet they'd think twice about asking anyone else about how much weight they lost.

Last edited by SewingMomma; 12-05-2011 at 07:25 PM.
SewingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I don't mind saying how much I've lost so far, but I would never tell anyone what my goal weight is unless they are a best friend or family. I'm not really even sure myself what my final goal will be at this point. If anyone ask I just tell them when I get to a healthy BMI I will know.

In a couple of weeks we are flying home for the holidays and my husband and I will be getting together with three other couples for dinner one night that we have known forever. I really didn't want to say anything about IP, but one of my friends knows and she picked a fish restaurant to meet at. She thought it would be easier for my diet. It was very sweet of her, but on the other hand now everyone knows way we are eating at that particular restaurant. I love my friends, but now I'm going to get 20 million questions regarding this diet, and this group can be on the judgmental side.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #13  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

people ask me all of the time about my weight loss.... it honestly makes me a little uncomfortable because it is personal (and I don't like attention on me!) but I am proud that I have lost 75 lbs since my heaviest weight and I tell them through diet, exercise and perseverance!

No one has ever asked me what I weigh or what weight I want to get to.
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #14  
Started IP Aug 2, 2011

S/C/G: 220/147/140

Height: 5'10

I am proud of loosing 60 lbs~striving for 20 more til my goal. So when people ask I do say Ideal Protein and eating better, exercising and being outside. I know people talk about my weight loss and I feel vibes of jealousy from some. I stay positive, I am much happier, I am focused, I am achieving a goal. I am a Cancer anyways...so I do have the outer shell to help keep the negative away. Safe in my crab shell
Junetwin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I am proud to tell people that I have lost 36#. The only people who have really asked for a specific number have been really close friends and family and the people at my gym. Most people just comment on my weight loss and how did I do it.

The only people who knew I did IP were my husband and our families. I usually tell people that I cut out grains and dairy and eat more protein and veggies (all true!!!). I also exercise everyday, and I always mention that.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote