Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Phasing off for 1 day -- silly idea?

Chanukah is coming up and I love, love, love potato latkes (pancakes). We're planning on having people over for one of the nights and I'd like to partake for just one night. I am fine going to others' houses and sticking to the plan, but for just one night...

Anyway, I was thinking about phasing off properly, so that I can have that one day of indulging and then going right back on the next day.

Is this an unsound idea? I've been losing steadily and am confident I can get back on plan without any problems. I think phasing off properly rather than "cheating" and potentially making myself sick.

Thoughts?
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmom View Post
Chanukah is coming up and I love, love, love potato latkes (pancakes). We're planning on having people over for one of the nights and I'd like to partake for just one night. I am fine going to others' houses and sticking to the plan, but for just one night...

Anyway, I was thinking about phasing off properly, so that I can have that one day of indulging and then going right back on the next day.

Is this an unsound idea? I've been losing steadily and am confident I can get back on plan without any problems. I think phasing off properly rather than "cheating" and potentially making myself sick.

Thoughts?
But Chanukah will come again as sure as clockwork and you can have latkes in June or any other time of the year when you aren't on plan. I really don't think its a good idea at all. Besides, you can make cauliflower latkes.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

I would say you are doing soooo awesome and if you stick to plan this time, you can partake all you want next year!!!! That is how I looked at Thanksgiving...it wasn't easy but the food can't be what defines my holidays!

Good luck and we will all be here for you either way...just think about how much tastier the latkes will taste when you are skinny and eating them!!!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/214/150

Height: 5'0"

Try googling "low carb latkes". There are a few recipes out there. They probably won't taste like bubbie's latkes, but you can still enjoy them and serve your guests the traditional recipe.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #5  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I wouldn't. I did for Thanksgiving and ended up having to lose some regained weight that week. I did lose and extra 3, but I know it could have been 5 pounds if I had stayed on plan.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #6  

Gah -- I was expecting these answers. And I know I post something like this every couple of months. Thanks for your patience.

I like the idea of cauliflower latkes, Linden. Maybe I'll even use purple cauliflower!

Still toying with the idea of phasing off and picking up where I left off in the new year. I think our East Coast trip took so much out of me emotionally that I'm just drained.

And with that thought I think I should probably stay on program, because I clearly don't have a handle on the emotional eating, if I want to go off program in order to eat foods that are bad for me.

Does that make any sense?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #7  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmom View Post

I like the idea of cauliflower latkes, Linden. Maybe I'll even use purple cauliflower!
I've been thinking about this off and on since I posted it because, to be honest, it was an unformed suggestion. Since then I realized you could make faux apple sauce with the zucchini apple pie recipe. I've only had latkes a couple of times. Delicious! except for the ones dripping in oil. But even if you steamed the broccoli and made a thick, slightly textured puree you'd probably still need a binder. I thought of dipping them in egg whites but I think it would be better to mix in an egg white or even the whole egg. If you experiment, would you let me know? I think they could be good.

l
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I can totally relate, but truthfully I wouldn't do it - even for latkes. And I have to say I make killer latkes. We are going home for Hanukkah (back to CA) and I already told my mom that this year I just can't make them for everyone this year. Reach your goal and you can make latkes anytime of year. And of course Hanukkah will still be there next year, only a little bit earlier in Dec. I'm sure.

My mom is making brunch this year for our family Hanukkah get together and she asked me what on her menu I could eat. After she read off the entire menu to me I told her the only thing I could eat was the lox. She felt bad, but I told her not a big deal as all of that wonderful food can be made again next year. Happy Hanukkah (early)!
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Here is another thought...I have been on this program just over 3 months and have lost 36 lbs. You only have 31 left to go. Given your stats you are losing an avg of 2.5 lbs/week. If you continue, you ONLY have 12.4 weeks left and you will be AT GOAL!!! That is only 3 months...you would be DONE and on P4 by the beginning of March!!! Then you could spend all spring being a skinny, healthy girl!!! ONLY 3 MONTHS!!!! You CAN do this!!!

You have come so far...don't let your mind control you...be strong! I promise you won't regret it!!!

Hugs and prayers as you struggle with this decision!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/185/150

Height: 5'3"

try using rutabagas instead of potatoes. I just had rutabaga mash and it's really close to the flavor and texture of a potato.
auntdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #11  

I'm not on IP, but: Is this what you want? To not take part in once-a-year family celebrations because ONE night of potatoes is not on your diet?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #12  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

When Thanksgiving rolled around my coach and i talked about a planned deviation, which she does not call a cheat if its planned and limited. I was able to enjoy a piece of pumpkin pie and very thankful that I could do that and then get right back on plan and keep going. Loss that week was just under 2lbs, and I'm still going. So my suggestion, talk with your coach and see if you can devise a plan together.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #13  

Thanks, everyone. I moved to alternatives a while ago, so no coach. I may do a small deviation just for one day when we have people over, but my best friend put it in perspective for me tonight. She said, "You want to do this for a latke? Really?"

So, I don't think I'm going to phase off, but may take a taste of a few things on one night (then again I may not). I am so close to goal, I don't want to wreck things now.

Thanks for helping me think this through.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #14  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/185/150

Height: 5'3"

Don't forget that if you do have a cheat meal, you will have to go thru the 3 day cycle of ketosis starting all over again. Headaches, tired, etc and it will stop you weight loss for the 3 days and you might even gain a pound because of it.
auntdee is offline   Reply With Quote