Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #1  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Default baggy clothes

Someone told me today that I need to go clothing shopping since my pants have a droopy ***. Made me laugh, hard. I never expected this lady to comment on my weight loss, let alone be walking behind me and tell me my pants are droopy assed.

I work in a large office with 10 floors and a myriad of different departments. Apparently, I haven't seen this lady for a while. I thanked her for noticing. She asked how much, etc., and we exchanged some diet small talk. She said that come January 1st, she wants to pick my brain for some tips. Well, I'm all ears and wiling to offer some tips.

Meanwhile, until I lose 20 more its doubtful I'll be buying any new clothing. Really can't afford it and I don't mind wearing baggy pants so long as they aren't falling down.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm sort of the same right now, my clothes are too big and I'm wearing belts to hold them up, but since my weight loss aspirations are much greater than my current weight loss I plan to continue wearing these clothes until I no longer can or until I hit goal weight. I do have some old clothes in various in-between sizes that I can dip into to get me through some of it. My job is super casual so that doesn't matter. I work for a husband/wife out of their home and they wouldn't care if I showed up in pajamas.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #3  

I know what you mean. During my weight loss, I tried to find really good deals at TJ Maxx and Marshalls to get me by. Fortunately, though, I had kept many of my old "skinny" clothes, so that helped!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes you get so used to the fit of the baggy clothes that you don't realize that it's time for a new size.

Luckily I have my mother to tell it to me straight when I need to go down a size

In the summer when I was first starting to lose weight I got a lot of my mother's old clothes because she was about two sizes smaller than me. I really needed them because some of my shorts and capris were falling down. I also luckily had Torrid shorts that I bought on clearance back in January that had been too tight on me. I wore those all summer and by the end they were falling down!

I was also able to wear some of my middle school summer clothes, but that was the extent of my "skinny" clothes.

I've just been shopping sales and clearance and buying a thing or two here and there to get me by (like I LITERALLY had no work clothes because my other ones were 14/16s) because after a while I had passed my mom by in sizes.

I've given her a lot of my clothes because she recently went down a size so it's been a big clothing swap.

I really think I'm going to stop soon so I can probably start buying clothes again!

Last edited by sontaikle; 11-30-2011 at 09:09 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I bought a new pair of jeans at Target when my other pairs got too baggy. I felt like I looked worse, weighing less but wearing the same clothes. So maybe you should grab a cheap pair or 2? lin43 is right, TJ Maxx and Marshals (and Ross) have good deals.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

I have the same problem. I kept a lot of my "skinny" clothes too; having 2 new-ish pairs of jeans to wear is awesome. But my work pants are huge on me. Sigh. Who wants to spend $$ on those, especially when I still plan on losing more weight?
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

my clothes have been bagging for like the last 30-40 lbs. when i lose another 16lbs-21lbs i will be getting a new mini wardrobe, 8 tops and 4 bottoms. i wouldnt normally do it but at that point ill have dropped from a size 24/26 to a size 14 sooo yea. i dont have a choice really :P hopefully they will last a while before belts are once again useless
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #8  

As soon as my clothes get baggy I either toss them out or give them away.
I have a lot of smaller clothes stored away in boxes.

Healthy discontent is the prelude to progress.
~ Mohandas Gandhi ~
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #9  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

When I first started I would get rid of clothes when they got too big. I'd go to Goodwill and get a couple peices to carry me a couple sizes. Then I stopped doing that and it made me less strict about my plan. A couple weeks ago a coworker told me something similar. I went through my closet and started pulling out things that are too big. I have gone back to doing that because I can find some really nice things at the one near my house. I wash them, press them and no one is the wiser unless I say something. I like Goodwill because I'm not going to spend over $5 for any one item and I know it will be getting too big for me and I give them back. I tell my friends that I am renting clothes from Goodwill. I buy them and give them back when they get too big. If I'm looking for a skirt or dress which I rarely am...I go to Ross because you can pick up some really cute dresses for less than $20. Unless you are the designer type then it'll cost you $40. You can also check some consignment shops for some nice things as well. I will even buy a size smaller than I wear or the size I want to wear off season because you can get those on clearance racks and work to get in them. That is the coolest thing because when the season comes around again and it fits...I go nuts. If it doesn't then I know I have work to do.

It's very motivating buying smaller clothes because it helps you see how well you're doing.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #10  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
come January 1st, she wants to pick my brain for some tips.
It blows my mind that people only want to start then to make a new start. Beginning of a new year.
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Old Navy has cheap, professional "disposable" clothes. You can get pants there for like $15.

I wonder what that woman will be doing between now and January 1...
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodymist View Post
It blows my mind that people only want to start then to make a new start. Beginning of a new year.
I have a friend that says she will start dieting in January.
She wants to have a thin body, but not as much as she wants to over-eat all December long.

She is going to a lot of holiday parties and plans on some serious over-stuffing.
She "can't pass up all that free food", as she calls it.

And she is advising me not to throw out my baggy clothes. She says I will need them when I regain all my weight back.

Shopping, oh it is all so shiny and new to fit in little sizes!

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

lol i have many friends that try the start on january 1st or 2nd thing. they never get anywhere. i had one of my friends tell me shes cutting out donuts so thats enough -while pigging out on numerous handfulls of chocolate and sugar she got from the new candy store downtown. some ppl just don't make sense. she says she will cut out chocolate and candy on january 2nd as well but she will do the same thing she did for donuts-replace it with something else full of fat and calories. shes done it every year for the 10 yrs ive known her :P not to get down on anyone, but its a trend i notice among alot of january dieters. really i think its that they dont even want to lose weight but maybe feel pressured to by society for being larger so they say they will try but they dont really want to? they are just going with what they think they are supposed to do? just a theory not saying i think it applies to all the january new years dieters.

i hate to spend money on new clothes while losing weight but yea it gets to a point where you have to. unless you only have like 50 lbs to lose. me im trying to go from 335 to 150, im 276 now and my clothes are useless. in 15-20lbs they wont be useable. im still too big to have any hope of finding clothes at cheaper stores or goodwill here, ive looked before. plus its all 80s and 90s clothes and im too much of a diva to wear something i dont like.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #14  

Even when I was obese (technically, I fit that moniker), I always hated the hoopla about fitness and dieting that inevitably appeared Jan. 2. I guess I just hate the drama of it. I suppose I was like that at one point . . .
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

I used to have a friend who worked at an in-patient drug rehab clinic. He said that people would come and check out the facility and they would get all excited about it and say they were going to come back and check themselves in after they just had one final drink/dose/whatever. He said he always told them, "Do what you want to do, but if you want to have one more, I'm telling you right now, you're not ready to get clean yet." He said they almost never came back (not because of what he said, but because they really weren't ready). I think that's kind of the same with some of these Jan. 1 dieters. It was for me, at least, all those times I thought I might as well wait till Jan 1 to start.
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote