Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Favorite *healthy* sweet potato recipe?

So, sweet potatoes were on sale for 25 cents/lb at the grocery last weekend and I bought a ton. Some are going into a couple not-so-healthy thanksgiving side dishes, but I need to figure out what to do with the rest.

I love plain baked or roasted sweet potatoes, but I have so many of them that I think that will get boring after a day or two. So maintainers, I ask you: what is your favorite healthy sweet potato recipe?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Jessica go t
recipegoldmine.com you will find many recipes for sweet potatoes or go to
totalrecipesearch.com
You should be able to find more seet potato recipes than you can ever use.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #3  
Workin' It

I loved Megan's sweet potato & apple bake, but I can't remember what I put in it. It is in one of the Thanksgiving discussions from two years ago I think? I need to find it myself pretty quickly.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Sweet potato fries! Just slice them up and sprinkle a little seasoning of your choice on top, then put them on a cookie sheet in the oven and bake away.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

1) My go-to is Gypsy Soup, from the old Moosewood cookbook. You combine sweet potatoes with a green vegetable and tomatoes and a fascinating seasoning mix. Here's someone on a blog giving the recipe and discussing the cookbook.

http://cooking-books.blogspot.com/20...ypsy-soup.html

3) I just made this Whole Foods website recipe for curried mustard greens and garbanzo beans on sweet potatoes a couple months ago. It's really excellent. The sweet potatoes are sliced thin, cooked, mashed & serve as a bedding for the other ingredients.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=41

The idea of using sweet potatoes as bedding for something savory on top has stayed with me & I hope to try that again.

3) Making sweet potato salad is on my to-do list. I'm intrigued by the idea of eating them cold, since I know a cold baked sweet potato tastes great. Here's a recipe for it, which I am not going to call healthy, but I've begun with worse & eventually tweaked the recipe to work according to my way of eating.

http://projects.eveningedge.com/reci...-potato-salad/
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #6  

Slice thin, bake. Salt when out of the oven.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #7  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

http://www.marthastewart.com/314092/...-center-turkey
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #8  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Someone posted a recipe similar to this the other day:
Sweet potato hash with bacon:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...h-Bacon-240273

It had celery instead of red peppers, but I think both sound good. I haven't tried it yet, but bought sweet potatoes just for the purpose; I'll be using facon (veggie, fake bacon) instead of real bacon.

Last edited by Beck; 11-23-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #9  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I loved Megan's sweet potato & apple bake, but I can't remember what I put in it. It is in one of the Thanksgiving discussions from two years ago I think? I need to find it myself pretty quickly.
It is posted on page 6 of the recipes sticky at the top of this forum, but I've also copied and pasted it below. A double batch is sitting in the fridge all put together and waiting to be baked off tomorrow. When I make it for just myself I eliminate the butter, minimize the sugar, and sometimes leave some skins on apples and potatoes, but for the civilized folk I make it closer to the original recipe. I do recommend baking the sweet potatoes in the oven rather than microwaving. Their flavor is much sweeter.

Sweet Potato Apple Bake

4 microwaved sweet potatoes
1 cup sliced tart apples (Granny Smith work well)
1/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Original recipe calls for 1 teaspoon salt - I tried this once and it was gross, but add some if you want.

Peel and slice potatoes. Place layer in greased baking dish,
cover with 1/2 the other ingredients, continue layers and finish with
potato slices and few dots butter or margarine.
Bake, covered, in 375 F oven 30 minutes; uncover, and continue cooking
until apples are perfectly tender and top potatoes nicely browned.
Serves 4.
Note: with apples that have little juice it may be advisable to add 2
tablespoons water before baking.

Sweet potato fries or roasted cubes (sometimes roasted alone, sometimes roasted with other root veg) are also my go-to favorites. Saef's Gypsy soup sounds very interesting, too!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Sweet Potato fries

Peel sweet potatoes if you want (I don't. I just wash them well and scrub them with a vegetable brush)

Slice sweet potatoes into fries (thin or thick, doesn't matter - it will just change the cooking time. I like to cut them "steak fry" or "wedges" style).

Toss the cut potatoes in a bag or sealable bowl with a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil (I like canola).

Add seasoning (any you like) Ranch dressing mix powder (like a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch) makes a good seasoning (but so does Lawry's seasoned salt, or a simple shaking of salt/pepper/garlic powder).

Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees. The time really depends on how thinly you sliced your fries, and how crispy/carmelized you like them. I start checking at 20 minutes, and then every 5 minutes after that. I use a spatual to toss them when I check on them, and I start "testing" them (taste testing of course) when they start to look right.

It can take up to 45 minutes or longer if they're cut really thick, or if the sweet potato is really dense (it seems that some varieties cook faster than others. It seems to me that the denser the potato - that is, the harder the potato is to cut- the longer it seems to take to cook).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205-135 Maintaining since '10

Height: 5'1

sweet potato brown rice pudding! I add raisins and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin whatever you have!)....This makes an awesome hot breakfast. Good cold too!

go to healthyfoodforliving.com for under her recipe index for the recipe
nads84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the tips everyone! Lots of great ideas in here!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote