PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/256/180

Height: 5'6

Default Pattern to hunger

Hi,

Wondered if anyone else found they were REALLY hungry in the evening. I am finding that my appetite is non existent in the morning, is normal until about 7pm and after that quite frankly I could eat a mangy horse.

I'm on metformin, and i exercise 4 days a week usually before 11am.

Any ideas?

Hx
treowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Maybe you need to eat more of your calories later in the day?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #3  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Yeah I have this, and weirdly enough the only way to control my evening hunger pangs is to eat more in the morning! If I eat breakfast then my cravings are usually OK, maybe give it ago!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I am this way too. I never ate breakfast for the longest time and finally started now. I have to force myself to eat in the morning and have to struggle to keep in down. But around late afternoon, I am so ravenous that I end up begging my husband to simultaneously take me to a buffet and then not to listen to me.. much to his amusement.

But as Blondie said, I tend to eat less if I ate well for breakfast and lunch. However I will end up eating a ton if I didn't eat enough during the day.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4''

I am a late eater regardless of breakfast so instead of eating a larger breakfast and blowing through my calories at night, I eat a small breakfast to accomodate. It works for me.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/180/159

Height: 5'4"

I get soo hungry at night! Not just that, but I'm most likely to binge after 8pm. I am not sure if it's that I need more calories. I am gonna try going to bed earlier to see if that helps.
skinnyinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 315/302/150

I absolutely get hungry late at night. It's a cycle, being the worst during PMS but the best (i.e. almost no late-night hunger) right after my cycle has ended. It's been this way since I was 13 and my periods began, and I don't think I had insulin resistance back then.

I've tried all kinds of tricks from taking my 2nd dose of metformin earlier to eating more when I first get up to trying to eat only fiber/roughage during the nighttime hunger. If I just push through it and eat a couple crackers right before bed so I can get to sleep, I can't sleep more than 5 hours before hunger forces me awake. If I wake up that hungry, I am hungry all day regardless of what I consume. Back in college I would often eat an entire small Pizza Hut supreme pizza myself because it was the only thing that finally got the hunger pangs to stop.

As I said, I try to push through it but with IR it's difficult. I get shaky and nauseous and ridiculously tired.

So far I have no solutions to the hunger problem at night except to try to have good foods in the house so I don't binge on horrible food like I did when I was younger.
stranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I try to have a protein heavy breakast.

Then I plan to have later meal/snack after dinner.

So I end up eating 4x-5x a day.

Rather than fight it, I work with it and just watch the calorie load.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie160 View Post
Yeah I have this, and weirdly enough the only way to control my evening hunger pangs is to eat more in the morning! If I eat breakfast then my cravings are usually OK, maybe give it ago!
Me too. I am not hungry in the morning. But if I dont eat breakfast, I will very hungry at evening.

So I will eat breakfast even I am not hunger.
nosucs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/158/150

Height: 5'7

I don't eat breakfast. I have my first meal somewhere between 2 and 4 pm, sometimes as late as 5 or 6 because I honestly don't get hungry during the day. Never have. Even as a kid, I couldn't eat breakfast. I'd throw up when I tried. So I figured why fight my body's natural hunger patterns? I eat a smaller meal around 6 or 7, and then dinner can be anywhere from 10 to midnight, sometimes later. It works just fine for me . . . maybe just try pushing your meal schedule a little later into the day, or just eat a lighter breakfast and lunch and save the majority of your calories for dinner. Everyone is different, so it might be worth it to take some time and figure out what works best for you!
slytherinanachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 224/224/150

Height: 5'7

This absolutely happens to me! I wake up hungry, have a normal breakfast, light lunch, normal supper, and some snacks, and later in the evening I am starving!
My husband says I am always hungry. :P and that is pretty much true, at least in the evenings.
I have to eat a decent sized snack at night too or else I can't get to sleep from the hunger; or it wakes me up in the middle of the night - ugh.

I had no idea others had this same problem! Is this an insulin related thing then? Might I be insulin resistant?
eyesontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 309/309/167

Height: 5"3'

I have found that those cravings come alot and most the time it's if I haven't had at least 25% of my calories from protein. So when those hunger pains come I have a high protein snack and that usually takes the edge off.
hotsexylaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #13  

I find that if I eat a sugar free Jello or Popsicle at night, it completely curbs the "hunger". I've been on South beach for almost a week now and getting over the cravings. I also keep tons of food on my desk during the day...things like celery, nuts, chicken bites, cheese cubes. Guess as long as I see food all day I don't get so hungry. Weird. Hope you find something that helps!
turboturtle80 is offline   Reply With Quote