Old 11-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #1  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Getting used to maintenance calories?

I'm inching closer to my goal—whatever it is. Once I hit the 130s I'm sort of taking my loss one pound at a time. I'm large-framed and already have bones and such sticking out so I assume I don't have much more to lose

In preparation for this, I've slowly been trying to up my calories. I know this will make my weight loss slower, but I don't want to just jump into maintenance the moment I hit my goal. The problem is I'm so used to eating 1200 calories a day and smaller meals that I simply get full so quickly now.

Did anyone else have issue with upping their calories? I don't want to stuff myself anymore, but I know I can't sustain myself on 1200-1300 calories a day! I figure I'm going to need 1600-1700 to maintain, but I know I'll have to experiment a bit with that.

I want to try adding snacks, or perhaps adding 50-100 cals to each meal slowly as time progresses. Not really sure what to do though

Last edited by sontaikle; 11-09-2011 at 08:56 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I didn't really up my calories, I added an occasional treat or maybe larger portions, but I found maintenance is a lot like losing. The same principles still apply. I still count calories, still plan my meals, still keep a food log.
You will just have to experiment to see what works best for you.
I found that I just can't eat large meals anymore. I am full on less food. I can have piece of pie now and then, though.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #3  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

omg your doing amazing. i think you'll be just fine darling. : )
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

bargoo - I'm still planning to just do what I'm doing now, except with more calories, but like you I get full on such a small amount now. I like the idea of adding the occasional treat though, since I'll probably have more room for those now if my calorie count is a little higher.

I don't think I can just "turn off" everything I'm doing now. It's sort of ingrained in my head

jessica - thank you!

Last edited by sontaikle; 11-09-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I've wondered this too. I'm doing more intuitive eating on a loose exchange plan (it works out to about 1400-1800 calories/day). I figure I'll problem just maybe have an extra day a week we go out or maybe consistently add in a small dessert every day (whereas now it's just once or twice a week). I have a hard time imagining eating more real food because I feel pretty full at the moment too.

Good luck hitting maintenance soon, I can't wait to be joining you there.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Then maybe think about calorie dense food like nuts, nut butters and maybe start using real butter if you are not already or add a bit olive oil to your dishes/veggies. That way you don't have to stuff yourself. Just a thought.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #7  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Your idea of upping the calories slowly is good. As to what to have, you can "treat" yourself to full fat/full calorie items if you've been going skim or sugar-substitute. Not that I'm at maintenance, but for me now, an occasional iced coffee with cream is a luxury, as opposed to a skim latte. Those diet substitutions are so easy to make without really noticing the difference, its just as easy to reverse it and have full fat cheeses, regular fruited yogurts rather than blended light versions...that sort of thing. Heartier "regular" bread. The occasional high calorie "fruity" alcoholic beverage if you drink (think pina colada?? I know...I'm dating my old self...lol). Perhaps indulge in the occasional fried chicken, dessert, or what not.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions!! I'm still trying to figure out how to get these extra calories back in. I failed yesterday but today is a new day!

runningfromfat - you'll be here soon enough! And I'm having a bit of issue eating more food too. I tried yesterday to eat 1400 calories and failed miserably...because I forgot to eat the snack I planned! I just wasn't hungry so I didn't eat it. I couldn't eat more at lunch and dinner because I was full. I guess it's best I practice now so I don't keep losing weight when I want to stop.

amandie - I actually cut out butter entirely, so even just adding the lower-calorie stuff should add some in. I really like the idea of adding nuts as a snack. I seem to forget about them too much but it does seem like a nice way to get those extra calories in without going nuts (omg...pun...totally not intended!)!

124chicksinger - I like the idea of occasional treats Although besides my diet hot chocolate, I haven't really been eating "diet" things. To up myself whenever I was a bit too low (say at 1000 or 1100) I would sometimes have a Godiva truffle...I keep them around for such an occasion. Perhaps a square or two here and there might help

Last edited by sontaikle; 11-10-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/186.5/140

son, congratulations on your weight loss. What a success! I'm an inch taller than you (5'4"), and I've lost my first 10 pounds simply lowering calories. 40 more to go. We know it works!

I once read that maintenance is not all that different than what you do to lose weight; only you get a bit more to eat. I think if you slowly up your calories, you can't go wrong.

I know that what I do now, I'll have to do for the rest of my life. Once I lose this weight, it ain't coming back. Congratulations! You are a real inspiration!
gladsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #10  

opps, I meant to say that being 5'4" means I can probably maintain at 1800 calories. So your goal seems spot-on.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Height: 5'5"

I still have @15- 20 lbs to lose but over the last 2 months I've slowed my loss to 5 lbs as opposed to the first 20 which I lost in 2 months. My problem doesn't seem to be losing, maintaining is the huge struggle...I never truly felt comfortable or had a plan in my maintenance to stay there. At least this time I recognize my problem. I need to break the cycle that I get into of I'm either losing or gaining, I have trouble living in the middle apparently. According the charts @1850-1900 is the happy medium. I'm going to learn to live there for a week and see if I can break some nasty habits. Its time to learn something new.
sumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #12  

Well, I ate a somewhat higher calorie level even while losing (1400), but during the past few weeks, I've been eating at what would be maintenance for a goal weight that would be good for me (140). I figure, why shouldn't I just eat at the level where I ultimately will be eating for the rest of my life? I'm in no hurry. So, I've been averaging 1700 calories per day. I wish I had your problem of not knowing what to eat to up those calories! I can always find something

It doesn't take all that much to add calories to your diet---a couple of tablespoons of half-and-half in the a.m. (40), a bit more oil to broil my chicken with, a few ginger snaps at night to go along with my espresso. Things like that add up quickly. Initially, plan out your meals so that you get the appropriate amount of calories.

One word of warning: When I first started eating at my maintenance level, I went a little hog wild with the treats. That backfired. I had to backtrack and get under control again. Don't be surprised if an increase in calories causes that reaction.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #13  
Leveling Up

So over the course of a few days I've failed miserably in upping my calorie count. Yesterday I did eat about 1500 calories, but I felt sick afterwards. I sort of added it on as an extra snack at the end of the day, and that didn't quite work...

I think I'm going to have to eat high-calorie foods so that I'm not eating more necessarily....just more calories.

This is difficult. Thank goodness I'm getting this out of the way now. Hopefully I can work everything out by the time I need to maintain.

Rewind to last year and I never would have dreamed I'd be struggling to add more food to my diet!

gladsome - Thanks for the words of support and good luck on your weight loss You can do it!

sumu1 - This is my first time around and maintenance has me scared! I can lose; I know how to do that but I'm not sure how to maintain! Good luck finding that formula that works for you

lin43 - I'm going to have to do a little adding here and there like you suggested. Trying to add in extra snacks fails miserably for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #14  

lin, you are doing Eucalorics! That's from the Calorie Queens book on eating your maintenance calories NOW while you are losing. I'm doing that too. It's working.

son, thanks for your kind words.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #15  

Gladsome---yes, that's what I'm doing! Are you the one who suggested that to me? (I remember reading it on here, but I can't remember who suggested it---thanks! if it was you).

It's interesting, but even before I learned about that system, I had long thought that it just makes common sense to eat at the calorie level that I will be eating for the rest of my life. I think it works best for someone like me who is in no big hurry to lose weight. In fact, to be honest, I would be perfectly happy where I'm at now. If I lose more, great, and if I don't, great. It's so liberating to be in this position. I just hope I can keep this mindset.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote