Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #1  

Default Natural Weight Loss Supplements?

Hey Everyone -

I'm new here, but I need advice. I was recently reading Women's World Magazine where they outline pAGG Supplement.

I was curious if these natural pills worked for anyone? I'm trying to lose ~50 lbs over the next 6 months for my daughters wedding but don't want to waste time on diets or diet pills that have no results.

All natural usually imply I can get it by just eating regular food - is that true?

Thanks,
Jane

Last edited by CyndiM; 11-06-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Jane68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

No supplements are needed unless you're a vegetarian and then you'll need to supplement vitamin B.

There are no pills that live up to their claims and many can be dangerous to those with high blood pressure.

The only supplements I find USEFUL (not necessary) are protein powder, fish oil pills, and occasionally a multi-vitamin.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #3  
it's always something

I agree with John.

In my opinion, the vast majority of the diet advice given in Women's World magazine is completely bogus and sometimes it's dangerous. Their articles are not well researched and their journalists are usually not health experts. They check google for the latest fads because fads sell magazines. I'm basing my opinion on direct communication with their journalists because they used to contact us quite frequently for help.

Take everything you read in WW and their sister magazines with a grain of salt.

Regarding the supplement in question, it was made famous by an internet marketer who relied on the blogosphere to promote his book and his claims. He basically did a lot of crazy things at one time using his own body as a guinea pig and he lost weight, therefore he credited everything he did for the loss instead of considering maybe it was simply reduced calories that caused the weight loss - the crazy stunts (ice baths etc) had little to nothing to do with it. Keep in mind that the goal all along was to come up with a gimmick to sell a lot of copies. Since his book sold a lot of copies (again a big thank you to the blogosphere that he encouraged as an internet marketer) so a company bottled the supplements together and cashed in.

It's basically Alpha Lipoic Acid, green tea, garlic, and biotin. You can buy them individually much cheaper than in the fancy label with the endorsement. There's nothing in there that will hurt you. But it's not likely to help either. Right now, supplement makers can make any claims they want and they don't have to prove it, and there are some doozies on their website. The law is going to change soon and supplement makers will have to actually back up their claims with scientific evidence. I look forward to seeing a lot of websites and packages rewrite their promotional materials!

When people follow crazy diet plans they are automatically paying closer attention to what they are eating and will probably eat less, even if subconsciously. It's almost a placebo effect. Forget the gimmicks and just eat less and move more

As you can tell I'm not a fan of WW magazine or the book that promoted this supplement
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote