Old 11-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #1  
3rd time's a CHARM

S/C/G: 274/259/210

Height: 5'7

Question Suggestions for meal replacement SHAKES?

Hey guys,

I don't know where to start in the 'shakes' department. Im looking for something quick, easy, keeps me full, and has 300 cals or under for my breakfast.

Right now I eat a nutribar (260cal) for breakfast during the work week and it keeps me satisfied until lunch time.

Do I just buy protein powder and mix it? I'm not sure where to start! Any help would be appreciated. Just looking for something different in the morning.
chunksoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do like smoothies, but I've never been impressed with any of ready-to-drink or flavored protein shake mixes, so I like to use plain whey protein or whey protein isolate, and mix my own.

Personal blenders like the Rocket and the Bullet are great for all types smoothies (where the lid of the cup holds the blade, and you blend the shake right in the cup you're going to drink from), and they're easier to clean than a traditional blender.

I don't do fruit-only smoothies as a meal, because without fat or protein, they don't satisfy me for long. I usually use skim milk, almond milk, yogurt or greek yogurt as my base, and then add the whey protein and fruit.

If I use greek yogurt in a smoothie, I don't always use the whey protein, because greek yogurt is fairly high in protein on it's own.

Because I follow an exchange plan, most of my smoothies and shakes follow this formula

1 dairy exchanage (80 - 90 calories) - such as skim milk (1 cup) yogurt (6 oz), or no sugar added vanilla ice cream (making sure it's under 100 calories per serving - and I only use one serving).

1 - 2 fruit exchange (60 - 140 calories) such as 1 cup strawberries or 1/2 banana
I usually use frozen fruit. So I buy frozen fruit, and I freeze my own bananas, cutting them into 1" chunks.

1-2 protein exchanges (50 - 110 calories) 1/2 oz of whey protein = 1 protein

so the calorie (and exchange) count can vary by the ingredients but ranges from 190 - 340.

I also like making a 70-80 calorie "frozen strawberry daquiri" that is just frozen strawberries, diet citrus soda, Crysal Light lemonade or sparking water, and sometimes a bit of Splenda (if I'm using diet soda or Crystal Light, the sweetener in them is enough).

It doesn't make a very good meal replacement though because it's too low in calories and all the calories are coming from sugars, so it's not very filling.

If I don't use frozen fruit, I'll add a couple of ice cubes, and if I use all "solids" I might add a little water or club soda so it will blend better (without added liquid frozen fruit, protein and greek yogurt don't make a shake so much as an ice cream).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I agree with kaplods.

A blender is definitely necessary for any protein shake, it really improves the flavor. I'd do a more natural shake if I were you - like whey or hemp. Then I'd add in a banana and some ice.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

You want to try and look for casein protein powder, or a blend of casein and whey. Whey protein on it's own tends to digest quickly, that's why people drink it after their workout so it can digest quickly and go to the muscles just worked out. It won't leave you full for long on it's own... you could add some fat to the whey though, like a little peanut butter or some nuts to help it not digest so quickly and keep you fuller a little longer.

one breakfast I have quite often is oatmeal, whey protein powder and a tablespoon of peanut butter all mixed in... it keeps me full for a few hours!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote