Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Ways to cheer up without food?

So I have been trying and failing, very consistently, for a few weeks to actually get started on a diet plan again. My boyfriend recently broke up with me, and more or less what happens is I start trying, I get sad, I eat something and feel better, but then I've already gone pretty far off plan. Obviously, as effective a coping mechanism as eating is, it needs to be replaced.

So I thought I'd ask you guys: what are your favorite things to do to cheer up / ways to calm down from a bout of crazy "OH GOD EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER" style-thinking quickly?
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #2  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

After my ex-boyfriend dumped me, I started to excercise like crazy! I took out all my frustrations in the workouts.

Try having a workout, I'm sure you will feel much better after it!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Like melodymist, said: Exercise! I always feel so pumped and awesome after a great workout. To stave off the desire to eat after that, I drink lots of water
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Quilting! Funnily enough, I took it up when on a temporary relationship break. It is creative, therapeutic, enormous fun, produces beautiful results whether you're a beginner or an expert, and you can't eat when your hands are busy sewing.

Last edited by Esofia; 11-03-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #5  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Sadly, as good as I may feel WHILE I'm working out, I usually end up with a bloodsugar crash afterwards that makes me an unfortunate mix of cranky and sleepy. But I HAVE been considering taking up knitting . . .
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Well, feed the blood sugar crash by eating something right afterwards, that is protein -- it can be a greek yogurt, beef jerky, dinner, whatever.

But don't get into the carb/sugar cycle of feeding your blood sugar crash with a candy bar that leads to the ice cream that leads to the chips.

Exercise for me is also the answer. I also read women's magazines, which are my guilty pleasure, I clean my house (when my house is organized I feel better AND productive), you can take a bath or get yourself a massage.

Food isn't going to make you feel better. Food is just away of suppressing your real emotions.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

I pop a movie in, and crochet, but anything that keeps your hands busy is good. Cross-stitch, sewing by hand, what the others have said.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260

Height: 6'4"

I built a garden, it is amazing how throwing a lot of dirt around gain relax you. Visiting friends, do social outings to treat yourself. Go to a museum, move. Treat yourself with the money that you would be paying someone to gain weight. Picture yourself healthy and happy.
AndrewCribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #9  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Exercise, crochet, call a friend, play with my puppy dogs and/or my fish
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #10  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

Honestly? Dance. I pop my iPod in and shake my *** while I do my chores and stuff. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy but who cares!
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Get your hair done. Or maybe your nails. Do something to make yourself feel good - both of those things help me.

I also really enjoy baking. Unfortunately it usually means I eat it. But sometimes I bake and take it to work the next day. I still eat some but at least my co-workers take care of the rest.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #12  
Just another girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaHoarder View Post

So I thought I'd ask you guys: what are your favorite things to do to cheer up / ways to calm down from a bout of crazy "OH GOD EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER" style-thinking quickly?
Because it is November (and Canadian thanksgiving is long gone from back in October), I put up my Christmas decorations to bring me some cheer. I know for most people this is TOTALLY taboo But for me it is a huge pick-me-up during this time of the year.

So I have my tree up and even some lights and decorations, and every time I walk into my living room now, I get a burst of cheer.

I love it. I never get sick of it either.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Because it is November (and Canadian thanksgiving is long gone from back in October), I put up my Christmas decorations to bring me some cheer. I know for most people this is TOTALLY taboo But for me it is a huge pick-me-up during this time of the year.

So I have my tree up and even some lights and decorations, and every time I walk into my living room now, I get a burst of cheer.

I love it. I never get sick of it either.
OHHH great idea! My fiancé won't let me put mine up yet but my Christmas decorations and tree always make me smile. I love just sitting in the dark with the tree all light up.

Where in BC you from Raine? I am on the island.

Last edited by sotypical; 11-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #14  
Just another girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
OHHH great idea! My fiancé won't let me put mine up yet but my Christmas decorations and tree always make me smile. I love just sitting in the dark with the tree all light up.

Where in BC you from Raine? I am on the island.
I live in Burnaby, but work in downtown Vancouver.

I grew up with a mom who put the decorations up at the crack of Halloween-is-over, haha. I inherited that. Luckily my husband doesn't mind! This year I'm happy to have it up early so that the dogs can become accustomed to it and hopefully be done with trying to eat it long before December, haha -- this is our first Christmas with our pups!

Which reminds me of something else that cheers me up.. walking my dogs It's fun and it's even exercise. Pets are an extreme source of joy for me. If I'm sad, I just go find one of my three pets.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #15  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Which reminds me of something else that cheers me up.. walking my dogs It's fun and it's even exercise. Pets are an extreme source of joy for me. If I'm sad, I just go find one of my three pets.
I was going to suggest a pet - but I know it is not an option for everyone. My dog is my LIFE. It doesn't matter how down I am, sick or upset - one little look from her and all my problems disappear. I never thought having a pet of my own would be like this. I had dogs growing up but it wasn't the same.

If it is an option and you enjoy pets - I suggest everyone should have one, they are amazing at making you feel better.

Dogs are a good motivation for exercise too. Mine loves to lay on the couch with me but if I ask her if she wants to go for a walk, she dances and gets so excited and squeaks. It makes me so happy taking her for a walk just knowing how much she enjoys it.