Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 133/133/120

Height: 5'4"

Default New Medifast gal here

Hello,
My name is Sue and I am on day 3. Wow - I did not expect the food to be good but so far everything tastes a little chalky and a little the same to me. My health coach said that it may take a week or more before my taste buds adjust. Did any of you have trouble with the taste of the foods and then find that they got better? I sure hope so. I am not looking forward to months of this. The good news is that I feel good and I am not at all hungry. So, those are big deals and I am willing to keep trying because I like this part of the diet. So far, I like the chicken and wild rice soups and I can tolerate the shakes and bars but the pancakes, oatmeal and soft serve just taste gross to me. Any suggestions?
Smiles,
Sue
suzieqmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey suzieqmo! Yes, the foods really do taste better as you stay with the program. Also, it's possible to add some allowed condiments to them to improve the taste. You have the list of condiments, yes? If not, ask your coach.

You'll find there are some Medifast meals that you just won't ever like, and others that will become favorites. The nice thing is that you can eat any Medifast meal when it's time for a meal--so if you want to have a Medifast brownie for breakfast, you can! And if you want to eat brownies more than once a day, you can!

I like to make sure that my lean & green meal has a lot of variety. That really helps. Be sure you don't try to skimp on the lean & green--measure the ounces of lean and the cups of green. This is really important, IMO.

Good luck!

Jay

Oh, and P.S. Given your start weight, I doubt you'll be on the losing part of Medifast for "months"!

Last edited by JayEll; 11-02-2011 at 01:08 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133/133/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Jay,
I am hoping to lose the 13 pounds fairly quickly but my real goal is to learn to eat healthier. My weight has gradually climbed over the past 20 years and I have used ww to lose anywhere from 10 - 15lbs several times in the past. But lately, I have been concerned about just being unhealthy in general and I realize that what I eat is addicting and probably toxic. I am trying not to eat aspartame or hydrogenated oils. So, I am using Medifast to detox my body, reach my goal weight and kick start myself to eat healthy foods. Thanks so much for the encouragement about the taste of the food. I had tomato soup for lunch and add a very slight sprinkle of Parmesan and 2 teaspoons of salsa. It was good.
suzieqmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #4  

Hi Sue!

From day 1, I kinda liked most of the foods. Although for about the first week or 2, I thought some of the foods (like the oatmeal, esp) had a bad smell and aftertaste. But, now I don't notice any aftertaste or pay attention to the smell. So there is hope! Also, there is so much variety, I think most people are able to find a handful of things that they do enjoy (or learn to enjoy).

I don't look at Medifast so much as a "detox" but more as a reset. Its resetting my tastebuds and cravings and working to get my body off of its carb addition.

Good luck!!
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi suzieqmo!

Your tastebuds will adjust in a couple weeks, so don't give up on the pancakes and oatmeal. My favorite easy additions are cocoa powder, extracts, and cinnamon. They can make a big difference in the taste. If you need a little more sweetness, add a tiny bit of splenda or stevia.

You can make the soft serve as a shake, or make a shake hot. Oatmeal can be a pancake, and you can microwave the pancake in a greased mug to make a muffin.

Have fun experimenting - I think it helps.

Good luck!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote