Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 301.2/212.4/135

Height: 4'11

Unhappy the mirror is my ememy

When i was over 250 lbs I used to hate looking in the mirror but now I'm using the weight I still look big. Is it all in my mind of what? Lol i know I'm losing weight from my clothes but I still see no lose. Is dat normal?
babygurl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/227/155

Height: 5'8"

I have to think about it this way.. You see yourself in some way every day, so even when there is just a tinsy bit of change we don't notice.. but if you haven't seen someone in a while that doesn't see you every day they notice a rather big change.

It's just how our minds sort of perceive things. Kind of like how you don't really notice how much your hair has grown until you need another trim, or look back at how much shorter it was seven months ago.
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #3  

Yes I realize dat sometimes lol. I know sooner or later I will see the change. My mom see it but you know dats mom lol I'm her baby she wuld never tell me da truth lol
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I started off hating looking in the mirror, and at around halfway to goal I found that I liked what I see in the mirror. You've made a lot of progress, but you've still got a way to go. Just give it time, hon, and maybe try looking in the full length mirror less often?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Esofia—give it time and you will soon love what you see!

I remember when I hit 20 pounds lost and I hated how I looked. I thought that I had worked so hard, lost 20 pounds and instead of loving myself more, I hated what I saw. I felt like I had taken two steps forward and five steps back.

When I hit 40 pounds lost, I did double takes when I saw myself in the mirror. I remember thinking "that's me?" and I would stare at myself for several moments.

Most recently, after I passed the 50 pound milestone, I didn't recognize myself in a mirror and then a picture. I remember passing a mirror in a department store and wondering who the girl was in the mirror out of the corner of my eye. I went back, looked and realized it was me! I also took a picture of myself while trying on dresses a few weeks back and when looking at the pictures a few days later, I didn't realize that it was me.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

I've lost 60 pounds and I STILL can't see the difference in the mirror. Other people are starting to notice and comment and honestly I'm confused by it because I just don't see it. I think it's just more difficult for us to notice the changes in ourselves.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260

Height: 6'4"

Default Relection

The mirror is nothing more than a reflection and sometimes those reflections can be distorted. Distortions in life are usually in our mind. Allow your mind to become familiar with the new person and the mirror will see the real you. It sounds corny but what I am saying is that your memory is of another person, give it time.
AndrewCribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #8  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Pictures help me tremendously. And not clothed ones either. Maybe go back to clothing you wore when you first started and see how they hang off of you. That helps me. Or take a pic in those clothes and compare them to an older picture of when they fit. As much as I hate seeing myself naked (well in undies) I still take the pics cause now I'm really starting to notice a differnce in my body when I compare. When I'm just looking in the mirror I don't see it at all.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'2"

I honestly hate the mirror! I sometimes still the 204 lb. me from 4 years ago. Even at my lowest (135 lbs) I still sometimes saw myself as I was before. The mirror is not my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMe View Post
Pictures help me tremendously. And not clothed ones either. Maybe go back to clothing you wore when you first started and see how they hang off of you. That helps me. Or take a pic in those clothes and compare them to an older picture of when they fit. As much as I hate seeing myself naked (well in undies) I still take the pics cause now I'm really starting to notice a differnce in my body when I compare. When I'm just looking in the mirror I don't see it at all.
I think I'm going to start taking pictures. I never did when I initially lost weight, maybe that would have helped me realize how different my body was.
KaylaChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #10  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
I started off hating looking in the mirror, and at around halfway to goal I found that I liked what I see in the mirror. You've made a lot of progress, but you've still got a way to go. Just give it time, hon, and maybe try looking in the full length mirror less often?
Weight loss tends to show in the face and wrists first so don't get discouraged. Just know that you will start to see the progress you crave if you stick to plan.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm another who has to agree that it can be hard to see changes in the mirror. I could kind of see my body getting smaller, but until I took a picture to send to my DH when I was out shopping, it didn't really hit home that I'd lost weight.

I was looking at the picture on my phone when I was sending the email and almost did a double take when I realised it was me.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMe View Post
Maybe go back to clothing you wore when you first started and see how they hang off of you.
This has helped me SO MUCH. It can be really hard to see the change in yourself, even if you are buying smaller clothes. I remember thinking that maybe things ran big when I started to buy mediums (now I can't get over that I can buy SMALLS. WTF)

A while back I tried on a 2X blouse that I had, remembering that it was tight on me because it ran small. I thought that since I had lost some weight and could buy mediums that maybe the blouse fit. I put it on the blouse and it was SO BIG ON ME! I stood there in shock for several moments and screeched, "But this was tight on me!" as if that would magically shrink the blouse.

I'm working on finally getting rid of clothes as I've slowly come to accept that they don't fit anymore.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #13  

Thank y'all so much. I'm starting take pics and my clothes are getting bigger. I can do stuff that I couldn't do b4. That's how I can tell.