Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #1  
IATEJEN

S/C/G: 172.5/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy Stalled before I even get going

Let me preface this post by asking you all to please forgive the whining, as I very much have a feeling that is how this is going to come out...

I have designated Mondays as my official weigh-days (although I have an addiction to the scale that has me unofficially weighing at least once a day). So, this is my third week in and I have barely seen a blip on the scale. Started at 172.5 and am at 169.2 as of today. I know that I should be happy with any loss at all but I feel like I am putting so much energy and thought into making good choices and pushing myself to exercise.

In the past three weeks, I have not cheated once. My daily calories have consistently fallen below 1100 per day. I have only had two days without some kind of activity (whether it be a 3.5 mile walk/jog around my neighborhood, an hour at the gym, or the kettleball class that I started last week).

I'm getting discouraged and am trying very hard to not throw in the towel. But, it is so hard... I actually had the conversation in my head this morning of "If I'm not going to see results, why not have that pumpkin spice whoopie pie that is calling my name?" I know that I need to get into a mindset of this journey being about my health as much as my physical appearance. I'm just not sure how to flip that switch.

Thanks for listening...
iatejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #2  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Maybe I should say what I think everyone else will say... your calories might be too low! I am the same height as you and I am trying to lose 1 lb a week (so I would be thrilled with your loss!) and I can actually lose 2 lbs a week eating my 1900 calories a day with only about 1.5 hours a week of cardio! Give it a go, and even if this scares you, try calorie cycling so that one day you hit 2000 calories and another you might eat 1100!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #3  
Bewildering Array of Size

S/C/G: 254/251/147

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Same thing with me...

though I've got quite a bit more weight to lose than you. I will tell you two things--

One, boost your calorie intake to at least 1200. You're very tall, and getting 1100 a day is just not enough for you and the activity you list. Your metabolism is taking a hit if you don't.

Second, and this is what I'm going to HAVE to do: consider stopping the weigh-ins. Hear me out, cuz I know this isn't a popular conception: I've been sticking to a wonderful eating regimen, including lots of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and no refined grains. I've been taking in between 1000 and 1500 calories a day, working out at least five days a week, for three weeks total. I was excessively proud of my progress, and yes, my clothes were already fitting looser. Then, I got on a scale, and it showed I'd only lost three pounds.

My pride quickly dissolved into a crying jag.

Then I realized that the scale was the least important input in this plan. Yes, I want to lose weight, and I will--I just have to keep doing the things I'm doing. I will weight myself maybe once a month to see if I need to "tweak" my program, but as of right now, I don't want to see the damned thing. Stepping on it that one time made me realize I needed to work hard to boost my metabolism in the morning (switching to oatmeal instead of yogurt, and walking two miles before 6am instead of at 1pm), but that's it.

Good luck to you.
Livelychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #4  

Whining is totally fine.

In the long run you might grow to embrace this small changes (I know I have). For example, you dropped before 170. For some reason psychologically getting out of a group of 10s motivates me.

But yes, slow progress is hard. However, in the long run I keep reminding myself that slow is fine as long as I eventually get there and then maintain it.

I am 5'6" and definitely eat more than you and still losing weight. I also am keeping active.

Good luck
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #5  
IATEJEN

S/C/G: 172.5/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, all!

My fiance had the same suggestion - that maybe I'm not taking in enough calories for my body to be working optimally. But, eating more just seems so wrong! I have definitely changed the "quality" of what I have been eating, too. I went from probably way over 2,000 calories a day of crap to filling up on veggies, fiber and lean meats. And, I'm always full. I'm having to force myself to eat more than 2 meals a day at this point. How do I increase my calories in a healthy way?

I think I'm going to tuck the scale away until my birthday (December 2) and just focus on how my body feels and how my clothes fit. Then I can see what that feeling equates to as a number on the scale. It'll be interesting to see how hard it is for me to not sneak it out of hiding. Might have to have the fiance hide it from me.
iatejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #6  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I'd suggest adding in healthy fats if you're feeling too full to eat more, avocado, nuts.. Those foods will up your calories quickly without adding much bulk to your food intake. Besides, who doesn't need a spoonful of peanut butter every so often? ;-) you're tall like me and exercising a lot, I'd DIE on 1,100 a day. have you thought of calorie cycling? I like it because I can have my "low days" and still feel like I am taking charge and in control, and then I can have higher days that I might save for a special night out or even for a day when I'm just extra hungry. That's worked best for me! Don't give up! Slow and steady wins the race! I hope that helps...
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey Girl,
i dont know what your expectations were/are, BUT you lost 3 pounds in 3 weeks! Thats a pound a week...
ESPECIALLY when you consider you are already in the "vanity pounds " range (ie;; already a "healthy BMI") It is giong to be SLOW GOING. REALLY SLOW. Those last 10-20 pounds can be BRUTAL and take forever.. so id celebrate every darn pound lost. A pound a week is nothing to sneeze at
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote