General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Ug, I think I screwed up a job opportunity

I've been looking around for a new job and have an onsite interview scheduled with one company in a week. Another company a friend referred me to contacted me to ask some questions and ask for my portfolio. I responded, told them I was very interested and had heard great things about working there so I was excited by the opportunity, but also mentioned I had an onsite interview with another company in a few days and would be very interested in moving forward with interviews as soon as possible.

I'm now really regretting it.. I think I may have overshot in my excitement and ended up sounding pushy, especially since I don't have an offer from the first company yet (but I'm pretty confident, considering I've worked with the team lead for years.)

Anyway I don't know for sure yet if I've shot myself in the foot since I didn't respond till late Friday, but I worry that I did. It's going to be a long weekend waiting to find out if they ever respond.

I'm just so bummed I let my excitement get the best of me.. ug.

Last edited by my2cats; 10-29-2011 at 11:53 AM.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #2  

This will be lame advice - but try not to think about it too much. The response is out there; and now you have to just wait.

I can see what you were worried about (being over-pushy) but on the other hand, at least they know that you have another interview standing and that if they want you they do need to jump on it.

If they don't like your excitement than maybe they don't deserve you!

Best of luck. I hope you get a great job one way or another!
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't think they will think you are being pushy. They will notice that you may have other offers which should make you more desireable in their eyes.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

You're fine. One response like that is not overkill by any means-I think you're just being honest about the situation (or as honestly as you see it right now). Don't worry about it! I think sometimes people have a tendency to second guess themselves when it's a about something they really want. Don't worry! And don't think about it, just enjoy your weekend as best you can :-)
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #5  

Thanks guys, appreciate the support. I think it'll really depend on the recruiter and the company need how they respond to it.

I also currently have a decent job so I'm not desperate.. it would just be a good chance to work with some cool people. But I'm also really interested in the job I already have the onsite for... sooooo, we'll see how it goes.

Fingers crossed I guess, and live and learn.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

As someone who reviews resumes and interviews candidates, I think it was fine. I like when people are upfront about their situation. If they like your work they will schedule you as soon as possible. If not, then it probably wasn't a good fit anyway.

Good luck on your interviews!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #7  

Whew, thanks for the support guys! I just wanted to follow up - the recruiter got back to me this morning, and didn't really say anything either way about the other job interview, but we have been clipping along through the process of filling out forms and setting up next steps interviews, so I don't think they're upset.

Thanks for the kind words; helped me get through the weekend without going crazy.