UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Anyone tried Zero Noodles? low cal, low carb noodles??

Hi everyone, I have just joined as I satrted a low cal, low carb diet about 2 weeks ago now...which is going great! but Im starting to get a little bored without pasta, rice and potato now

So anyway, I just heard about these Zero Noodles and they sound amazing! but a little too good to be true! so before i order some I just wanted to know if anyone had tried them and if so are they any good?

They are meant to be zero carbs, zero fat, zero sugar etc and only 10cals per pack.

Please let me know if you have tried them.

thanks in advance xx
missloulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #2  

i'm looking forward to trying it too - i love noodles and this sounds great. HOWEVER it seems these are just very plain possibly not that tasty .... Have found a few places to buy from - which would u choose? It's a bit of an investment ...

zeronoodles website, japanesekitchen and miraclenoodle website, it's called shirataki noodles in Japan it seems.
prettychickpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

I'm not in the UK, but happened to notice your post from the main page. It sounds like Zero Noodles are just an expensive (and well-marketed) name brand of konnyaku (konjac) noodles, which are also called shirataki. If you're concerned about the price, you may be able to find a lesser-known brand that's essentially the same thing by searching under some of these other names. Konjac products shouldn't be that overpriced, so you ought to be able to find a better deal by bypassing the slick marketing and looking elsewhere. Besides looking online, you might even consider checking out some Chinatown stores, since they tend to carry "trendy" products from Asia at non-trendy prices.

By the way, products made from konjac won't be the same texture as the traditional pasta or ramen noodle, so you might want to get your hands on a small package first to see if you like it. Most konjac products are a bit chewy (slightly chewier than a gummy candy), and some people just can't get used to it. I've never had it in noodle form, so I can't comment on that, but it does make for excellent snacks when spices are added.
slowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #4  

Thanks Slowrunner, I have just ordered from ZeroNoodles as they are the cheapest i could find online (also I quite like the packageing info in english so i know what im eating ) but i will definatly have a look in my local asian supermarket if i like them.

You apparently just add them to stir frys ect and they absorbe the flavour of the sauce that you cook them in. I will let you know what they are like once i recieve them...but for only 10 cals i think i will learn to love them
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #5  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Shirataki noodles (if that is indeed what these are, as it seems) are great as long as you prepare them correctly. They are best in sauces with a ton of flavor. Also the texture is a bit different than you might expect. But if they are prepared properly before use, they are a superb substitute for pasta.

You have to rinse them thoroughly, drain them really well, pat them dry on paper towels, and then toss them around in a hot frying pan until ALL moisture is removed from them. If you do this before preparing them in a recipe, the texture will be as close as possible to "real" pasta. If you leave moisture in them, they will seem slimy and rubbery.

BTW shirataki noodles are available from my local health food store; you might find them marketed under a different name for less than the "Zero Noodles".

The hungry-girl website has a bunch of recipes for use with Shirataki noodles.

Happy noodling!
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #6  

Thumbs up

Thats awsome, thanks shr1nk1ngme, I shall take your advice when preparing them. Are they quite popular in the US then? I think they are prety new to the UK.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #7  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I found them by accident in my local natural grocery store. I have to say that I love them!!!! They are now a staple in my fridge. I use them in soups and stir fry. Here they're called shirataki noodles like others have mentioned. They keep them in the section with the refrigerated tofu.

They remind me of an al dente noodle. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't absorb the sauces like real pasta does, it's more or less about bulk and a vessel to carry the sauce to your mouth .
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #8  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I tried them. They tasted okay and the texture was fine. After I ate them, I planned on buying more, but then they just SAT in my stomach and didn't budge. I got nauseous from it just because it felt so heavy. Definitely not a fan.

I'll stick to real noodles or ones made from zucchini or potato.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177.7/150.8/132

Here in Japan they are super popular and they are SUPER CHEAP!
In fact, look at what I have in my fridge :P

I'm sure you can find it in the local Asian stores, you'll be looking for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

I have bought them and I actually made a dish a few weeks back with Konnyaku:

it's the brownish stuff.
As mentioned, BE VERY CAREFUL to cook them first, so that they lose that awful smell they come with, then let them dry before actually putting them into the proper food.

It tastes like nothing in particular and just takes in the flavours from whatever it's in... I didn't have any major issues with the consistency, you just have to chew it.

I also buy here zero calorie konjac jelly "drinks" as snacks, if you find someone who imports them to the US, I can't recommend them highly enough!!!
nevaeh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 177.7/150.8/132

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiannaKole View Post
I tried them. They tasted okay and the texture was fine. After I ate them, I planned on buying more, but then they just SAT in my stomach and didn't budge. I got nauseous from it just because it felt so heavy. Definitely not a fan.

Ouch with me they... Make everything come out, but not in a bad way

The Japanese call it the broomstick of the stomach, if you know what I mean!!!
nevaeh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiannaKole View Post

I use them, but SPARINGLY. I'll use 1/2 to 1 serving size, never more.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #12  

The broomstick...ekk! I wish they had that effect on me. I find they sit really well in my stomach...almost feel soothing...weirdly. But i think Im used to ALOT of fiber.
Anyway, I recieved my Zero Noodles a few days ago and i LOVE them! they are very filling which is good for me and they are really enjoyably when used in soups and stir frys. I actually made a chicken laksa with them last night and i must say it was amazing and actually so filling that i only ate half of it (this is never heard of with me...bit of a plate cleaner)
The best part s that they are only 20 cals per pack so it easy to stick to my cal allowance with my evening meal. happy happy girl!

Defo worth a try!!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #13  
Starting Over!

S/C/G: 138/134/123

Height: 5'4 1/2

I like shirataki noodles... I just make sure to rinse, drain, pat them dry, and then I stick them in a sauce pan for a few minutes. I like them with asian flavors - soy sauce, thai peanut, etc. I used to make amazing chicken pad thai with them for less than 200 cals for a huge dish!
StoneFree is offline   Reply With Quote