Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/243.8/146

Height: 5'8"

Default Ravenous appetite before TOM...

TOM should be here Weds or Thurs, and I feel like I am bingeing. Happens every single time. Does anyone have suggestions about curbing my appetite? I think I've already reached my daily calorie quota for the day, and I haven't had dinner, lol.
noelle8310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #2  

I get the same way! My appetite is ferocious right before TOM and occasionally during ovulation I notice an increase in appetite too, but not as bad as right before TOM. I have thought a lot about this and I think I have probably gained most of my weight during that week, month after month. I probably took in enough calories that week each month to add on a pound or two every month without really realizing it. I eat mostly healthy foods and don't really think much about food the other weeks of the month, but during TOM it is terrible. This is something I am working on and trying to be mentally aware of so I can control it when I get to maintenance. I have read that low calcium and magnesium can contribute to PMS, so I have been making sure I am getting in both of these nutrients all month, but especially 2 weeks to 10 days before TOM. Other than that, I try to fill up on less calorie dense foods where I can eat more volume but not break the calorie bank.
Hang in there, only a couple more days and your appetite will be back to normal. The good news is that I have heard you burn up to 300 extra calories those days, so try to think of the hunger as a good thing!
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 7''

Aww man I wish I had the answer...I feel it too
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I have the same issue with hunger, but before and during ovulation more than before/during TOM. What I do is make a huge salad of lettuce, cucumbers, red peppers, and other low calorie veggies (dressing is homemade with lemon juice, crushed garlic, and cumin). I get the volume I need to fill my hungry stomach (lots of fiber and water), but not the added calories.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #5  

Thanks, ladies! I'm definitely going to try a large salad. I've never made my own dressing, so I am going to give it a shot.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #6  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

I'm the same way! I have been taking Midol Complete after a friend recommended it and it helps a lot. Not to mention it helps with water weight and bloat. I was seeing 5-7lbs weight gain during TOM and now since I take the midol complete, I maintain but no weight gain. Not sure if this is the best answer but its worth a shot.
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #7  

Thanks, Dawn! I will definitely check that out. You look great, btw! Your pictures are inspiring
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #8  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

No problem, I actually found that t he store brand works just as well and a lot cheaper Thanks...I feel so much better about myself, I hope the pics inspire anybody that's trying to lose weight
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #9  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I think it's a fairly common phenomenon to have increased hunger (and usually for the most unfortunate things) before TOM. I sure as heck get it.

Sometimes I anticipate it if I glance at the calendar and think "Oh, TOM is coming next week...I'm going to be ravenous this weekend!" But more often than not, I don't really pay attention to my TOM schedule, and so the hunger sneaks up on me. I ferociously crave junk food. I crave sweets 100% of the time, but during those few days, I want sweets and grease, lol. I feel like I'd trade my left nipple for a Big Mac when any other time of the month, I'd actually prefer to avoid a Big Mac. Sometimes I don't even make the connection why I'm so desperately hungry until Aunt Flo finally knocks on my door, and I think "Ohhhh, no wonder!"
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #10  

Hahahahaha, I just seriously lol'd at that post. I am the same way! Well, it doesn't sneak up on me, as I am on birth control. It comes like clockwork, almost to the day. And right before it comes, I have to physical force myself not to run out into my office's hallway where our vending machines are located. Which, mind you, I failed to do today...Doritos and Pepsi? 510 cals? Oh that just fits in perfectly with my diet. Sometimes you just have to give into temptation, or you will end up getting so frustrated that you binge.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #11  
Iron Love Handles

S/C/G: 175

Height: 5"5'

Has anyone tried "going with it"? I have just started calorie counting, but I've been dreading my first TOM. So, I've restricted my calories to about 1100 calories for the part of my cycle where it isn't so difficult, and was planning on bumping it up to 1500 for about 4 days when I know the cravings will be at their worst.
ironlovehandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

A variation on calorie cycling, you mean? Interesting idea. I can see that working, if you can subsist happily on the lower calorie level most of the time, and especially if you only get cravings for a few days a month. You'd probably want to know exactly when your period was due, though, and you'd need to have fairly consistent numbers of days with cravings every month. Fertility Awareness Method tracking is really good for knowing exactly when your period's due. I use it myself as I have PMDD and menstrual migraine.

Thankfully I don't get the munchies badly enough for it to be an issue, I'm just watching this thread as I'm interested in hormonal variation. I did get really hungry after supper before my last period, but thankfully four rice cakes sorted me out for just over 100 calories. At least I can't go anywhere near chocolate around my period, as it's a migraine trigger for me.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #13  

Ironlovehandles-that's a great idea!! I should try doing that.

Esofia I would say you are lucky that chocolate gives you migraines, but I know how miserable migraines make me, so nothing lucky about that :P I craaaave chocolate like nobodies business. It's not even right. I was drooling over the idea of chocolate chip cookies from the vending machine at work, but got called into a meeting, so I couldn't have them. Thank goodness for small favors. I think I am going to try a slight variation of calorie cycling.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

PMS/TOM hunger really played a huge role in my weight problem. For most of my life, I felt as though I had a "one week window of opportunity" to lose weight. Just to maintain my weight I had to be very dilligent, because the weight I would gain during "that week" would take two to three weeks to get off. At best, I had a few days to a week to actually lose.

Prescription birth control helped considerably (although I discovered that they're not all equally helpful. I had to change bc because of an insurance issue a couple years ago, and it's not as good at keeping hunger and PMDD symptoms at bay).

My mood swings were so severe that hubby called me "werewolf" because of the moodswings and cravings for red meat and chocolate.

I find that low-carb (but relatively light on red meat and fat) really helps the pms hunger.

I can indulge my beef and chocolate craving a little bit, but if I go hog-wild I tend to have worse cramps and skin issues. I have to be very careful with sugar and starches, because those kind of carbs (even if they come from healthy sources such as sweet potatoes, whole grains or fruit) tend to worsen hunger issues (and skin breakouts also).

Lots of non-starchy veggies and large low-cab salads help with the "must eat" munchies. I have to be especially aware of "volumetrics" principles - choosing foods with more volume per calorie. I also use a lot of low-calorie "filler," things like

super-low-calorie soups (low-fat meat or vegetable broths or bouillon with egg white and/or low-calorie veggies).

snow cones (I love my shaved ice maker).

sugar free jello

diet sodas and Crystal Light

large lettuce salads - either as a snack, side dish, or as a "bed" for other foods.

One of my favorite pms foods is a huge "taco salad" A huge mound of shredded lettuces, sliced green onion, salsa, and one taco-bell or taco john's corn shell taco, crumbled onto the lettuce, with a little greek yogurt or light sour cream.

Where pms is concerned, I'm always food-obsessed so high volume seems to help.

I also crave comfort-foods, so I've made some adaptations. For example I love mashed potatoes, so I'll make mashed cauliflower and add in one servings worth of mashed potato flakes )for 2.5 lb cauliflower, that amounts to only about 10 more calories or 2-3g of carbs per serving.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-19-2011 at 11:38 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote