PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #1  
[url=http://www.TickerFac

Height: 5'4

Talking PCOS story

Hello all!!! A week ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. I a new to this forum and I was curious about everyone's story....How did you know you had PCOS...what did you do....how have you lost weight/controlled symptoms...It makes me feel better I am not the only one in the world.

I will start out with my story....as a kid I ALWAYS battled my weight. In 8th grade I started the Body for Life diet. It worked wonders! I did this diet up untill my senior year of high school. I weighed 150lbs, started at 200lbs, I was a size 7/8, and I'm 5'4 and 1/2. I managed to maintain my weight for three years. I might also note I worked on cars, which helped me maintain my muscles. I had NO signs of PCOS. Until I got pregnant. I was fine for the first 5 months of pregnancy, then the last four I gained over 100lbs....wow over 100lbs in four months!!!! I got hair on my belly, chest, face...I thought it was prego hormones...my doc did not know what was going on either. For three years after my pregnancy I have maintained a weight of 310. I go on diets, watch what I eat and exercise. I recently did a diet and did not loose a pound!! I was reading October's issue of SHAPE magazine and it had an article on PCOS. I thought I might have it so I made an app with the doc. I told her all of my symptoms hair, weight, light irregular periods....all of which happened since pregnancy. She pulled out the ultra sound machine and looked at my ovaries....they looked like they were wrapped in bubble wrap. She gave me a confused look and told me I had PCOS and that it was a miracle I got pregnant in the first place. She told me because I was so active before my pregnancy I had no symptoms!!! She said once you become inactive PCOS will take over. Because my weight was under control I had MUSCLE to burn fat at a resting rate...I had no symptoms I even ovulated regularly....

I am now going back to body for life so I can get back to being "ME". You eat six times a day, strength train, and focus on protein rather than carbs. It is a LIFESTYLE change, not just a diet. I hope someone else can benefit from this diet and my story I look forward to my weight loss journey and sharing it with you.

I understand that this is a "syndrome" being different for everyone...just want to share stories...

Last edited by Pookey001; 10-15-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Pookey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I had Ancanthosis nigricans as a child -- the patches on my elbows have ALWAYS been there. Then the skin tags in elementary/middle school in my armpits popped up. An obsession with wheat bread/sweet tooth nearly lifelong. Got first period at 13.5 and then not again until AGES after, never was regular. Finally went on BCP at 16 to help with that. Then weird weight gain at 19/20 -- a HUGE amount really quick. Energy failing. Woozy. Blood sugar weirdies.

So the signs have always been there that I had untreated and undiagnosed PCOS and Insulin Resistance and later Syndrome X. IF you knew how to look. Unfortunately nobody connected the dots til somewhere around 2002 when we were trying to have kids.

What if I'd decided NOT to have kids? Would the dx have been even later? Who knows.

One miscarriage, almost lost this kid, emergency C-sect, gestational diabetes, eclampsia, you name it. It was a rough pregnancy.

I've been up and down and all around since giving her birth trying to drop the pounds.

My blood work is now good, my IR is in tight control, but the pounds? That is proving hard to shift. But I keep trying.

So hang in there with yours in whatever manifestation you've got. We come in at least 5 types!

You def are NOT alone!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-17-2011 at 12:53 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I had my first period at the age of 9 but didn't really kick in until 11 and then my weight ballooned. I was a chubby kid but went from chubby to morbidly obese at 300 lbs by the age of 14. I struggled and despite all the nutritionists and doctors and exercising, I couldn't lose weight. My periods were irregular and heavy. Sometimes lasting 2-3 weeks and then disappearing for a year. I also had AN on my neck, underarms and inner thighs. And the excess hair which has been my bane.

Anyway, in my late 20s, I was diagnosed with PCOS and put on BCPs. My periods were regular and I was able to lose weight for the first time in my life. I lost 160 lbs at one point but gained a few lbs to maintain a 150lb loss for 3 years... That is until this year when my BCP was switched and I've had a rough year. I thought initially it was a temporary gain due to hormone changes but no. I've gained a few lbs and have had trouble losing them. I go see a new gyn on Tuesday so hopefully this gets resolved soon.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote