Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 292/249/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Pre-Making Meals

Hi ladies,
I'm doing fairly well but I'm getting really, really bored and frustrated when I get hungry and have to search for things to eat. Do you have any suggestions for pre-making food to store in the fridge? I've been doing omelettes for breakfast..but that eventually gets old too....any suggestions would be awesome!
LayLay2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

interesting Q!!! if you can tolerate cottage cheese and yogurt, it's a good idea to keep these on hand. i SWORE by deviled eggs - and there were usually a couple of hardboiled ones in the frig to give me a start.

at one point, beef jerky was my best friend, along with cheese. hmmm. what else? my brain's not quite awake yet - i'm sure someone else will have some great ideas.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely second the deviled eggs!

I was way too lazy for omeletes, but I would make mini crustless quiches (some folks call them egg muffins) by putting whatever toppings/fillings I wanted in the cups of a muffin tin and then pouring egg over them and topping with cheese - bake until cooked, and voila! single-serving egg meals that refrigerate and reheat very well.

Other than that, I think I almost always had leftovers around from the prior night's dinner. Oh, and rolled up lunch meat and cheese dipped in mayo and/or mustard. And, honestly, protein shakes - once I found some I really liked, I would have one twice a day. I actually miss them (avoiding them now due to not wanting artificial sweeteners during pregnancy)!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #4  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Eggface recently had an interesting post where she shows a bunch of "yogurt parfait" make ahead breakfast ideas. They look yummy.

Let's see if they let me link it here . .

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.bl...arfection.html
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #5  
Releasing the inner hiker

I like to get a container of Fage 0% Greek yogurt and immediately weigh out 3oz into individual Glad containers (the 1/2c ones) and put 1oz of Smuckers Sugar Free jelly (and Benefiber) on top. I tend to grab them for breakfast and lunch, with a cheese stick. I've done this with ricotta cheese and hummus as well. I've been cleared for protein bars, so sometimes I grab one of those instead.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #6  

Try cutting up some vegetables, adding tuna or chicken and some dressing. You can even leave it in the fridge till the next day and it's still as yummy as ever. I also love cheese and could eat that all day long. I keep hard boiled eggs at my beck and call.
WinterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/249/180

Height: 5'9"

Thank you all for the suggestions! I can't do cottage cheese..I've tried and it totally makes me feel ill..the texture, everything.

Jiffy- I didn't know if beef jerky was allowed so I kind of stayed clear of it. Does any of it have sugar? Is there a certain brand I should look for?

Zeitgeist- What kind of protein bars are you using? I've looked at tons and all of them have sugar in the ingredients.

Jilly- I've been searching for a protein powder but have yet to find one I like. That's why I'm having a hard time getting all of my protein in.

Last edited by LayLay2011; 10-13-2011 at 01:34 AM.
LayLay2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

jerky MIGHT have some sugar [check the label], but it's so high in protein that the little bit of sugar is overwhelmed. make sure you choose a brand that's soft and chewy - and it might not be the right thing for you right at this time, but it'll get better!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayLay2011 View Post
Zeitgeist- What kind of protein bars are you using? I've looked at tons and all of them have sugar in the ingredients.

Jilly- I've been searching for a protein powder but have yet to find one I like. That's why I'm having a hard time getting all of my protein in.
Some protein bars I like:
  • Atkins chocolate peanut butter (not the granola type ones, but the ones that are peanut butter with chocoate on the outside)
  • PowerCrunch bars: they are made with Splenda and are not super dense like other bars, more like wafer cookies
  • EAS CarbAdvantEdge cookies n' cream (lots of sugar alcohols, though, so I usually only ate 1/2 at a time instead of the whole thing or else be ready for GAS!)
My favorite protein powder EVER:
  • Dymatize brand Elite Whey Protein Isolate in Chocolate Mint (I would mix with unsweetened almond milk) - I buy from netrition.com or vitacost.com because both have nice cheap flat-rate shipping
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #10  
Releasing the inner hiker

I know there are much better, tastier protein bars out there, but I have been eating the Pure Protein bars. To be truthful, I haven't even looked at the sugars (shocking!). My nut said I was cleared for them and to try Pure Protein, which I already had from my preop days. I haven't had any problems with them.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #11  
Let's try this again . .

my favorite are the Oh Yeah bars . . . .soooo good. But soy protein makes me break out so I've been eating Quest bars with Whey protein. Just okay . .
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemarie View Post
my favorite are the Oh Yeah bars . . . .soooo good. But soy protein makes me break out so I've been eating Quest bars with Whey protein. Just okay . .
I got samples of the Quest bars and liked the flavor but didn't much care for the super chewy texture. They do have good ingredients, though, as far as not a lot of "frankenfood" type stuff. I wanted to mention that I've heard that taking the Quest bars and popping in the microwave for a few seconds softens and warms them to more of a chewy/fudgy warm brownie consistency, so maybe something to try
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #13  
Let's try this again . .

I've actually done that with the ones I've tried-one i did too long and it was awful but 10-15 seconds does help. I've only tried the apple pie (meh) and the vanilla almond (better) and I bet I'd like a choc one better. And yes-it's the chewy texture that gets me too . . ..