Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Weight lose and perimenopause

I think am at the start of menopause (perimenopause) and I am finding it more difficult to maintain my weight, never mind lose weight. I have cut carbs, ate more fruit and vegi's, and excercised more but the weight seems to slowly creep up as soon as I slack off or treat myself for a few days. Any suggestions from anyone?
bubsy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsy111 View Post
but the weight seems to slowly creep up as soon as I slack off or treat myself for a few days. Any suggestions from anyone?
I'm in perimenopause too, but I have to say, this has always been the case with me!

It's especially true if you are trying to be low carb when you aren't "treating" yourself. Don't get me wrong -- I'm a huge fan of low carb and it's what works for me to stay closer to plan. But if you go from a low carb diet to a diet with carby treats for a few days, several pounds of water weight will probably come along for the ride.

I am personally struggling with trying to find something that works for maintenance, and all the maintainers will tell you that it has to look a lot like whatever you did to lose weight.

So, basically, you need to find a plan that you can live with -- to lose weight and to maintain. You have to expect that if you "treat" yourself for a few days, that you will gain weight. So, either you need to combat those treat days with weeks of strict on plan weight loss, or you need to find a way to work those treats into your plan. Finding what works for you is key -- and not giving up, trying new things until you find it is what makes the difference!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #3  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

That seems to be my case as well. Plus my body keeps storing the added weight just around my tummy!! Maybe I should try cutting out the carbs too - I know I had done that before and it seemed to help some. I didnt eat potatoes at all!! Right now I am training for my first marathon so its not an option but after the marathon I am going to switch things up!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #4  

Thanks!... I do know when I cut carbs I do loose the weight but there just seems to be missing from my diet and thus the treat days....I guess I need to find something to fill whatever is missing when I cut the carbs.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/184/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi Bubsy, just wanted to say that you are not alone. I am in the exact same situation: perimenopausal (I think...), low carb diet and if I "go off the track", I'll see my weight creeping up as well. Unfortunately this means that what yoyoma said: keeping a strict plan or exercising a bit more after a splurge.
Annalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

I believe I am perimenopausing also. It is difficult to lose weight. I am now just happy to lose 1 or 2 lbs a month.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #7  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

Height: 5'6"

I am post menopause (surgery for cancer) but found it easy to lose weight just counting calories. Believe me, I had weight issues all my life and love to eat! I am 64 and not as active as I should be.

But by just counting calories and not excluding any kind of food (except I don't eat any kind of meat as I'm vegetarian) I don't feel deprived at all. I enjoy wine, chocolate and anything else I want, just in moderation.

This is the first eating plan that ever worked and I am maintaining on it. I chose this approach as it will be manageable for a lifetime--it's not a "diet".

Everybody is different and you may have different metabolic issues than I do. But I'm writing to encourage you to stick with it, no matter how slowly the weight comes off. You can take pleasure in your healthy eating which is a good thing at any weight.
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #8  

Thanks for the tip blueheron. I have never been good at counting or keeping track of my calorie intake but I guess I will give it a try.