Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default Holiday's around the corner what are you doing?

With the holidays around the corner I would like to get a jump start on them what do you do for the holidays?? I am new at this and would like to know how you deal with the holidays. If you have a good receipe please share it
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

My extended family members do not know that I have diabetes. Our family has always included huge relish trays at all our celebrations. Lots of fresh veggies, pickles, etc. It really helps me because I can snack to my hearts content without consequences and it isn't noticed.

As for the deserts, and holiday foods. I plan to enjoy in small amounts.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/209/150

Height: 5' 4"

WoW this is a good thread - I'm new here also and our family is in South Texas which means it includes so many forbidden foods such as bunuelos ect. I'm not what you call a ideal diabetic for when it comes to the foods esp holiday foods I try to get just a small amount to really just taste it - that tends to help me not wanna just over enjoy if you know what I mean. I have found that if I totally forbid myself from it I will totally give in to some temptation in the future. Look forward to anyone else's idea's.
Roxsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #4  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

If you're going somewhere as a guest, it is a good idea to bring something that might not otherwise be on the usual menu. While I'm not a big consumer of artificial sweeteners, there are times when it makes sense. Thanksgiving is one of those times. When I brought a sugar free pudding pie in a reduced fat commercially prepared graham cracker crust to my inlaws, all the kids wanted it because next to apple, pumpkin and custard pies, mine seemed most "different" and appealing to them. I kept saying this is DIET and not for you--making care to tell their parents it contained aspertame or nutrasweet or whatever the AS was, but the kids wanted it anyhow so the the next time I made 2 - a regular pudding pie and a sugar free pudding pie, complete with 2 different cool whip toppings. This year I'm considering the skinnytaste.com no-bake cheesecake!

So that's an idea. You can always bring some sort of reduced sugar or sugar free dessert so when the pies come out you can enjoy it too.

Perhaps baked pears or apples?

Generally, for most get togethers, I'll bring a tray of raw veg and dip. Since my recent discovery that I absolutely love greek yogurt, I'd substitute that for the reduced fat sour cream. In the past, I'd never tell anyone that the dip was low cal--and they never knew the difference. I like to make it with dried spices, but add fresh parsley and chopped scallions for freshness. Delicious!

Also, I like fresh salsas. They are so easy...just for some recipes online. Basically, you need lime juice, onion, cilantro and salt. I really like pineapple salsa...adding the previous ingredients, plus a pinch of red pepper flakes. This pairs really well with chicken -- never tried it with turkey, but it possibly could be an alternative to traditional cranberry sauce???

Lastly theres the old standby "fresh fruit platter" as a good takealong.

As to the usual thanksgiving fare, years ago I traded the sweet potato casserole for plain baked sweet potatoes. No one even misses the sugar and the marshmellows!!!

My thanksgiving focus is on a lot of fresh veg, minimally prepared. I roast a lot of veg, boil a lot of veg, etc.

The "worst" offenders at my thanksgiving table are the gravy and stuffing. I tried using healthier grainier bread, but it just isn't the same. However, I did swap out turkey breakfast sausage (precooked links...way less greasy) instead of pork breakfast sausage and we all seem to like it better. I also cut down on the butter and instead add chicken boullion granules and a little bit of water to replace some butter.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all. Ya think it has something to do with the fact that it is food centric? LOL

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 11-01-2011 at 05:04 AM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/157.5/135

Height: 5'1"

I love turkey!! So that being said, I can forgoe the stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy and not feel denied. I just fill up on lots of raw veggies, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, and turkey.

I am going to experiment with some pumpkin pie recipes made with sugar substitutes. Years ago my mom would make them and they just tasted terrible. I'm hoping for some better success with all the advances in sugar subs.

Connie S
suttercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #6  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

Don't deprive yourself this season! Tis the season to be jolly, right? Don't be miserable... Enjoy your favorite holiday treats in modification!!
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote