Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #1  

Default Physical first or give it a month???! update**

Log story short I've always fought with my weight but now I've really packed on the pounds in the last 7 months. I have gained 35 lbs since march. My hair has changed - falling out and no matter what shampoo I use it is greasy. I have trouble sleeping, shortness of breath, I ache and I cannot get full. It doesn't matter what I eat - I'm hungry less than an hour later. Part of me thinks it could be medical related, the other part of menknows I've not restricted my eating nd I'm wondering if a lit of this is my body freaking out fromthe massive and fast weight gain.

I'm just lost and told dh last night I wondered if it would do me good to have a physical ( haven't had a dr check up since 10 years ago other Han me having my kids) but I'm wondering if I should just commit to one hardcore month and see if it helps.

Thoughts??

Last edited by amylou; 10-11-2011 at 04:54 PM.
amylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

If you haven't seen the doctor in ten years, it is probably a good idea to get a checkup anyway. I mean, hair falling out sounds a little unusual and maybe there is a medical concern your doctor might be able to help you with or at least discover. I'd also start on a healthier path soon as you can, whether or not you decide to go, but it's never a bad idea to be checked out.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Go to the dr. Better safe than sorry. You could have an issue that is causing the weight gain in addition to the other symptoms. Hopefully it's nothing but you will feel better knowing.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Get checked out and ask to be tested for PCOS. Testosterone can cause greasy and falling out AND the 35 lb weight gain since March.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Get checked out and ask to be tested for PCOS. Testosterone can cause greasy and falling out AND the 35 lb weight gain since March.
I was thinking of the same thing.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #6  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I put off going to the doctor for the past 6 years due to being overweight. I had to go into the office to pick up medical forms a few weeks ago, and asked to make an appointment for a physical, knowing they were booking into January, and to my surprise, the secretary asked if I could come back later that morning as there had been a cancellation. I was scared to go because I hadn't reached my goal weight yet, and was still a few pounds away from a normal BMI, but I decided that the stars had aligned like that for a reason- I'm happy I went, turns out I am vitamin D deficient (as many in the Northern Hemisphere are; you may be as well), but all other blood work came back great. It was a relief to know, and now I"m taking D supplements to straighten things out.

Go! If there are medical issues, you'll be able to get them taken care of, and if not, you'll have the relief of not having to worry about it.

Update us, please, when you've gone.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

Uncontrollable hunger is a possible sign of a number of medical issues. Or you could just be addicted to sugar like me It is better to be safe than sorry. Getting medical tests aren't something you should postpone until you feel ready to "pass" like academicl tests. You might find something that will help you in your weight loss journey, whether it be medication you need for a vitamin deficiency or perhaps something more serious like pcos or a thyroid deficiency which may have caused you to gain weight in the first place. If nothing else, if you're numbers are bad it's just more motivation to get healthy. And just because you avoid going to the doctor and choose not to find out how your health is doing isn't going to make any possible issues not exist.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #8  

So what do I call and ask for?? I don't have a family dr because mine dropped me after I spent 4 years going to my obgyn instead. do I ask for a physical or just say I'm having some symptoms??

I had an appt Monday for a physical and they just called to tell me my insurance didn't cover the nurse practicioner and now I'm on the look again.....
Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/174/145

Height: 5'5.5"

Oh no. I really wish i knew what to say. insurance SUCKS
saabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Bleh. Dealing with insurance definitely sucks! But given that you're experiencing all kinds of 'symptoms' I'd definitely get in and get it checked out. Not because I think that there's anything seriously wrong but because there may be something that is treatable that is causing your issues. Some have mentioned PCOS - also thyroid issues could cause some of the problems you've described. Both are manageable and it will help to know what you're dealing with.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #11  

I'm trying to find a doctor. - I called another one that my insurance covers and they have nurse practicioners (sp!) as well so they aren't gonna work - called my previous dr as a child and he won't see me because it's been 6 years since I went there - only my obgyn since then.

I'm wondering if I can contact my gyn? if this is hormonal maybe....
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #12  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

You need to have a regular doctor and your insurrance company should have a listing of all doctors in your area that they cover. If they don't cover nurse practicitioners (which is dumb as they are a cheaper alternative and work with doctors), then just say, "I can see anyone from this office but the nurse practitioner for my insurance".

Putting it off is avoiding responsibility. I didn't go for years either and it was stupid. You could be doing irrepairable damage by letting fear and shame get the best of you. BTDT myself.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #13  

I have a call into one - the nurse practicioner is the one she said that people see the most - which leads me to believe I don't want that office anyway.

I called my old family doc again - they told me no way a couple of months ago and this time she said they would try to find my chart and go ask him if he'd see me.

I called my obgyn and they were happy to set me an appt - though since it's been 2.5 years since I've been there they are actually seeing me as a new patient - monday.

I'm going to call yet another one or two to see if I can get into someone besides my obgyn.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I am all in favour of nurse practitioners for some things, but what you need here is a doctor. While hormones do sound a possible culprit, I think that what you need is a good GP here, as your symptoms are varying so much. I have no idea how the American insurance system works, so I'm just going to wish you luck.

Meanwhile, it's probably a good idea to keep a diary of your symptoms for a week, marking how severe they are, and also a diary of how you eat. You may have put on weight purely through eating more (which could be caused by the excessive hunger), or it might not be just that, or it might not be that at all. Keep a food diary, and work out how many calories it comes to. Don't change your eating habits just yet, but do start thinking about them and looking for problem areas. These diaries will be useful for both you and the doctor. The doctor may not be interested in the food diary, but at least it will help them work out what's going on with the weight gain, even if they just ask you how many calories you've been eating and you confirm that you've been recording them accurately rather than taking wild guesses (many people hugely underestimate).

By the way, I know you're panicking, I too have experienced rapid unexplained weight gain that was probably hormone-related, but "hardcore" is not the way you want to be going. Slow, gentle weight loss, a diet and exercise plan which are pleasant to follow and which you can live with long term, that's what works the best
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Go ahead and see your ob-gyn and see what they say and also see if they will reccommend a primary physician for you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote